View Full Version : Im drying loads of herbs for winter! 2010 Forageing Thread

Pages : [1] 2

chelle
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi all!:wave:

Soi exciting - just wait till my OH opens the airing cupboard!:lol::lol::lol:

Ive got bundles of Lemonbalm and parsley hanging in there!:lol:
And a box underneath with rosemary cuttings!:lol:

Ive collected all the rosepetals in the garden & zipped them in the microwave till crisp....had to kill some tiny bug things!:shock: Plus it was quicker than leaving them to dry!

Now Im waiting for my marigolds to grow....and sussing out the garden for anything else to dry for winter!

Ooooh - have what to me is Daisy's - now can I dry those - cause it looks like chamomile? But who knows what type of Daisy/chamomile it is?:?

hurricanhoney
01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Lucky bunnies with all those goodies drying. :)

thumps_
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Chamomile & mayweed species are all safe for buns. You can recognise them by their fine feathery leaves.
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1016&bih=589&q=Mayweed&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I wouldn't use any other "daisy looking" plants. some eg. oxeye daisy aren't safe for buns.

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
My fingers are sore from picking brambles to dry for my boys :lol:

And luckily the roses have bloomed really well this year - have got lots of paper bags filled with dried rose petals - my boys are addicted to them, fresh or dried.

Todays bramble pick, ready to dry:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Bunnies%20August%202010/photocomppurpleandBBmarchingband010.jpg

chelle
01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Chamomile & mayweed species are all safe for buns. You can recognise them by their fine feathery leaves.
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1016&bih=589&q=Mayweed&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I wouldn't use any other "daisy looking" plants. some eg. oxeye daisy aren't safe for buns.

oooh thanks you! i think I have the Oxeye....theres a clump of green leaves all together & a few spindly stalks with daisys on them.....how annoying!:evil: Might dig them up & replace with the right ones now!:D

chelle
01-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Lucky bunnies with all those goodies drying. :)

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

chelle
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM

And luckily the roses have bloomed really well this year - have got lots of paper bags filled with dried rose petals - my boys are addicted to them, fresh or dried.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Bunnies%20August%202010/photocomppurpleandBBmarchingband010.jpg

poor fingers!:shock:
ooooh - they look great!:D
Do you wash them all?

Can you not use the stems?
Cause of the thorns?

Ive got the whole stems of the lemonbalms & the rosemary...is this ok? Or should i take the leaves off once dry?
And not give them the stems?

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
poor fingers!:shock:
ooooh - they look great!:D
Do you wash them all?

Can you not use the stems?
Cause of the thorns?

Ive got the whole stems of the lemonbalms & the rosemary...is this ok? Or should i take the leaves off once dry?
And not give them the stems?

I pick the leaves off cos I don't like the thorny stalks (although they turn up in bags of hay!) but some of the stalks were soooo thorny. I picked them after we'd had rain - saves washing them :lol: (and only from higher up so that they hadn't had any dog wee on them)

I should think the stems of the herbs would be fine - my boys eat the stems of the basil plants quite happily. And I'm drying the calendula stalks and leaves for them too.

chelle
01-08-2010, 07:20 PM
I pick the leaves off cos I don't like the thorny stalks (although they turn up in bags of hay!) but some of the stalks were soooo thorny. I picked them after we'd had rain - saves washing them :lol: (and only from higher up so that they hadn't had any dog wee on them)

I should think the stems of the herbs would be fine - my boys eat the stems of the basil plants quite happily. And I'm drying the calendula stalks and leaves for them too.

:lol::lol::lol: Im gonna pick after the rain too! Great idea!
I'll leave the stalks on then....
ooooh - calendula -thats marigolds hey? Ive got some growing...I thought I could just dry the flowers...they are just great and easy to dry...guess I could do the whole plant too...well leave the root out maybe!:roll:

Im thinking of going to buy some more herbs just to dry them all!:lol:

Gonna get a book so help me cause i didnt grow up in this country so dont know whats what ....then Im gonna go crazy mad drying everything! The winters last forever here....:shock:

thumps_
01-08-2010, 08:40 PM
oooh thanks you! i think I have the Oxeye....theres a clump of green leaves all together & a few spindly stalks with daisys on them.....how annoying!:evil: Might dig them up & replace with the right ones now!:D

If you find some that just have the yellow dome & no white petals (pineapple mayweed) - nab them for yourself. The young small domes make a lovely slightly pineapple flavoured herb tea!

chell, the English marigolds calendula, are so easy to grow. If you cut off the flower & it's stalk, they'll keep on trying to flower & grow bushier;) then take the top of the plant in autumn. It's a bit late for this year, but if watered well you'll probably get some flowers.

