• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

.U/D Seeing new vet tomorrow./ Cookie's results is E.C

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi all. No improvements with Cookie at all :cry: I know we only started him on his meds Saturday afternoon but I was hoping for a little improvement.
He's on Pancuar, Baytril and Metacam and now the headtilt is very very bad, he's struggling to stand :cry:
I'm going to ask today to put him on something else.

Last edited:
Just replied to your PM Karen.

Dont despair, it is VERY early days for Cookie. It may be a couple of weeks before any signs of improvement occur

Good luck at the vets. It took Wesley weeks to recover from his headtilt he seemed to get worse before he got better.

Good luck at the vets. It took Wesley weeks to recover from his headtilt he seemed to get worse before he got better.

Just been the vets for a chat with the vet and not a good one :(
She won't change his antibiotcs as Baytril is the strongest one and if she was giving it to a human it would be for someone on their way out :?

She said Cookie may never get better and he may end up being put to sleep :cry: I said to her but it's early days he only started his treatment on Saturday :evil: I've got to change my vet she wasn't positive at all.
I didn't take Cookie with me as I only need to talk about his meds.

Good luck finding a new vet. The bloke I put you in touch with will often liaise with vets and he might be helpful.

Two days on effective meds can make a difference but Baytril is not an effective med for this.

I'm sorry Cookie is not showing improvement. I hope there something soon.

I am not sure where abouts in North Wales you are, but Jaypot used to live in North wales so may be able to suggest a good vet for you :)

I really hope you find a vet to help you and cookie xx

I did not see original post but I guess everyone else had discussed other meds for EC with you?

I fear another vet is the only way to go on this one.

I actually changed my vet when my Kermit developed EC / Head Tilt.

I know that it seems like all is lost, but if Cookie is still eating, drinking, pooing & peeing, then he has fight in him and is trying to overcome this.

My Kermit couldnt stand up unaided for a couple of weeks, everytime he sis he just rolled and rolled.

But persistance and a lot of hard work brought him round.

I am so sorry your vet visit hasn't gone well :( I can completely empathise - we had one vet at our vets tell us we were being cruel keeping Wilson going :evil: If I'd have listened to her, Wilson would have been pts there & then :(

However, I knew that because he was eating, drinking, pooing & washing - albeit with a very wonky head & having rolling episodes - that he didn't want to go anywhere.

I would recommend looking for a new vet that is much more receptive to trying something stronger. If ever we have another bun with headtilt in the future - I intend to insist they go straight onto Zithromax, alongside stemetil & metacam or steroids - I am convinced it saved Wilson's life.

Lots & lots more vibes for Cookie & you finding someone who is willing to help & listen to you xx

Hi, so sorry to hear your vets being pessimistic :( it really is incredibly early days with cookie. My mimi had a very bad head tilt due to an inner ear infection, she literally rolled continuously for about 3 weeks before showing signs of improvement but now shes completely better other than a slught residual tilt and decreasing eyesight.
The antibiotic she was on was marbocyl, which did the trick wonderfully. I really dont think that baytril is strong enough for a severe head tilt.
I hope you can find a vet who will fight for cookie with you. It can be a very long and extremely hard process but its definatly not time to give up yet.
Oh btw my vet also put mimi on meclozine, which is a human anti vertigo drug to help with the dizzyness, so that might be something to discuss with your new vet aswell.
Sending looooads of vibes for cookie xxxxxxx

In times of need we really see how "good" our vets are :roll:

Sending more get well vibes for Cookie and hope you find a vet who is open to further treatment x

I'm going to phone a vets in Chester tomorrow. Do you think the vet would let ask me a few questions before i take him up ? I really need to ask him does he think Baytril is a strong enough anitbiotic.
If he say's yes then it's not worth me travelling up there. Do you think this would be okay ?

That must have been very sad and frustrating for you, definately try to find another more sympathetic vet.

Hoping that you see some improvement very soon xxx

I'm going to phone a vets in Chester tomorrow. Do you think the vet would let ask me a few questions before i take him up ? I really need to ask him does he think Baytril is a strong enough anitbiotic.
If he say's yes then it's not worth me travelling up there. Do you think this would be okay ?

It is unlikely that he would give a definitive answer without examining Cookie.

Back