• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Creosote Products

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I am building a decking area and need to put it on joists. I have been to B&Q and got some oil based stuff called Creocote to protect the joists. These joists will be under the decking and the bunnies wont be able to get to them.

I have been painting the joists today and they really smell. Does the smell of creosote type stuff disappear once dried? I am worried about the bunnies and the smell. Is it ok once dried to be near them? They cannot touch them.

Any creosote 'type' product is usually harmful to animals. It's generally only the water-based products which are animal-friendly and are always labelled as such.

But I have to say that I :love: the smell of good old-fashioned creosote! Takes me back to my childhood when Dad spent hours each summer re-doing the fences.

I use cresote to protect the beams holding up my porch canopy.
It usually stinks for a few days, then the smell wears off.

Back