ETA We can make our own plant/herb mix infinately cheaper than the bought ones AND have some fun. I'm waiting for the reciepes to start on RU.

HoppingBinky
01-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I know this might sound daft but do you just pick leaves etc of safe plants and let them dry "out in the open" as it were. I never thought about doing that i have bunny safe plants in my garden they always munch them fresh.

chelle
01-08-2010, 09:04 PM
If you find some that just have the yellow dome & no white petals (pineapple mayweed) - nab them for yourself. The young small domes make a lovely slightly pineapple flavoured herb tea!

chell, the English marigolds calendula, are so easy to grow. If you cut off the flower & it's stalk, they'll keep on trying to flower & grow bushier;) then take the top of the plant in autumn. It's a bit late for this year, but if watered well you'll probably get some flowers.

ETA We can make our own plant/herb mix infinately cheaper than the bought ones AND have some fun. I'm waiting for the reciepes to start on RU.

My daisy thing shave petals that are white...so thinking they not the pineapple mayweed.....the tea sounds really nice!mmmmmmm......:)

I planted my marigolds all round my parsley & basil ....so they should hopefull flower loads! What do you mean about taking the top of the plant in autumn?

Its def. more fun & cheaper I reckon....Ive been slinking about the shops sussing out what they have in their natural forage goodie bags & then rushing off home to look in the garden!:roll::lol:
Recipe ideas should be fun! I may just bung it all together....but may be nice to have seperate bags....hee heee....like calming ones for those stressful bunny days! or comforting ones!:D

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I know this might sound daft but do you just pick leaves etc of safe plants and let them dry "out in the open" as it were. I never thought about doing that i have bunny safe plants in my garden they always munch them fresh.

I lay mine out on trays either in the greenhouse or on top of the hutches in the aviary - the sun dries them really quickly :D

chelle
01-08-2010, 09:11 PM

:D Yeah if its sunny - make sure they dont blow away - so you could place them between some mesh.....as long as it doesnt rain youll be fine....

Ive cut long stalks of parsley & lemonbalm and washed them ...then shook them out & left them for a while to dry - laid on our decking - then gathered them into bunches and have hung them i our airing cupboard....

I also snipped aload of roesmary - twigs & all - and laid them in a carboard box in the airing cupboard too.

Some people have a hydrator - which is apparently great if you do loads...I dont have one....just what Ive read.

oooh - i also gathered loads of rose petals - which you can dry out laying flat on some tissue...I put mine on some paper towelling and popped it into the microwave for 1 min or until crisp...they done then ready for storage and sprinking over the hay etc....
Ive a few questions about rose-hips - Ive put a threas in Diet section - so hopefully someone can help with that & then you can use them too....but not a treat to be given often.:D

There is SO much you can dry & its way cheaper if you do it yourself....and it keeps for ages - so Im doing it now for winter when thers not much fresh stuff about:p

chelle
01-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I lay mine out on trays either in the greenhouse or on top of the hutches in the aviary - the sun dries them really quickly :D

:lol::lol::lol: look how long my reply was!:lol::lol::lol:

Blackberry - how do you store yours?

Are they sealed - read somewhere that those bags that suck the air out keep them fresh etc etc:?

Would it go mouldy in the loft?
Our shed will get cold & damp...its old.....:oops:

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
:lol::lol::lol: look how long my reply was!:lol::lol::lol:

Blackberry - how do you store yours?

Are they sealed - read somewhere that those bags that suck the air out keep them fresh etc etc:?

Would it go mouldy in the loft?
Our shed will get cold & damp...its old.....:oops:

I bought some strong brown paper bags off ebay, and when they're full I staple the top of each one over and store them in a cardboard box on shelves in the garage. That way they can 'breathe' - don't know about plastic bags - I guess if the air was sucked out condensation wouldn't get in, but it might crush the plants? :?

