• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice/suggestions snuffly/snorting bun

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Angel has had dental and not long after her eye was very watery (shes the one with mouth disease, and has teary gucky eye because of it she has eye drops and we bathe it etc) anyway After bathing her eye and rubbing her tear duct to flush it she began to snort when she was eating its now 2 weeks later and she snorts all the time esp when eating or when shes excited. We had her checked over but shes fine its like she has a blocked nose any ideas how we could unblock it or help her?

As she is a Dental Bun I suspect that the cause of her eye problems and now her snuffling is elongated tooth roots. Has she had skull radiographs taken to establish if this is the case ?

Does she have any sneezing episodes and/or mucus production ?

yeah shes had xrays etc that how we found out that her eye was her tooth roots and not to flush her tear duct anymore as it will kill her its totally closed up. But the snorting is just recent so was scared when first heard her, i took her to vet who said shes ok and that she'll pull herself through like she normally does.
On the good side though her teeth are now absorbing back into her gums so hoping when her top teeth do this the roots will then stop pressing as much as they will be inactive although she'll always have eye trouble.
Is there anything we should do or is she ok, and just ignore the snorting. I was worried that I had stressed her out but its got worse now instead of better so obv not stress.

As she is a Dental Bun I suspect that the cause of her eye problems and now her snuffling is elongated tooth roots. Has she had skull radiographs taken to establish if this is the case ?

Does she have any sneezing episodes and/or mucus production ?

Oh and not really lots of sneezing but she does occassionally sound like shes trying to snort out her nose and rubs her eyes. Her nostrils are sometimes a little wet but nothing more than shes ever had

When was her last skull xray ?

My concern is that an abscess can form in a blocked nasolacrimal duct. Has she had systemic antibiotics recently ?

Have you tried nebulising her to see if this helps ?

Back