• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depocillin and Penstrep..what's the difference?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

Sorry to annoy you all.....:oops:

I just wondered if anyone could tell me what the difference is between Penstrep and Depocillin antibiotics? I've looked them both up and they're both procaine penicillin.

Looks like Penstrep contains 200,000 iu of Procaine Penicillin per ml and Depocillin contains 300,000 iu of Procaine Penicillin per ml.

Just wondered what the differences were between the two? My vet has prescribed Penstrep in the past for abscesses and infections and it's been very effective..

Hoping someone can advise.

Thank you,

Nicola and Herman x x x

Herman02.jpg

Depocillin is Penicillin G.

I believe Penstrep is Penicillin G with added dihydrostreptomycin to broaden the spectrum of the antibiotic's efficacy against gram negative bacteria.

Hello :wave:

Thank you so much for replying!!!:D

Do you think that would make Penstrep more effective against treating Pasteurella?

Thank you,

Nicola and Herman x x x

I'm not a vet so I can't make the call which is the better option, but my understanding is that Pasteurella is gram positive so Penicillin G should be effective without the need for dihydrostreptomycin. Also Baytril is mostly effective against gram positive but doesn't penetrate as well as Depocillin.

Pasteurella is gram positive so Penicillin G should be effective without the need for dihydrostreptomycin. Also Baytril is mostly effective against gram positive but doesn't penetrate as well as Depocillin.

That ^^^^^^^^^^^ is what my Vet says :)

Back