HoppingBinky
01-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I bought some strong brown paper bags off ebay, and when they're full I staple the top of each one over and store them in a cardboard box on shelves in the garage. That way they can 'breathe' - don't know about plastic bags - I guess if the air was sucked out condensation wouldn't get in, but it might crush the plants? :?

I did try once with some mint and it went mouldy very fast. I wondered if you could freeze mint and preserve it that way.:? but not to sure. Thank you both for your tips tho i'm going to have a go tomorrow.:D

thumps_
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Oooo we can't use plasic for home dried. They still give off moisture, especially with temp changes, & will go mouldy. Paper bags & thin layers in cardboard boxes with paper between are good. I store mine in the loft cos the wooden shed gets a lot of condensation in it in Autumn & Winter.

Chell, I meant to cut off the whole marigold in Autumn & dry the lot, leaves & stems.

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Does this make me sad that I photograph the things I pick to dry???:oops::oops::oops:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Bunnies%20August%202010/bunniesaugust2010038.jpg

lildebs
01-08-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm really loving these threads and learning so much, I've been out and picked alsorts but have never tried drying them for winter good idea, are they left to dry in a cool place or warm? :D

Blackberry & Co
01-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm really loving these threads and learning so much, I've been out and picked alsorts but have never tried drying them for winter good idea, are they left to dry in a cool place or warm? :D

They dry really quickly if you can put them in a hot sunny place :D

lildebs
01-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Aah good. I have found lots of the Mayweed Thumps talks of, lovely aroma. :D

weedug
02-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Sorry to butt in, but is it petals from any rose bush or just certain ones? And do they eat only the petals or the leaves too?

Blackberry & Co
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Sorry to butt in, but is it petals from any rose bush or just certain ones? And do they eat only the petals or the leaves too?

Mine love the petals and the leaves. They've tried petals from all the roses in our garden (of which there are many) and they definitely have favourites! Deep red ones are 'ok', white are 'really good', yellow are acceptable' and pink are 'woo-hoo!!!!):lol:

lildebs
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
:lol: mine love the leaves but not sure about petals YET as the bush I picked from the roses had more or less died, probably from the awful rain we've had here :roll:

Amy.
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm getting jelous of all the interesting plants you lot have found!

Atm, I've only found rose petals, rose leaves and bramble leaves to dry! The dandelions and plantain all get eaten before I have a chance to save any :lol:

Anyone know a good website where you can identify weeds/ plants? Ideally with pictures and things? I've seen a few things in my garden that the buns might like but I don't know if they're safe cos I dunno what they are!

lildebs
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Just 'google' a plant then click images, that's what I do but then first time around I went out with a camera and scissors taking clipping and photo's and uploading them on here for Thumps/PL to clarify. :lol::lol:

weedug
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Just fed mine some purple roses. Definitely a "quick, give me more"! :lol:

Amy.
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Just fed mine some purple roses. Definitely a "quick, give me more"! :lol:

Same! They're definitely favoured above red, pink and yellow :lol:

Jemma&Theo
02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
on the subject of brambles.....

is that leaves of just blackberry? or blackberry and rasberry ?

I have blackberry , rasberry, redcurrant growing........are these all safe?

Blackberry & Co
02-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I pick blackberry, raspberry and tayberry. Also gooseberry.

Not sure about the currants tho :?

lildebs
02-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I believe Redcurrant is part of the Gooseberry family, and sure they're ok for buns too but double check with Thumps/PL. :D

thumps_
02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Currants are OK as long as they are the fruiting sort. [The sort with red flowers & no currants aren't safe] All long standing edible fruit trees/shrubs are safe EXCEPT for plum & cherry.
[Sorry I don't know about recently introduced species eg. Kiwi fruit, fig, & melon pear.]

thumps_
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I believe Redcurrant is part of the Gooseberry family, and sure they're ok for buns too but double check with Thumps/PL. :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oooo I just laughed. My knowledge is quite limited in comparison to someone like Bavarian bunny or Parsnipbun, & I reckon PL has overtaken me!!! But as a country lass it was hammered into me what was poisonous, & what I could give my bun! There are a lot more safe plants than I know of RWA does a good booklet.

