• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am so nervous and feel sick - Peter has got his dental today. :(

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I have to drop Peter off between 8 and 9:30. We will leave about 8:15.

I am so worried abouy my poor boy. He did a few odd looking poops last night and is not wanting to eat any food. I rang vet last night and they said this is understandable because he is in severe pain.

The vet said they can syringe feed him when I drop him off so he has some energy for the operation.

Vet just rang to say Peter has had his teeth done. I have to ring again between 1 and 2!!! Cannot wait!!

His teeth were very long and sharp and had grown into his tongue. They were surprised that he had not shown any other signs before Saturday. They said he must be a very friendly rabbit. He is - he is Perfect Peter!

Anyway, I should be able to pick him up later. He is still a bit dopey but has had some ketamine (if thats how you spell it?!). He will be coming home with painkillers, special food to make him eat again and a syringe so I can syringe feed him.

He HAD moved outside with the girls and was happily living with them. However, we are getting his indoor cage set up again so we can keep a close eye on him inside with us.

Peter is home and has been to his water bottle a few times (and drank water).

He is not eating but the vet said he probably wouldn't. However, I have been given some special recovery powder which I mix with water to make a paste. I have a syringe to feed him but Peter won't let me get near his mouth. He is supposed to eat the pot full in 24 hours. I have managed to give him his medicine (syrup).

He is now led with his bottom in the litter tray because I think he wants to go to toilet but its not coming.

Dental bunnies can sometimes really hate anything coming near their mouth. My Grimlock is one of them. I had to wrap him in a towel, quite tightly but not tight enough to hurt. And lay him on his back with his head up and syringe feed him like that. I needed help from my friend!

When I can't get them to eat recovery food I make porridge with water and a little apple and banana and cook it up. I then puree it with a blender and leave it too cool to room temperature. They seem to like that. It's no way near as good as the recovery food but it's always got my buns and my chinchillas to eat as a last resort.

Good luck. And if you can't get enough food in him ring your vet for some advice. It's very important that they keep eating. :)

Thanks Jenova.

Peter has nibbled his spring greens and a cauliflower leaf. I am guessing its good thats he is eating something and drinking rather than worrying that he should be eating hay?? Am I right?

He still hasn't pooped but could that be beause he has only just started eating again? He keeps running back to his litter tray everytime he has a drink or nibbles some food. I think he wants to go ...

Thanks Jenova.

Peter has nibbled his spring greens and a cauliflower leaf. I am guessing its good thats he is eating something and drinking rather than worrying that he should be eating hay?? Am I right?

He still hasn't pooped but could that be beause he has only just started eating again? He keeps running back to his litter tray everytime he has a drink or nibbles some food. I think he wants to go ...

It's good that's he's eating anything! Hay will be really good for his teeth. Grimlock doesn't eat any of it unfortunately, so when he's all healthy try and get him to eat it again. You could buy some fancy hay online or from pets at home to entice him. :)

The not going to the toilet could be a little worrying though. Watch him carefully to see if he wees or poos at all. After an operation their poos can be a little funny for a day or two. But if there's nothing after 24 hours I would ring the vet or go back in, just to be safe!

Back