• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peter eating and drinking but not toileting... :(

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Peter Rabbit had his dental yesterday morning. He came home last night. He didn't really eat any food on Sunday and then didn't start eating food again until last night (Monday).He has got some recovery food which he isnt too fussed on but eats a bit because I am syringe feeding him.

However, he is eating soft treats, greens and drinking water.

He IS NOT pooping or weeing. I rang the emergency vet lasy night and then took him to the vets this morning. They said to continue to use zotac (for gas) and painkillers (syrup) and encourage him to eat more recovery food. He had a full check over and they said his bladder hasnt got much urine in it.

Vet said to wait until tomorrow because food needs time to get through intestines etc. How long should I wait?

I have been told to go back tomorrow if there is still no poop or wee. I am worried - I stayed up with Peter ALL night.

I'm no expert in this area, but would it be worth trying some dandelions if he is easting greens as they have a diuretic effect and may help him get going with both pooing and weeing?

I'd agree with NLENG2000 - dandelions are a buns best friend when tummy troubles occur - but im not an expert at any point! Just know from experience, that if Biscuit doesn't poop for a while, if i give him a handful of dandelions, within an hour or so he'd be pooping for britain!

Maybe im just paranoid about his pooping habbits though :lol:

Edit: PS Keep us informed on how he's getting on and what the vets say!

Peter has had one wee!!!! :D

He has pooped about 3 of the tiniest, darkest poops I have ever seen.

I have given him some dandelions, so lets hope that does something.

Yay! That's what we want. :)
Those poos are what me and my sister call operation poos. I assume it's to do with the anesthetic but they usually go back to normal within a few days.

agreed, biscuit's poops were small and dark after his neuter, picked up fine after a couple of days.:wave:

That's good news! Another tip I was given was to syringe feed some pineapple juice (real juice not the concentrate variety) as this is supposed to help their tummies get moving. Hopefully the dandelions will do the trick tho!

Peter has not had a wee or poop since my post earlier. I swear that he usually poops and wees more than this!

He is led in his litter tray and has been there for about two hours. Prior to his op he only ever went into his litter tray to go to toilet.

Any other suggestions for making him poop?

Thanks.

Might be worth getting him to move around a bit. If he can free range in the garden it would be worth trying that as he might start grazing and running around both of which might help him get things moving in his tummy. Also try him with all his favourite foods - strawberry worked wonders for my Alfie when he was in stasis.

Might be worth getting him to move around a bit. If he can free range in the garden it would be worth trying that as he might start grazing and running around both of which might help him get things moving in his tummy. Also try him with all his favourite foods - strawberry worked wonders for my Alfie when he was in stasis.

And maybe banana? Seems lots of buns go NUTS for Banana. Silly things:love:

That's good news! Another tip I was given was to syringe feed some pineapple juice (real juice not the concentrate variety) as this is supposed to help their tummies get moving. Hopefully the dandelions will do the trick tho!

Yes!! Pineaplle juice helps stimulate the gut...i give mine 10ml of it once every 2 weeks....but i just put it in their bowl

I have been down town and looked in all the shops and I can only find pineapple juice made from concentrate. Is this ok? Should I water it down?

Thanks

I have been down town and looked in all the shops and I can only find pineapple juice made from concentrate. Is this ok? Should I water it down?

Thanks

I'm not really sure, I was just told not to use the concentrate so maybe it's lost its goodness through the process. How about buying a real pineapple and putting it in a blender to get the juice out?

Thanks.

I bought a pineapple and blended it. Fed Peter the juice through a syringe. He is not interested in eating it.

He has been in the garden this afternoon and is now free range in my bedroom. However, he seems to be led more than he is running around!

Thanks.

I bought a pineapple and blended it. Fed Peter the juice through a syringe. He is not interested in eating it.

He has been in the garden this afternoon and is now free range in my bedroom. However, he seems to be led more than he is running around!

It took Alfie a good few hours of feeding pineapple juice and strawberries before he started perking up. We did the tummy massage thing (through the night!!) and whilst I don't know whether it helped or not it made me feel like there was something I can do. If he isn't better in the morning I would take him back to the vets as he may need some sub-Q fluids to keep his hydration up and some medication to try and get things moving (Alfie had all this too!!) I will keep my fingers crossed for some poo's!! Let me know how things go x

He had 4 tiny little poops during the night. Took him to the vets this morning and they checked him over.

She didn't seem worried that he hasn't pooped much - she said its good that he is pooping because it shows he is not blocked.

The vet said to continue with the pineapple and medicine. She also said I could but some apple and banana baby food for him. I did and he doesnt like it!!

Fingers crossed for more poops.

He had 4 tiny little poops during the night. Took him to the vets this morning and they checked him over.

She didn't seem worried that he hasn't pooped much - she said its good that he is pooping because it shows he is not blocked.

The vet said to continue with the pineapple and medicine. She also said I could but some apple and banana baby food for him. I did and he doesnt like it!!

Fingers crossed for more poops.

Well some Poos are better than none. At least the vet has put your mind to rest if nothing else. I'll keep the eating and lots of poos vibe going!!

It sounds like his tummy is taking a while to recover. As long as your vet is happy there are no other problems then the best way to help him is to get plenty of fibre and fluids into him. Rabbit guts are designed to work on high fibre foods and the roughage stimulates gut contractions. Tempt him with hay, grass and continue the syringe feeding if he is not eating well by himself. Syringe foods often have high water content but flavouring his water will also encourage him to take in a bit more fluid as he may well be dehydrated which places additional stress on his intestines.
Intensive support with frequent meals and fluids is essential in any rabbit that hasn't eaten for more than 24hrs and if he is not responding at home then perhaps you could discuss hospitalisation for the vets to continue his feeding at regular intervals and also to give fluid via injections.
Try to encourage him to move round as this also stimulates intestinal movements (but be gentle as slow guts can be uncomfortable).

Back