ETA I love looking in on these threads cos I get the feeling that you folk are enjoying yourselves; & some folk have found a whole new world!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Amy.
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
ETA I love looking in on these threads cos I get the feeling that you folk are enjoying yourselves; & some folk have found a whole new world!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Definitely! :wave:
I find myself looking around and noticing all the different things growing, and trying to identify them. I know the buns appreciate it anyway :lol: Even if I don't pick anything, I like finding out what it is anyway.
Not sure it what most 16 year old girls do... but hey! :lol:

bensonlola
02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm comin to swipe those!!!

Blackberry & Co
02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm comin to swipe those!!!

You'll have to fight Clover for them :lol::lol::lol:

lildebs
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oooo I just laughed. My knowledge is quite limited in comparison to someone like Bavarian bunny or Parsnipbun, & I reckon PL has overtaken me!!! But as a country lass it was hammered into me what was poisonous, & what I could give my bun! There are a lot more safe plants than I know of RWA does a good booklet.

Don't know about that but I've certainly been taught a few things lately!
I spend my time looking at trees and plants whether it be out in car or walking! :lol::lol: but I'm enjoying myself and buns are definatly enjoying! :lol:

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Hoping to see Jill later to offload a van full of raspberry canes (& leaves) + apple twigs which I chopped on Sunday for the Honeybunnies. I've tied them into carry-able sized bundles, they look like the bundles of reed and straw the thatchers use :lol: My OH said "I bet people see you filling your car with this lot and think you're mad!". I said "Oh they don't THINK I'm mad, they KNOW I am!" :lol:

In my garage hanging from my roof drying I have: carrot tops, dandelions, lovage, lemonbalm & mint. In trays there are pea pods, rose petals and apple twigs. I love it :D

chelle
03-08-2010, 11:42 AM

Thank you!:p will go hunuting for paper bags & start labelling! wahoooo!

chelle
03-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Oooo we can't use plasic for home dried. They still give off moisture, especially with temp changes, & will go mouldy. Paper bags & thin layers in cardboard boxes with paper between are good. I store mine in the loft cos the wooden shed gets a lot of condensation in it in Autumn & Winter.

Chell, I meant to cut off the whole marigold in Autumn & dry the lot, leaves & stems.

Thank you!:love:
Will get some paper bags & some boxes - that the busn have re-decorated!:lol::lol::lol:

My shed is open to the weather slightsly and gets very damp - so guessing the loft may be better....cold hopefully not too damp...
Im guessing the house would be too warm in the winter to store the paperbags in a cupboard or something?:?

chelle
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Does this make me sad that I photograph the things I pick to dry???:oops::oops::oops:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Bunnies%20August%202010/bunniesaugust2010038.jpg

aaah - that looks lovely!
I wish Id taken some pics too - i had the whole of our decking covered in bunches of lemonbalms!:lol:

I will take a pic of them drying in the airing cupboard - been there 2 days & almost good to go!
:D
The parsley takes forever though - looks the same? Any tips?:?

chelle
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Hoping to see Jill later to offload a van full of raspberry canes (& leaves) + apple twigs which I chopped on Sunday for the Honeybunnies. I've tied them into carry-able sized bundles, they look like the bundles of reed and straw the thatchers use :lol: My OH said "I bet people see you filling your car with this lot and think you're mad!". I said "Oh they don't THINK I'm mad, they KNOW I am!" :lol:

In my garage hanging from my roof drying I have: carrot tops, dandelions, lovage, lemonbalm & mint. In trays there are pea pods, rose petals and apple twigs. I love it :D

:lol::lol::lol:
Wow - thats sounds fantastic!

What are pea pods? like normal mangetout pods?:oops:
Sound like a right idiot now!:roll::lol:

Ive been telling my OH & my sister (she has a guinea-pig) what they can dry! Im told that my buns are looked after better than some peoples kids! :lol:
BUT - I just learnt soo much on this forum i get excited so tell everyone about it - plus why not make an effort for the buns....people do with their other pets and no one comments?!:roll:

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Wow - thats sounds fantastic!

