• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holland Lop or Mini Lop?

Josephine_TEA

Young Bun
Hi, I know many of the people on the forum are rabbit professionals, I want to know if you guys can tell if my bunny, Circle, is a Holland Lop or Mini Lop or other breeds. Since I got him from a pet store approximately 4 months ago, they aren't certain of his breed and told me he is a Holland Lop. However, my friends later told us that he is a Mini Lop. I've done some online searching and realized that we can tell what kind of breed he is with his fully grown size. However, Circle is only about 4 months old and I know bunny is usually considered fully grown when they are as old as 1 years old. I am wondering if there is any other way I can tell what breed Circle is? And other than the size of the bunny how can we distinguish between Holland Lop and Mini Lop?

Some pictures of my Circle:
39127_10150229955395206_684060205_13710878_1677950_n.jpg
31070_101193196594992_100001129357183_7640_5445341_n.jpg
40617_10150236837125206_684060205_13934718_5716615_n.jpg
39023_10150236836345206_684060205_13934703_597357_n.jpg

Thanksss:love:

Last edited:
i thought a Holland lop was the same as a Mini lop, it is what they call Mini lops in the US :?

Very cute :)

It's all very confusing, but what Hugo's There said is the same as what i thought - holland lops are what the american's call Mini Lops.

Just to add to the confusion though, you can get Mini Lops and Holland Lops in the UK apparently according to different websites.

This is the site i tend to use to determine the difference though however, incase it helps;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rabbit_breeds#Lop_Bunnies

Gray

I know in some country, Holland Lop is the same as Mini Lop. But according to what I found online, Holland Lop is actually not Mini Lop, they have similar appearances though, so it's really hard to tell. Someone says the only way you can tell is by their size. Some say if you look closely at their ears and noses and face shape, you can tell between the two breeds.:?::?:

It's all very confusing, but what Hugo's There said is the same as what i thought - holland lops are what the american's call Mini Lops.

Just to add to the confusion though, you can get Mini Lops and Holland Lops in the UK apparently according to different websites.

This is the site i tend to use to determine the difference though however, incase it helps;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rabbit_breeds#Lop_Bunnies

Gray

Gray, I actually already read that link, but I still don't know how to tell them apart. :?

All I know is he definately hasn't got a Dwarf Lop face! :lol:

Looks like a mini lop face to me, gorgeous!

In the US they have the Holland and the Mini Lop. The Holland Lop is the most similar to our mini. The US mini is bigger. I don't know much about American breeds though, sorry. When you're rabbit is fully grown you can weigh them and find out for definate :)

This is a tricky one, I have a female mini lop and she does look very similar to your bun. Your bun has much longer ears so could possibly be a Holland lop but the bodyshape is very similar to my bun. Its so hard!

Wikipedia is pretty confusing because it says German lops and mini lops are the same.
I'm confused too... I have one such bun and I can't say what he is. Show Holland lops, however, have a bulkier head, like in this picture: http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/holl-lop.jpg.
I have to say I'm not a fan of exaggerated characteristics in show rabbits, such as Nethies with a very flat face or this kind of head, so bulky it looks swollen.
You have a beautiful rabbit by the way.

In the US they have the Holland and the Mini Lop. The Holland Lop is the most similar to our mini. The US mini is bigger. I don't know much about American breeds though, sorry. When you're rabbit is fully grown you can weigh them and find out for definate :)

I am trying to figure out what breed is my Circle before he is gully grown:lol:
Thanks tho:D

This is a tricky one, I have a female mini lop and she does look very similar to your bun. Your bun has much longer ears so could possibly be a Holland lop but the bodyshape is very similar to my bun. Its so hard!

I heard that Mini Lop has longer ears, but I am not sure if that is true.:roll:

:love::love::love::love: adorable
ok holland lops are mini lops but they are hollands are us breed and slightly bigger than our mini lops
thats the only difference and they are adult size by 6 mths
ann x

Wikipedia is pretty confusing because it says German lops and mini lops are the same.
I'm confused too... I have one such bun and I can't say what he is. Show Holland lops, however, have a bulkier head, like in this picture: http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/holl-lop.jpg.
I have to say I'm not a fan of exaggerated characteristics in show rabbits, such as Nethies with a very flat face or this kind of head, so bulky it looks swollen.
You have a beautiful rabbit by the way.

I know. I search online and some says Holland Lop is the same as Mini Lop, some says they are not. Its soooo hard to tell between the two.
I have another bun that is a Holland Lop. I always look at them and compare the difference between them, the only thing I can tell is my other bunny's ears are always up. But since I bought him from a breeder, so I guess he is a Holland Lop that dont know how to drop his ears down:lol:

Back