• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you know if you're allergic to your bunny?

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says really .............. I've got a nasty feeling that I may have become allergic to rabbit hair. For months now I've been getting a horrid rash around my eyes and I've spent ages trying to work out what was causing it (it makes me look like I've been bawling my eyes out for hours - the skin goes all red and inflamed about an inch all round my eyes :shock:). The rash had been bad during the week and by saturday had finally started to clear. By Sunday it had pretty much totally gone. Sunday afternoon I did a deep clean of the bunny accommodation and within a couple of hours my eyes were itching again.

It's finally occurred to me that the rash seems to have coincided with the bunny moult - which has been going on since about April (4 bunnies all at various stages of moult). I spot clean them all during the week and then do a thorough sweep out on a Sunday. Of course, the thorough sweep out will release all sorts of dander and hair that the spot clean of litter trays etc won't.

Now I maybe wrong - it may simply be eczema but the timing of the rash does seem to coincide with bunny moult. Does anyone else suffer this and what do you do about it? I think I may have to clean them out wearing goggles :lol::lol::lol:. Roll on winter when it's dark and the neighbours can't see me:oops:.

The first time I held Maia i had the feeling my windpipe was getting smaller - that's what you get when you have asthma and you come into contact with something you're mildly allergic to. Luckily it turns out it was mostly the hay and my body adapted. I still sneeze a lot when I do the bunny cleanings though.
Do you also sneeze whilst you're bunny cleaning? I suppose you would if you're allergic to rabbit fur, but every allergy is different and I only get any rash around my eyes if I rub them without washing my hands after touching an animal.

It could of course just be a hay fever type reaction but have you tried any of the animal allergy sprays. Somoneone on another forum I visit has guinea pigs and her OH was allergic to them and they were on the verge of having to rehome them, but I sent them some allergy spray to try and it has cleared the problem up.

It could of course just be a hay fever type reaction but have you tried any of the animal allergy sprays. Somoneone on another forum I visit has guinea pigs and her OH was allergic to them and they were on the verge of having to rehome them, but I sent them some allergy spray to try and it has cleared the problem up.

No I haven't tried them. What are they? I'd certainly be interested to see if it had any effect.

I should just point out that I would never rehome any of my critters just because I had an allergic reaction. I've already been looking at goggles on t'internet :lol::lol:.

No I haven't tried them. What are they? I'd certainly be interested to see if it had any effect.

I should just point out that I would never rehome any of my critters just because I had an allergic reaction. I've already been looking at goggles on t'internet :lol::lol:.

They help reduce the allergens and dander that come from the animals. There are several available on the market, Petal Cleanse and Canac Pet Allergy relief spray being amongst them. It was the Canac one that helped the guinea pig person.

I've only had my bunnies a couple of weeks and I don't think I'm allergic to them but I'm pretty convinced now that I'm allergic to their timothy hay. And it's the only type they like to eat! I get quite sneezy after I've topped up the hay racks as well as a rash on my right hand and arm where I've taken it out of the bag! I can live with it though, for the cuteness :)

Are you taking anthihisthamines? If not, take one about half an hour before you clean the bunsters out. If you already take one daily, try to time it as above. Mine make my eyes and nose itch and my asthma kick off when I do the weekly deep clean, but I time my medication and it's only a milk reaction that way.

I like the goggles idea. ;)

Your doctor can confirm allergies so thats the best way to find out :)

I am allergic to my cat and suffer badly around my eyes with her, but I manage it fine and only take allergy medication during the summer

I took an antihistamine immediately I felt the itchy eyes starting yesterday and I didn't come out in a rash. But I will try the sprays so thank you for the suggestion.

Rightho - I'm off to buy some idiot goggles.............................

I took an antihistamine immediately I felt the itchy eyes starting yesterday and I didn't come out in a rash. But I will try the sprays so thank you for the suggestion.

Rightho - I'm off to buy some idiot goggles.............................

I so wish you were my neighbour! :lol::lol::lol:

xxx

Over the years I've been running the rescue, I've become allergic to white rabbits.
This I've put down to there being no pigment in the fur.

It's always bad during moulting time especially on clean out days and also if I have more than 1 white rabbit at the vets.
Due mainly I think to me having to handle them and also do the 30 min trip there and then back again.

My vet has a right go at me if I haven't taken a tablet before I get there.:roll:
Mines mainly itchy eyes, skin on my face and arms. I sneeze a lot and my nose runs.
I also get a feeling of something crawling under my skin. Much like rolled oats dust makes me feel.

The things we go through for our animals :D

If i touch my face after touching the buns my eyes swell and itch then get really weepy and sore. I would try an allergy spray or anti-histamines

Back