What are pea pods? like normal mangetout pods?:oops:
Sound like a right idiot now!:roll::lol:

Ive been telling my OH & my sister (she has a guinea-pig) what they can dry! Im told that my buns are looked after better than some peoples kids! :lol:
BUT - I just learnt soo much on this forum i get excited so tell everyone about it - plus why not make an effort for the buns....people do with their other pets and no one comments?!:roll:

I am very lucky, as well as being able to grow my own veg I have friends in the village with an allotment and twice a week (at least) a "bunny bag" gets delivered to my door. It has in it anything they don't want or can't eat from the plot :shock: (they have been given a copy of the "going green" leaflet from the RWA!). There's far too much to get through before it would go off so I'm having a go at drying pretty much anything which I know is safe for the buns! The pea pods are just the shells from peas ;) The buns seem to really like them and they keep fresh for up to a week on the cold garage floor. I'm experimenting with drying some, just done the first batch & they go really hard like kettle chips :shock::lol: I'll get some piccies :D

JLG
03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Sorry this is a really basic question, but do you just hang the stuff up somewhere to dry out and that's it? How do you store, how long will it keep etc? I pick fresh stuff (dandelion, clover, bramble, etc) every day for my 2 as i figure I might as well get free food for them while I can, but if i can keep some of it for the winter that would be great.
Any drying/keeping stuff tips gratefully received.

thanks

Elena
03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I am very lucky, as well as being able to grow my own veg I have friends in the village with an allotment and twice a week (at least) a "bunny bag" gets delivered to my door. It has in it anything they don't want or can't eat from the plot :shock: (they have been given a copy of the "going green" leaflet from the RWA!). There's far too much to get through before it would go off so I'm having a go at drying pretty much anything which I know is safe for the buns! The pea pods are just the shells from peas ;) The buns seem to really like them and they keep fresh for up to a week on the cold garage floor. I'm experimenting with drying some, just done the first batch & they go really hard like kettle chips :shock::lol: I'll get some piccies :D

Damn wish I'd thought of drying them! We had a glut of them but I daren't give mine too many cos sweet veg gives Mini excess cecals.

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry this is a really basic question, but do you just hang the stuff up somewhere to dry out and that's it? How do you store, how long will it keep etc? I pick fresh stuff (dandelion, clover, bramble, etc) every day for my 2 as i figure I might as well get free food for them while I can, but if i can keep some of it for the winter that would be great.
Any drying/keeping stuff tips gratefully received.

thanks

Either hang from somewhere cool & airy or lay on trays in the sun or airing cupboard (if you have one). Stored in cardboard boxes or paper bags. Should keep right through the winter :D

JLG
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks Fluffers, I'm going to pick extra each night and start stocking up for winter.
My hubbie will be delighted :roll:

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Pea pods before and after
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood006.jpg
Group pics :lol:
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood007.jpg
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood008.jpg
Other stuff drying out in the garage (excuse mess)
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood004.jpg

Carrot tops and lovage hanging up to dry
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood003.jpg

Baby bath full of grass from the paddock :shock:
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood005.jpg

Raspberry canes for the Honeybunnies + a few apple twigs (You can't really guage the size but the bundles are each 2-3ft long!)
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood001.jpg
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b403/jennywilford/Bunfood002.jpg
...and I'm afraid that all of the above HAVE been tested on animals....

My two foster bunnies Bouncer and Jester :lol: and they say NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM :D :lol:

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks Fluffers, I'm going to pick extra each night and start stocking up for winter.
My hubbie will be delighted :roll:

He should be delighted :D It's a win win win win as far as I can see. It get us out in the fresh air/countryside. It makes use of what is free and available rather than it going to waste. It provides our much loved bunnies with yummy things that are good for them and it saves money!

Rose petals and brambles are the easiest things to dry (I've found). Both turn crispy within a day of being left in a box somewhere cool & dry. I've just pruned all the rose bushes so now waiting for the second flowering :D

I'm also taking Jill two bales of lush new hay I've just had delivered. It's fab stuff and I'm really lucky to get it at such a good price (3 a bale). I've paid up front for 70 bales because it's so yummy :D

Elena
03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
*conspires to pinch the roses off the bush out the front* http://images19.fotki.com/v1612/photos/4/768474/8850408/Whistling-vi.gif

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
*conspires to pinch the roses off the bush out the front* http://images19.fotki.com/v1612/photos/4/768474/8850408/Whistling-vi.gif

:lol::lol:

