• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please update

Hi i am not sure if this is the right place to post this but i am worried about 1 of my rabbits. We have had her about 4 weeks we got off freecyle in the first week of having her she gave birth to 1 dead baby. since then every time i go to stroke her she does a squeaky grunt and headbutts my hand away. she has not been eatting much of her food anymore or her hay she ate a piece of apple out of my hand yesterday but when i gave her carrot she throw it across her hutch. could there be a reason for this she is other wise bright and alert.

Last edited:
She sounds hormonal and territorial, has she had a vet check up since youve had her and since giving birth to the dead baby?? I would recommend you take her to the vets and then see about her getting spayed - this will sort out all the hormonal behaviour..

Poor girl sounds like shes been through so much already :cry:

I'm not expert but it sounds like she is probably hormonal. Probably best to get her to a vets for a checkup and discuss an appropriate time to get her spayed.

She sounds hormonal and territorial, has she had a vet check up since youve had her and since giving birth to the dead baby?? I would recommend you take her to the vets and then see about her getting spayed - this will sort out all the hormonal behaviour..

Great minds and all that. ;)

Hey,

Have you taken your bun to the vet after she gave birth to the baby?
If not, I think its best to take her asap. The vet can check to see if her teeth/stomach etc are healthy.

Has she been going to the toilet ok?

I took her to the vets the day after she gave birth to get her checked over as i thought it was strange for a rabbit to have just 1 baby but the vet said she was fine and nothing wrong but it has been the last week that she has been more up tight and even looks grumpy which she has being nick named at the moment her name is snowy as she is white. She is going to the tolet fine and is cleaning herself.

you would do well to finda rbabit savvy vet in your area for any future things you may need she will need neutering adn vaccinations, rabbits are actually classed as exotics in the vetinary world and very few vets are a sknowledgable as they should be on them, i would suggest she is hormonal but it could also be that she has an infection or other issue, if you give us your location we can suggest a rabbit savvy vet who can look her over and tell you for certain, also rabbits i believe can have another litter growing whci hcoulda t the time be too small to tell therefore she may well already have been pregnant again, but unable to feel the babies at that stage, getting ehr spayed will prevent uterine cancer and also will sort her hormones and allow her to be bonded to another bunny as they really do need company xx

One of the rabbits I took in lost her litter, and became like this afterwards. She also started having "phantom pregnancies" with making nests, growling/aggressive behaviour and generally looked quite depressed. When she was well enough she was spayed and improved very quickly.

Hopefully once you get your girl spayed the troubles will stop. I always find females to be very temperamental when not spayed, little madams :roll:

you would do well to finda rbabit savvy vet in your area for any future things you may need she will need neutering adn vaccinations, rabbits are actually classed as exotics in the vetinary world and very few vets are a sknowledgable as they should be on them, i would suggest she is hormonal but it could also be that she has an infection or other issue, if you give us your location we can suggest a rabbit savvy vet who can look her over and tell you for certain, also rabbits i believe can have another litter growing whci hcoulda t the time be too small to tell therefore she may well already have been pregnant again, but unable to feel the babies at that stage, getting ehr spayed will prevent uterine cancer and also will sort her hormones and allow her to be bonded to another bunny as they really do need company xx

The white rabbit in your picture looks just like my snowy i live in Hertfordshire

Do you know anything about the rabbit? how old? whether shes had vaccs etc etc??

What is she living in? has she got a lot of space to exercise? alot of things can contribute to a grumpy rabbits - illness, hormones, boredom ... its really good you are trying to do something about it. She may well have had a horrible life up until now and may be very wary of people - unfortunately a lot of rabbits are not treated well and are often just stuck at the bottom of the garden in a 4ft hutch (or smaller) with no human interaction... I would be grumpy too if that was me!

If she is about 4-6 months old she will definetly be getting hormonal - my girl was a terror - would box, scratch and wouldnt let me in the kitchen :shock: (where she lived) as soon as she was spayed - she is now the sweetest thing..

Rabbits like to live in pairs too so once you have sorted out these issues you could maybe look in to getting her a neutered husbun :love:

As I say well done for trying to get her sorted and keep us updated :D

snowy has got worse she growled and reared her front legs up at me today i was only getting hr food bowl out and given her a stroke. i am having trouble to get her out of her hutch as i want to take her to the vets for a nother check. what should i do.

snowy has got worse she growled and reared her front legs up at me today i was only getting hr food bowl out and given her a stroke. i am having trouble to get her out of her hutch as i want to take her to the vets for a nother check. what should i do.

