• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hip displasia (Eddie)

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Now Eddie's starting to hop again :D:D:D:D I thought I'd ask whether his mild hip displasia might cause him troubles at all in later life. (Now that I know he's going to have a "proper" life, using his legs.)

The hip displasia wasn't anything to do with his paralysis (which was soft tissue damage) and it was only found from the x-ray. It's only very mild. ...might it cause him problems?

Possibly arthritis and associated mobility problems I would think.
Sore hocks maybe
If pain becomes an issue then secondary GI tract hypomotility

All just possibilities, not certainties

I am really pleased to hear he is hopping again :D

Possibly arthritis and associated mobility problems I would think.
Sore hocks maybe
If pain becomes an issue then secondary GI tract hypomotility

All just possibilities, not certainties

I am really pleased to hear he is hopping again :D

He'll hop a few steps and then flop down for a rest. I smile whenever I see him move, or scratch, or lick his back foot.

I'll keep an eye out as he gets older. I know his hocks are well furred at the moment, but as he's an indoor bun with carpet and wooden floors, so it could be a problem later on. Will obviously look out for any pain signs or stiffness (right now he's still on oral metacam as his legs are still very weak.)

Thanks Jane! :D

No advice sorry but pleased to hear he is hopping :D

He just knocked over a packet of raisins! :lol::lol::lol: I think he's trouble! :shock:

I think Jane has helped with everything I should know about it, so don't be sorry about no advice.

I was thinking...as he's a giant, is it very likely that he won't live long enough for it to cause him problems. Being optimistic 6/7 isn't really old, so he might miss out on arthritis.

Well...mostly it's either staggering or tiptoeing, but I'm proud of him! :love: Thanks for your help when it first happened! :D

Still that is a big improvement!!!!! Not a problem I'm glad I was able to help you. :)
I think we need to see some pics of Eddie soon. :D xx

Way to go Eddie!! He'll be tripping you up before you know it! ;):lol:

Sooooooooo, where you hiding the photo's hmmmm? :p

Hip displasia (eddie)

I don,t know if this will be of any help to you but my Kitty Hetty has hip displasia (plus luxating patellas) i had her teated with acupuncture and this has really helped her:)it may help your Eddie too:)

I don,t know if this will be of any help to you but my Kitty Hetty has hip displasia (plus luxating patellas) i had her teated with acupuncture and this has really helped her:)it may help your Eddie too:)

Thanks. It was only noticed because of the x-ray. It hasn't caused him any trouble in the past. If it ever becomes a problem I'll bear that in mind. Thanks :)

Back