JLG
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Don't have roses in the garden - presume wild ones are ok?
Tons of brambles so will arm myself with gloves and scissors tonight. :D
Will try to get some of the marigolds but the buns have been munching on them since they came into flower and the flowers aren't growing as quick as they're being eaten :lol:

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Don't have roses in the garden - presume wild ones are ok?Tons of brambles so will arm myself with gloves and scissors tonight. :D
Will try to get some of the marigolds but the buns have been munching on them since they came into flower and the flowers aren't growing as quick as they're being eaten :lol:

Don't see why not. You could ask friends/family if they mind collecting petals from their garden for you. They make a bit of a mess when they drop so people are often only to happy to pop them in a bag for you!

Blackberry & Co
03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
If you're collecting rose petals off friends just make sure they haven't used and insecticides etc on their plants :wave:

Blackberry & Co
03-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Ooh, I keep forgetting to ask, but are crab apple leaves and branches ok for buns? I have no normal apple trees that I can get leaves/branches off, but can get some from crab apple trees....

thumps_
03-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Ooh, I keep forgetting to ask, but are crab apple leaves and branches ok for buns? I have no normal apple trees that I can get leaves/branches off, but can get some from crab apple trees....

Ooo yes, Thumps loves them.

HoppingBinky
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Can buns have pears/pear leaves?

Fluffers
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Can buns have pears/pear leaves?

I think leaves are ok but I'd only give pears very occasionally and in very tiny amounts, same as other fruit really :)

thumps_
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
It's very quiet tonight. Have you all run out of drying space?

chelle
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM

Ive ordered the nutrition rabbit book and cant wait to go collecting more bits! My sisters gonna come and help collect bless her!:p

Wondering - when we introduce greens we have to do it gradually....so with dried stuff - do we have to do it gradually with each idividual herb/leaves/petals etc? Or just chuck a handful of mixed bits in?:?

:p

lilbun
05-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Hhhhmmmm.

I had a flat tyre today, and had to make an urgent trip to the garage.
Unfortunately this coincided with me trying out your 'car drying' method.
The mechanic took one look at the 'herbs' covering every inch of available space inside my car and his eyebrows went through the roof! I don't think my spluttered explanation of 'it's rabbit food, honestly, it's not THOSE sort of herbs' helped much....

chelle
05-08-2010, 01:06 AM

The mechanic didnt ask to buy some off you then?:lol::lol::lol:

lilbun
05-08-2010, 01:11 AM

The mechanic didnt ask to buy some off you then?:lol::lol::lol:

Dammit, I should have thought of selling him some- it might have paid for the tyre :lol:

thumps_
05-08-2010, 03:00 AM
It seems that the herb drying efforts for our buns is more exciting than expected!

My "care co-ordinater" thought I'd gone "bonkers" when she saw plaintain leaves drying on every windowsill, available surface, & parts of the floor.:lol::lol:
Now there's Lilbun's experience with the mechanic. :lol::lol:

What next I wonder?

hurricanhoney
05-08-2010, 07:51 AM
I picked too much plantain the other day and it is now drying in a paper bag. Brambles are they blackberry leaves but wild ones :?

Blackberry & Co
05-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I picked too much plantain the other day and it is now drying in a paper bag. Brambles are they blackberry leaves but wild ones :?

Yes, the plants are blackberry brambles. I think they can eat the fruit too, but mine haven't tried those yet. Hmmm....guess you could dry the berries too......

hurricanhoney
05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
[/B]

Yes, the plants are blackberry brambles. I think they can eat the fruit too, but mine haven't tried those yet. Hmmm....guess you could dry the berries too......

Thank you. We had a blackberry bush at the top of the garden which I asked my dad not to cut down but he did :(

Blackberry & Co
05-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you. We had a blackberry bush at the top of the garden which I asked my dad not to cut down but he did :(

Yeah. it's funny hbow some people don't like brambles in the garden,my mum's the same :roll: Luckily we back onto heathland which is overrun with brambles:D

newbielou
05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
I've just found this thread and i'm finding it really helpful. I grow my own veg in the garden anyway so when my new bunnies are a little older they will have plenty of organic munchables :). I'm also starting another herb patch so they will have plenty next spring when they're older. They are only 8 weeks just now so dont want to upset their little tummies. I have brambles over the fence at the bottom of my garden so im going to pick a shoebox full of leaves to dry so they can have a little with their hay to add variety. I also have a strawberry patch can they eat those leaves aswell or not? Also do you know if bunnies can eat courgette?
Thankyou

Amy x

Blackberry & Co
05-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Bunnies love strawberries, and the leaves and the long runners - yours will be very happy bunnies with all of those herbs and veg!

