• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

considering a new bunny...

charl86

Alpha Buck
I'd love to get a Bunny Friend for my Sooty at some point in the future however Sooty is a dental bunny and I dont know how I would cope if the new bunny I got had dental problems too (both financially and emotionally). I was just wondering if a possible solution would be if I got a rescue rabbit who was not a baby and showed no signs of dental issues (ie no previous history and loves her hay etc). I know there would be no guarantee problems would not arise but would this be a good idea to minimise the chances? Is there an age when dental issues have normally arisen by? I am being extreamly selfish in trying not to take on another dental bun? I feel like I am and so im a little worried about posting this, it's just I would love Sooty to have a friend and this is one of the main things holding me back.

i dont think its selfish at all! :)

You want to get a friend for Sooty, but don't want a bun who could get ill, especially if they are to be bonded etc.

Think it's a good question but im afraid i can't help, not an expert sorry.

Just wanted to re-assure you!:wave:

I'd love to get a Bunny Friend for my Sooty at some point in the future however Sooty is a dental bunny and I dont know how I would cope if the new bunny I got had dental problems too (both financially and emotionally). I was just wondering if a possible solution would be if I got a rescue rabbit who was not a baby and showed no signs of dental issues (ie no previous history and loves her hay etc). I know there would be no guarantee problems would not arise but would this be a good idea to minimise the chances? Is there an age when dental issues have normally arisen by? I am being extreamly selfish in trying not to take on another dental bun? I feel like I am and so im a little worried about posting this, it's just I would love Sooty to have a friend and this is one of the main things holding me back.

Hi there, pm Jill (Honeybunny) she has a HUGE waiting list of rescue buns and has all shapes, sizes, ages & personalities desperate for new homes. I'm sure she could help you :D

Hi thanks for the reassurance, I didnt know if the rescues would frown upon me saying I didn't want one just because its teeth arn't so good/doesnt eat much hay. But im really struggling with Sooty at the min and would not like to have to have the same worries with my next one.

Ill have to get Sooty's diet sorted first and then persuade my OH (he forks out for the petplan ect) but I doubt that will be too hard!:D
Does anybody know at what age dental issues would normally arisen by if it was due to say genetics rather than bad diet? or can they just suddenly become maloccluded at any point in their lives?
Any advice is appreciated

I'm in a similar position myself. Have just found out that all Bramble's problems are due to his teeth, and although he hasn't had to have a dental yet I am worried about getting another bunnie as a friend for him incase of similar problems, or just that it is going to get expensive with Bramble anyway.

I'd love him to have a friend for company as I can't be out with him all the time. Is Sooty a house bunny or an outside bun?

I'm in a similar position myself. Have just found out that all Bramble's problems are due to his teeth, and although he hasn't had to have a dental yet I am worried about getting another bunnie as a friend for him incase of similar problems, or just that it is going to get expensive with Bramble anyway.

I'd love him to have a friend for company as I can't be out with him all the time. Is Sooty a house bunny or an outside bun?

Sootys an house bun, he get plenty of attention when we're at home but as you say you cant be with them all the time, and so ideally I need to get him a friend.
Sootys dentals cost me about £80 every couple of months, he has GA and molars burred, is bramble's problem with his molars or incisors? I'd also stuggle with the constant monitoring and worriying about what they've eaten if I had to do it for both. I dont know how people do it but thay seem to manage.

Unfortunately dental problems can crop up at any age, even in an older rabbit who has never had any problems before.

Don't know if I'm just lucky but out of the 18 rabbits I have owned only one had dental problems,and I'd say, generally, that dental buns do not make up the majority.

Hi thanks for the reassurance, I didnt know if the rescues would frown upon me saying I didn't want one just because its teeth arn't so good/doesnt eat much hay. But im really struggling with Sooty at the min and would not like to have to have the same worries with my next one.

Ill have to get Sooty's diet sorted first and then persuade my OH (he forks out for the petplan ect) but I doubt that will be too hard!:D
Does anybody know at what age dental issues would normally arisen by if it was due to say genetics rather than bad diet? or can they just suddenly become maloccluded at any point in their lives?
Any advice is appreciated

Hi - Jill won't frown on you at all :D There's no point over stretching yourself or setting yourself up for a stressful environment - that won't help either bun :) Give Jill a call, she has SOOOOO many lovely buns to choose from at the moment and she can give you lots of advice on the best thing to do, she's very experienced :D

Back