• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mis-aligned jaw ??

lildebs

Mama Doe
I that right, such a thing? Anyway just curious as there is a bun in the p@h adoption who was found as a stray..I was quite smitten with him :oops:, with uppy ears, enquired in general chat and seemingly he has a mis-aligned jaw, so his teeth grow more at one side? I think that's what she said...does that makes sense????

Wondering if someone could explain this in a little more detail in terms of care, he's also not neutered which is added prob.

Just thought I'd ask the question.

Many Thanks

my friend in school had this, and had her teeth braced and jaw altered. a charming dentist offered to re-set my jaw (ie, break it and realign it) for the same reason. he said i'd regret not having it done. so i don't doubt rabbits get it too.

i used to work in blackburn. at queens park high. its called something else now.

rabbits teeth continualy grow . As they grind against other when the bun eats the teeth wear away and should stay at a comfortable level . If a buns jaw is misalighned it means the grinding action wont work as the teeth are not lined up with each other (top and bottom jaw that is) so the teeth with nothing to waear against will become overgrown.

Leo had this :wave:
His lower jaw was slightly too far forward, so his front teeth didn't wear each other down and he'd end up with his lower teeth sticking out of his mouth :(

His had them burred down quite a few times in the hope his jaw would align itself properly, but it didn't. We started with about 5 weeks betwee burrs, but got down to 3 weeks. So in the end he had his incisors removed. It seems *touch wood* that removing his front teeth has allowed the jaw to rectify itself so that the molars can grind each other down, so luckily, for the moment at least, he is fine :)

Leo had this :wave:
His lower jaw was slightly too far forward, so his front teeth didn't wear each other down and he'd end up with his lower teeth sticking out of his mouth :(

His had them burred down quite a few times in the hope his jaw would align itself properly, but it didn't. We started with about 5 weeks betwee burrs, but got down to 3 weeks. So in the end he had his incisors removed. It seems *touch wood* that removing his front teeth has allowed the jaw to rectify itself so that the molars can grind each other down, so luckily, for the moment at least, he is fine :)

Aaaw sounds uncomfortable :( Glad Leo has improved :D
Thankyou that was very useful. :D

its relatively simple to burr the incisors and is usualy done when the rabbit is conscious (or the incisors can be removed) but if his jaw is misaligned effecting the molars then he will need general anaesthetic to burr the back teeth
dental buns are, financially a big commitment (and you may have trouble finding an insurance policy to cover a rabbit with known dental disease).

Hello.

After going to the vets on Sunday I discovered my rabbit has dental problems and this is probably due to a misaligned jaw. He has had no signs until Saturday evening when he stopped eating. I took him to the vets Sunday morning and they said it would be his teeth.

He went into the vets (this morning) for his teeth to be filed down (at the back) and the vet has just rang me. She said the teeth had actually grown through his tongue and were VERY sharp.

He will have some special food that I can syringe feed him as well as painkillers,etc.

The vets have suggested that the more hay he eats the better - however, some rabbits will need to have regular dentals, whatever their diet.

Taking on a rabbit with these known problems is a huge committent and I think you need to ensure you are financially stable before taking on such a pet. Also, I am pretty sure that insurance will not pay put for a problem that is already known - such as the teeth.

Elwood had a misaligned jaw which affected his incisors only. he had them removed when he was young and never really had a problem with his molars :)

Back