• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio bonding advice

Daesy

Warren Scout
Hi!

so me and the new bun are off to the vets this evening for a once over, once we are sure of the sex we can decide on a name, woohoo!

It seems ok, when it's outside it has a little run around, it likes strokes and is curious with our cats and other rabbits. It has a bit of a dirty bottom, I assume its because it is too fat to clean itself properly, it wasnt too happy about me trying to clean it either! Its eaten lots of hay, but no pellets or veg. Some of its poos have been a bit wet, but its done some nice solid ones too.

Piggy and Moomoo had a bit of a sniff while new bun was in the run and they were roaming free. Piggy (boy) wasnt bothered at all, Moomoo (girl) was having a good old sniff, then a bit of a growl, and then going back to sniff some more and growl some more. She had a bit of a growl at piggy and also our cat too! She seemed to be telling everyone that she didnt want them to make a new friend! She was fine with me and wanted some reassuring nose strokes, and she was fine with everyone once new bun was moved back inside.

I'd like a bit of advice on how to bond the new bun with my pair, once its had the all clear from the vet. I'm interested in your experiences please.

I have time to take it relatively slowly, however the quicker they are bonded, the quicker it can begin to get lots of excercise, rather than just an hour or so a day

Thanks!

Are you intending on neutering the newbie before bonding etc, it's going to be tricky with two does and one buck - you are going to have to be very very careful in terms of completely neutral territory and neutral bonding area, not trying to put you off and hopefully some who have done this type of trio will also advise but, having just tried 2 bucks and one doe together I wouldn't risk it personally however, my doe is very much a doe and wouldn't tolerate another i don't think. Hope you get some advice, sorry if mine isn't all that helpful. Hope you enjoy the forum, pics of your set up might be good aswell, what are you planning if the trio works out?:wave:

oh yeah, I will be getting him/her neutered asap if not already done. I have a 9' x 4' hutch/run coming this week, I ordered it for the pair, but its plenty big enough for 3. Some pics below (not my rabs in the pics, they are website pictures!)

Picture35.png

Picture34.png

Picture32.png

Picture31.png

I wont move anyone into the new hutch until they are (hopefully) bonded.

Moomoo and Piggy popped into the house today while the door was open, Moomoo had another good sniff at newby, and no growling. I have to be positive and assume the bonding will work as hubby has said no to keeping it if it doesnt bond :cry: Obviously I will try my hardest to keep it whatever happens, could just do with not having to fight my husband to do so! In any case it will be with me until it healthy, and I'm sure hubby will fall for it in no time, its a lovely bun :love:

Thanks for the warning, I realise it might not be easy but I could really do with some advice - should I let the existing buns into the house and sniff away until they are used to it?

:wave: Hi!! Thanks for pointing this site out to me, its very interesting! I've found some great links for rabbit relatedness

Did you see the pics of the new bun in my other thread? We are just off to the vet now. I'll update in a bit

You'll soon be talking about the wonders of rabbit poo and how hay gets everywhere. :lol:

Just off to look at your thread.

oh yeah, I will be getting him/her neutered asap if not already done. I have a 9' x 4' hutch/run coming this week, I ordered it for the pair, but its plenty big enough for 3. Some pics below (not my rabs in the pics, they are website pictures!)

Picture35.png

Picture34.png

Picture32.png

Picture31.png

I wont move anyone into the new hutch until they are (hopefully) bonded.

Moomoo and Piggy popped into the house today while the door was open, Moomoo had another good sniff at newby, and no growling. I have to be positive and assume the bonding will work as hubby has said no to keeping it if it doesnt bond :cry: Obviously I will try my hardest to keep it whatever happens, could just do with not having to fight my husband to do so! In any case it will be with me until it healthy, and I'm sure hubby will fall for it in no time, its a lovely bun :love:

Thanks for the warning, I realise it might not be easy but I could really do with some advice - should I let the existing buns into the house and sniff away until they are used to it?

oooh thats an interesting hutch I haven't seen one like that, it's nice. Seems quite well made aswell, yes back to the bonding, I suppose you have the fact the newbie is young in your favour, maybe the new doe will come round if she gets used to her, you could always try swapping toys / litter trays aswell as letting her see the other two from a safe distance behind bars till she is all neutered and settled down. I am sure it can be done, not sure who on here has a 2 does and a buck though:? Anyway the principal is the same as any bonding really i think but, maybe just be aware doe's can be a tad more territorial so it is vital that they are bonded on neutral turf and then moved into neutral accomodation. Hope some others give you some advice too, although Shuette will be able to help;):wave: Edited to add just read your other thread, didn't realise she was 3 - mmmm not sure I would be brave enough but, i am sure it can be done.

Last edited:
Hiya :wave:

Id set aside a good few days to start bonding them, id use a small neutral space to start with (you will feel cruel but trust me its a must!!) it most probably will not be easy so be prepared for sleepless nights and abit of stress!! There are quite a few bonding threads on here to look through. Car rides are great for bonding, you need to makesure you have a handy water spray or broom to seperate any potential fights, they will have to sort out a pecking order but you dont want a full on fight. Will go find my bonding thread to give you some idea of what you're in for! Ive bonded two groups of four, one was two sets of pairs but unfortunatelt lost one of my does last year and then bonded in a buck to my trio so i have 3 bucks and one doe now. :wave:

:oops:

I'm not that experienced really! I have my two bucks and two does all together but that took about three attempts!

