• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescued today

cam

New Kit
Hi
We have today rescued a rabbit s/he was abandoned after a family was evicted from their home we know s/he has not eaten or had water since Friday but today brought s/he home and have bought hay and food and pellets given water and cleaned out cage which was pretty empty anyway. Its nails are about 1 inch long and tangled so I am going to take to vet tomorrow as dont wat to chance doing it myself also going to get vaccinations done. Does anyone know the breed from these pictures?

P1010430.jpg

P1010431.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010433.jpg

Well done you :)
Hope all goes well with the vet check & vax.
I'd guess at a Nethie X breed wise.

Hope its not to late but in case your vet doesn't automatically do it - ask him/her to check her/his teeth too.

Thats one sweet little bunny.

Good job.

It looks like a netherland dwarf, maybe not a pure breed because it looks a little bigger than a pure breed nethie. But it is gorgeous, good job and glad it has someone nice to look after it :)

Vet

Hi
Now officially a HE (Miffy) has been to the vet tonight and had nails all cut so hopefully he is much more comfy. Vet said to be careful as he had not eaten etc for a few days so to make sure he goes poo I didnt think he had so she said take him back tomorrow if not but checked once we got back and he has so thats ok for the moment. I need to take him to get fully checked out are there any signs I should be looking for in the meantime?

I would say just look for the vitals initially - eating, drinking, pooing. Make sure he has lots of hay and go easy on veg to start with in case it upsets his tummy, it's likely he's never had much if any :(

Exercise will help his digestive system and make him feel happy so if you're able to give him a bit of free time in the house or garden (assuming it's safe) that would be great :D

Is he easy to handle?

Very well done for looking after him. He looks lovely :love:

Miffy

Yes he is easy to handle apparently the people who abandoned him at their house after eviction use to handle then got a couple of dogs and he was forgotten about. He is eating, drinking and pooping so all ok there. We have let him out in the garden at the moment he will only come about a foot out of the cage before running back in seem very scared but he does come over to us and gets excited when we go out to his hutch but this is always later on in the day once it is dark?

Yes he is easy to handle apparently the people who abandoned him at their house after eviction use to handle then got a couple of dogs and he was forgotten about. He is eating, drinking and pooping so all ok there. We have let him out in the garden at the moment he will only come about a foot out of the cage before running back in seem very scared but he does come over to us and gets excited when we go out to his hutch but this is always later on in the day once it is dark?

rabbits are always more active at dawn and dusk :)

He may take a while to settle especially if he's not used to having much space or time out of his hutch. It may be a little overwhelming for him right now but give him time. He may feel more comfortable in a smaller penned off area to start with but see how he goes.

It's good that he comes to you, he trusts you :D Give him plenty of tlc, things to play with and lots of yummy hay and he'll do just fine :love:

Do you think you'll keep him?

He's gorgeous!!! I am so glad you have him safe - you sound like you really have his best interests at heart which is lovely considered you've only just taken him on unexpectedly as well. Its terrible how some animals are treated, but I am just glad he is well looked after now and hopefully we hear many more updates from you to say he is coming out of his shell and doing well!! ;)

Update

Hi
Just an update on how Miffy is doing still eating and drinking, pooing fine. Cleaning him out every other day he has started to venture out of his cage a bit more now and lets us stroke him and pick him up. Tonight the mischeif has come out have constantly got to watch what he is up to lol like a naughty child. We build him a huge run so he can be in the garden. I wasnt to sure about keeping him I had always wanted a rabbit but already having a dog and 3 cockatiels to take up the time I could not relaly afford it, however after this week there is no way he is going anywhere he's part of the family now he doesnt cost much and is having a much better life now so I have no reason to move or disturb him anymore he is adorable and im so glad we found him.

just one more thing

we have been feeding miffy a mixture of pellets and normal rabbit mix each morning and evening and lots of hay. the vet said the mix is not a good idea and is not very good for him so since then i have tried more pellets less mix but he picks out the bits he likes and leaves the pellets, still eating they hay. whats the best diet at the moment after what he has been thru i figured any food is better than none? can anyone advise?

we have been feeding miffy a mixture of pellets and normal rabbit mix each morning and evening and lots of hay. the vet said the mix is not a good idea and is not very good for him so since then i have tried more pellets less mix but he picks out the bits he likes and leaves the pellets, still eating they hay. whats the best diet at the moment after what he has been thru i figured any food is better than none? can anyone advise?

He is gorgeous :D

I would reduce the amount of mix over the next week or so, adding more pellets instead until he is only having the pellets.

Are you giving any vegetable/herbs at the moment? If not, try him with a small amount of say Parsley first and see how he goes. If his tummy is fine with this, add another item and so on.

Keep up the constant supply of hay too :D

Hi
Just an update on how Miffy is doing still eating and drinking, pooing fine. Cleaning him out every other day he has started to venture out of his cage a bit more now and lets us stroke him and pick him up. Tonight the mischeif has come out have constantly got to watch what he is up to lol like a naughty child. We build him a huge run so he can be in the garden. I wasnt to sure about keeping him I had always wanted a rabbit but already having a dog and 3 cockatiels to take up the time I could not relaly afford it, however after this week there is no way he is going anywhere he's part of the family now he doesnt cost much and is having a much better life now so I have no reason to move or disturb him anymore he is adorable and im so glad we found him.

What a great story.Well done for giving him a better life and loving home.He will give you so much pleasure when you spend a lot of time with him.It breaks my heart thinking about all the rabbits that are neglected,but cheers me up when i read about lovely people like you.Remember we are all your friends here and can help with any advice you need.:wave::love:

Back