• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth issues

silverrabbit

Mama Doe
Hello :)

One of my rescues was in his previous :censored: home for around 7 years. I went to pick him up and had visited him previous and on all occasions he had NO access to hay and no cereal and the water bottle was empty. He was so underweight that his head looked too big for his body :cry: and had blocked tear ducts that because they were left unflushed, had scarred over and now cannot be fixed even after he had an op to try and reopen them.

Anyway, that's just a bit of history. They eyes are actually looking good now he's dry and protected from the elements. I was expecting teeth issues as I normally do from rescue rabbits, and he has regular back teeth filing/clipping though cannot have anaesthetic after he almost didn't make it through a previous dental now

What I wanted to ask was if anyone had experience of the little toothy things behind the front 2 top teeth overgrowing? Barney has them growing out to the side, curling, and although the vet trims these they regrow very quickly no matter how much hay he eats. What can I do to help him? I see it sometimes makes him uncomfortable as he plays with his mouth with his front paws, like trying to get something unstuck. This is even after he has a dental. He eats fine and loves his hay, but I don't want him to be uncomfortable :(

Has this fella had an xray to see whats going on???:wave::wave:
I think it may be a possibility his incisors need to be removed.
The back teeth dentals without an anaesthetic isnt a good idea but since he cant have a GA I have absolutely no idea what else you can do for tis poor chap.Not had it good has he???:shock::(
I hope something can be done.Maybe others on here have a better idea.

I know poor little man, I dunno what i'm going to be able to do with him because of his intolerance to GA :? and he's so close to his girlfriend I think she'd pine to death if I lost him.

Once they've had a bad experience under GA, it's downhill from there isn't it? Like, the next time will be the same or worse? :( i'm lucky he's such a good boy really and lets them do what they have to do, but I have no idea how he can be made better if he can't be put under to be fixed

X ray last year for tear ducts/teeth as they were suspecting the tear ducts were from roots? But apparently all was surprisingly good considering the state he was in.

Back