• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent snuffles help please - will he be ok? Update

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
If a rabbit has snuffles should he be separated from his bunwife? (not my bun) Any other snuffle advice appreciated

Basically yes.
It is contagious and your barrier care should go both ways.xxxxx

ETA Battlekat is right as Mrs Bun has been in to visit Lily by accident and shes fine.Just didnt want to confuse the issue.

Last edited:
When we thought Eli had snuffles I did a lot of reading in to this and there was quite divided opinion.
Some are of the opinion that the bacteria is present in most buns and they are fine, it's just a weak immune system that allows it to take hold so it's safe to allow a snuffle bun and a non snuffle bun to stay together - there are people who have these pairings that do support this argument.
Others think that snuffles is highly contagious and a snuffle bun should only be housed with another snuffle bun.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

When we thought Eli had snuffles I did a lot of reading in to this and there was quite divided opinion.
Some are of the opinion that the bacteria is present in most buns and they are fine, it's just a weak immune system that allows it to take hold so it's safe to allow a snuffle bun and a non snuffle bun to stay together - there are people who have these pairings that do support this argument.
Others think that snuffles is highly contagious and a snuffle bun should only be housed with another snuffle bun.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

That's what I was going to say.
When Joey had snuffles he remained with BB, who didn't get snuffles.

I guess separation could stress him out more?

ETA: And can it still be life threatening if treated in the early stages?

Last edited:
I would keep them together too. I would never willingly separate a bonded pair unless there was a really compelling reason and personally I don't think this is. Generally speaking, I think it's either too late by the time the infection has shown itself, or the infection has shown itself for another reason (e.g. tooth root problems) so isn't inherently 'infectious'.

Dudley lived with Santa for 5 years and she always snuffled and he never so much as sneezed once :)

Thanks guys I've told her. She says he has a snotty nose and noisy breathing, will he be ok, has she caught it early enough?

I guess separation could stress him out more?

ETA: And can it still be life threatening if treated in the early stages?

It will depend on what the buns immune system is like.

Joey had one bout of snuffles - I literally heard him with heavy breathing early one morning, rechecked him an hour later and had him at the vets a few hours later.
Considering he'd only just presented with symptoms the vet was concerned that he could develop pneumonia and have scarred lungs - he was really poorly for several days before the drugs started to work.
Thankfully that was 3 years ago and he's been fine since.

Sorted out my technical difficulties! Its my bun Carlisle :cry: Thanks for posting Nicola and everyone else for the help. When I go to vets should I take Lilly as well? Also is there anything I should be doing? Keeping him warm etc.... :?

Sorted out my technical difficulties! Its my bun Carlisle :cry: Thanks for posting Nicola and everyone else for the help. When I go to vets should I take Lilly as well? Also is there anything I should be doing? Keeping him warm etc.... :?

Don't know if you got my text chick, I would take her as well just to be sure. Are her eyes weeping or anything like that?

I've just been out and checked them. Carlsle is a little worse crusty snots and loud breathing. Lilly seems t be completely fine nothing wrong wih her at all.

I've just been out and checked them. Carlsle is a little worse crusty snots and loud breathing. Lilly seems t be completely fine nothing wrong wih her at all.

I wonder if you need to bring them inside to keep them warm? I don't even know if they need to be kept warm with snuffles?

Do you have any vapour rub like Vicks? Rabbitlopedia says it will help, and to clear his eyes and nose of discharge x

Nope. I wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near him either! He is the hardest of all my buns to get hold of and get a look at. It was only because of his breathing that I knew something was wrong. I think i'll bring them in the house its been cold these last few nights better safe than sorry

Has it come on suddenly? Is there a lot of snot? Is his breathing at all laboured? It could be sudden onset pneumonia rather than "just" snuffles...and that can be fatal very, very quickly.

I would be inclined to at least speak with the emergency vets tonight to be honest, and describe exactly what is happening, as if it could be pneumonia rather than snuffles he will need medicine (e.g. antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic) tonight :?

I hope your little man is ok x

Nope. I wouldn't be able to get it anywhere near him either! He is the hardest of all my buns to get hold of and get a look at. It was only because of his breathing that I knew something was wrong. I think i'll bring them in the house its been cold these last few nights better safe than sorry

certainly can't see it doing any harm. Rabbitlopedia also says to syringe fluids, and to maintain a healthy diet of hay and green food, but you're doing the healthy diet anyway so it won't make a difference I guess

Back