I can't add much to Kaths101 post in terms of advice, she is hormonal and needs to be neutered, you have to go to her level and just put your hand on the floor and let her sniff it, your best bet with a territorial bunny is to let her out into a playpen and sit with her, you will find it hard otherwise, she has most likely been ill-treated and learned how to defend herself, she is doing it out of fear most likely, testing your reaction, lots and lots of patience, speak quietly and ideally you would put your head to her but down so she see's it as non-threatening. Poor girl, it took me at least a month to build a bond with my doe when I adopted her, everyday we made a bit more progress, now she is a completely soppy thing with me, not so much with others which does confirm that this is a trust issue I believe.

I work in Hitchin and don't mind helping you get her to the vets if you need a hand. I have a fair amount of experience of handling hormonal rabbits :wave:. It would need to fit around work obviously but give me a PM if you would like my help.

It miht be a good idea in the next appointment to book a spay as she really isn't going to improve much with out it.

Hi all thanks for all the advice she stays in a 4ft hutch at night but is out in a run during the day. she will be having a run built on to her hutch so she can be in and out day and night. I fox prof everything i double the wire which is 1inch by 1/2inch aviary wire. and 36mm by 36mm wood to make it sturdy. she has a couple of tolet roll insert to play with in the hutch or she just throws her food bowl around.

Hi all thanks for all the advice she stays in a 4ft hutch at night but is out in a run during the day. she will be having a run built on to her hutch so she can be in and out day and night. I fox prof everything i double the wire which is 1inch by 1/2inch aviary wire. and 36mm by 36mm wood to make it sturdy. she has a couple of tolet roll insert to play with in the hutch or she just throws her food bowl around.

if you dont mind me asking how old are you?
do you have room to make her hutch bigger to extend her living space? Im guessing she may also be very bored... how big is her run? does she ever have a good run about? binky?
the RSPCA recommended minimum for hutch size is 6ft x 2 x 2 with 6 x 4 run.

Its great you are fox proofing everything!!
Are you considering getting her spayed then?

if you dont mind me asking how old are you?
do you have room to make her hutch bigger to extend her living space? Im guessing she may also be very bored... how big is her run? does she ever have a good run about? binky?
the RSPCA recommended minimum for hutch size is 6ft x 2 x 2 with 6 x 4 run.

Its great you are fox proofing everything!!
Are you considering getting her spayed then?

I am 33years old if you much know i have 5 children 3 dogs 5 rabbits and 9 guineas all the animals are rescued either from pet store, adoption, or freecycle i have a huge back garden and all my hutches have a run attached.

Oh i also have an aviary which we built to house 11 budgies and 11 cockatiels which are also rescued. I am not a complet beginner with rabbit just need refresh in info as i was very small when my dad used to breed rabbits.

I work in Hitchin and don't mind helping you get her to the vets if you need a hand. I have a fair amount of experience of handling hormonal rabbits :wave:. It would need to fit around work obviously but give me a PM if you would like my help.

It miht be a good idea in the next appointment to book a spay as she really isn't going to improve much with out it.

Hi DustyRabbit, M_Truett99 & Rhian.....:wave:Im in Hertfordshire too - in Ware Town.
I use Roebuck Surgery which is Stevenage way - I mission 45 mins. to get there...The vet I see is Melany Mansfield....I was recomended her by a Rabbit rescue centre...
I was pleased with her knowledge when I took the buns for theri vacs...have yet to get them spayed....maybe you can take your bun there?

xx;)

I am 33years old if you much know i have 5 children 3 dogs 5 rabbits and 9 guineas all the animals are rescued either from pet store, adoption, or freecycle i have a huge back garden and all my hutches have a run attached.

Oh i also have an aviary which we built to house 11 budgies and 11 cockatiels which are also rescued. I am not a complet beginner with rabbit just need refresh in info as i was very small when my dad used to breed rabbits.

Ok I was only asking as its sometimes hard to know whether your are talking to a child or an adult over a computer - sometimes when a child posts asking for advice you have to watch what you write as I would hate to upset them - though it sounds like I have upset you as well - not intended - I was only trying to help!! :wave:

Back