• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike - horrified

Janeliz

New Kit
I left our little girl Poppy at the vets this afternoon, she was quiet and lethargic this morning and went down hill this afternoon, just laying about. I have always been terrified about flystrike, cleaning and checking her regularly, as she lives indoors we are around her cage all the time. I trimmed her nails and combed her on Sunday, checked her yesterday and she was clear, when I got to the vets today, I was fussing her while we waited and found a damp patch at the side of her tail and saw a maggott....I am horrified and disgusted with myself for allowing this to happen to our little sweetie.
The vet has warned me that she may not make it, I am waiting for him to call and let me know how she is.
This happened so quickly, please please be thorough with checking your bunnies, I know if Poppy comes home I will be almost obsessive...but it will not happen again.

Dont be so hard on yourself,you got Poppy to the vet as soon as you noticed she was poorly.My bunnies are free range and dont like being caught let alone being picked up.I wish you and Poppy millions of vibes xxxxx

You caught it in plenty of time by being vigilant, so she has every chance. Thinking of you both.

You sound like a very caring bunny mum to me - it's just one of those horrible things that can happen to anybun'. :(

It is especially unusual for an indoor bunny to get it.

She is in the best place and you got her there as soon as you could. Sending tons of vibes for her xx

The Vet just called and little Poppy didn't make it, he got her on fluids and pain relief but he said that her body had gone into shock and she passed away.
It all happened so quickly, I can't believe it and I can't believe that I missed it, how could I have done?
Thank you all for your kind words and good wishes.

Sleep tight Poppy x x

Oh my goodness... I'm so sorry. :( Poor Poppy, sounds like you did all you could for her though.
I've just given Russell an emergency check over... always thought that indoor bunnies weren't really at risk!! Just shows that you can never be complacent :shock:

Night night Poppy xx

I'm so sorry she didn't pull through, please don't blame yourself. I really didn't think house rabbits were at much risk at all of this, but I think this year has been a bad one for flies and other nasties.

*hug*

Oh how awful poor little Poppy, was she clean and dry all the time or did she have a health condition which caused a mucky bottom or anything? I dread this ever happening to one of mine, I am sorry for your loss:cry:

Poppy did sometimes get a 'mucky bottom', no real health issues and she didn't mind at all me cleaning her nether regions and scent glands. This was why I was always trying to take precautions againt flies, guess I missed something yesterday and that proved catastrophic for us. She was just over five and a half years old so still active but I must admit, like many of us, keeping her weight down was a bit of a struggle, particularly in the winter when she couldn't go out in the garden.
Just hope she's running free and happy now.

Back