I'm just about to bump my rebonding thread with a handful of photos so you're welcome to have a look at that.

i have a bonded trio of 2 girls and a boy.
it was easy really.....i first bonded my girls and then a few weeks later i got gizzy and bonded him with them. it was harder to introduce gizzy than it was to bond the girls.
even tho mine bonded easily, i know not all bonds do, but it will at least give you hope. :D

Thanks guys, I'll have a read through of everything in a bit. Vet said she looked healthy, couldnt feel any sign of pregnancy, wasnt massively concerned about her weight but obviously noted that she was overweight, and said to keep her on hay and grass for now. He thought she was probably only around 2, although hard to tell.

Not sure what to do about the neautering, he said the only way to tell if it has already been done is to open her up, as quite often scars wont be visible. Poor bunny might have to go through all of that for nothing. He did say it might help with the bond, but that I would most likely be able to tell once they are all together, as she would probably have her frisky times.

The link for the hutch is http://www.framebow.co.uk/index.php quite expensive, but so attractive. It hasnt arrived yet, and their communication hasnt been great, so we will see when friday comes as that is when it is due to arrive. I havent paid yet so I'm not worried that they are going to stitch me up or anything, I think they are just really laid back! Anyway, if you were thinking of ordering maybe wait till mine is delivered, I'll give a full update!

Thanks guys, I'll have a read through of everything in a bit. Vet said she looked healthy, couldnt feel any sign of pregnancy, wasnt massively concerned about her weight but obviously noted that she was overweight, and said to keep her on hay and grass for now. He thought she was probably only around 2, although hard to tell.

Not sure what to do about the neautering, he said the only way to tell if it has already been done is to open her up, as quite often scars wont be visible. Poor bunny might have to go through all of that for nothing. He did say it might help with the bond, but that I would most likely be able to tell once they are all together, as she would probably have her frisky times.

The link for the hutch is http://www.framebow.co.uk/index.php quite expensive, but so attractive. It hasnt arrived yet, and their communication hasnt been great, so we will see when friday comes as that is when it is due to arrive. I havent paid yet so I'm not worried that they are going to stitch me up or anything, I think they are just really laid back! Anyway, if you were thinking of ordering maybe wait till mine is delivered, I'll give a full update!

:shock::shock::shock: Thats very expensive!!!!!!!!!! Looks nice though :wave:

:shock::shock::shock: Thats very expensive!!!!!!!!!! Looks nice though :wave:

It is! Daesy as you haven't yet got it or paid for it, have you thought about buying a shed and attaching a run? A lot of people on here do that. it might work out cheaper for you.

It is! Daesy as you haven't yet got it or paid for it, have you thought about buying a shed and attaching a run? A lot of people on here do that. it might work out cheaper for you.

I did think about that, but this is soooo pretty! I had been saving anyway so I have the cash.

My recent bonding

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229434

and when i bonded my two pairs (two does and two bucks) i lost my BEW Saffy :cry:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=183952

I have some questions please! Did you bath them all at the same time? and do you actually wash them or just wet them? When you say swap litter trays, do you empty them first or swap them used? When you say put them in a small space, how small? Just small enough that they cant run? I dont have a crate - would a cardboard box be ok to take them for a drive? Do buns usually not fight if they are in a really small space?

wow thats more questions than i thought!

I have some questions please! Did you bath them all at the same time? and do you actually wash them or just wet them? When you say swap litter trays, do you empty them first or swap them used? When you say put them in a small space, how small? Just small enough that they cant run? I dont have a crate - would a cardboard box be ok to take them for a drive? Do buns usually not fight if they are in a really small space?

*attempts to answer a couple*

I think generally if they are going to fight, they will fight. Very occasionally bondings just won't work whatever. But with buns where a bond is likely a smaller space means they can't run and therefore can't chase and fur-pull.

I did my bondings initially in a space 2.5 by 2.5 foot. Then increased it to 5 by 2.5 foot. That was for four.

I did think about that, but this is soooo pretty! I had been saving anyway so I have the cash.

Oh that's good then. I'm sure that'll look nicer in a garden than a shed. (That's not to say that I haven't seen some beautiful sheds on here :oops:)

My first four i bonded in a heatwave! So i did bath (not completely soaking) them but my second four i just wiped them over thoroughly with a grooming wipe. NO i swapped the litter trays everyday with eachothers litter in. My second four needed to be a a small dog crate to start with as you can see in the picture they literally could hardly move, but that was just for the day, the first four i put in a medium dog crate so still quite small but it meant if they started being naughty i could just pick the crate up and put it in the car for a ride, they went for 5 car rides first day!

Longterm its very important to give buns plenty of space to get away from eachother and run round but with bonding especially groups giving too much space ends with them creating territories within that space, they also need space to fight, you are in a way forcing them to interact and sort themselves out, my last four i had to increase the space incrediably slowly, gradually giving more eachday and that would unsettle them slightly everytime and i waited for them to settle before increasing it more. My four i put in the big crate straight away and it was a disaster!!!!

Mine had a total of 6 weeks restricted space before i allowed them out in the whole garden, but for 6 weeks of stress they now have a huge setup, and a 90ft garden when im in to run round together. :wave:

Back