Not sure about courgette....

Fluffers
05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Also do you know if bunnies can eat courgette?
Thankyou

Amy x

They can but neither of my foster buns like it :roll:

Amy.
05-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm still having lots of fun with this :D
Unfortunately my family won't let me use every window sill in the house, so I'm confined to my bedroom and the study :(:lol:
It's going well though, so I'm pleased.

I have some dandelions out the front, they're a dull green with sort of purpley areas. They also have a white covering, a bit like chalk? Anyone know what this is and if I can still use them? :)

thumps_
05-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately my family won't let me use every window sill in the house, so I'm confined to my bedroom and the study :(:lol:

I have some dandelions out the front, they're a dull green with sort of purpley areas. They also have a white covering, a bit like chalk? Anyone know what this is and if I can still use them? :)

That sounds like plant "mildew". Sorry you'll have to get rid of them. It's a problem in high humdity & they don't dry fast enough.:(

lilbun
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM

The chalky covering sounds like mildew, and I wouldn't personally feed them. What I would probably do is pick off the mildewed leaves to encourage fresh new growth. I wouldn't be concerned about the purpley areas, I think that's normal :)

chelle
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
They can but neither of my foster buns like it :roll:

Referring to courgette - was this about the vege? or the leaves?

Can we dry the leaves do you think?:?

And bumping up question about feeding them dried bits - do we have to introduce individually? or can we chuck in a mixed handful?

i know with fresh its all slowly done one by one - so wondering if its the same with dried!?:?

annnnnd finally some pics of my herbs! Lets see if I can post some (first time for everything!)

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs 843.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz358%2Fdragonflydo wn%2FBunny%2520food%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3 DP1080439Driedfreshrosepetals.jpg%26

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs 843.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz358%2Fdragonflydo wn%2FBunny%2520food%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3 DP1080438Strawberryleavesreadytobedried.jpg%26

:love::love::love:

chelle
05-08-2010, 02:42 PM
How do we post the actual pic and not just the link?:shock::roll:

Fluffers
05-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Referring to courgette - was this about the vege? or the leaves?

Can we dry the leaves do you think?:?

And bumping up question about feeding them dried bits - do we have to introduce individually? or can we chuck in a mixed handful?

i know with fresh its all slowly done one by one - so wondering if its the same with dried!?:?

annnnnd finally some pics of my herbs! Lets see if I can post some (first time for everything!)

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs 843.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz358%2Fdragonflydo wn%2FBunny%2520food%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3 DP1080439Driedfreshrosepetals.jpg%26

http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/zz358/dragonflydown/Bunny%20food/?action=view&current=P1080442LemonbalmParsleycarrottopshangingr osemaryinthebox.jpg#!oZZ3QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs 843.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz358%2Fdragonflydo wn%2FBunny%2520food%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3 DP1080438Strawberryleavesreadytobedried.jpg%26

:lol: that last pic looks just like my airing cupboard :lol:

Not sure about courgette leaves....:?

Re. posting pics from photobucket - you need to past the last link from the list for it to appear here :D the one ending in img I think

chelle
05-08-2010, 03:32 PM
ok - will try again - just trying to de my signature too! Dunno what Im doing!:roll::lol:

thumps_
06-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry I don't know about corgette leaves either.

ebonys mum
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
so glad i read this thread i've learned so much i've just been to my local garden center and in the clearance section i've just purchased a tray of mixed herbs all bunny safe for 5 just put them all in pots as i don't have a very big garden :D

chelle
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
so glad i read this thread i've learned so much i've just been to my local garden center and in the clearance section i've just purchased a tray of mixed herbs all bunny safe for 5 just put them all in pots as i don't have a very big garden :D

:D Thats great! So exciting to know what you can feed & what you cant! It just means we can be abit more varied in what we give our bunnies & great to be able to give them more of what they would eat naturally! :love:
A visit to the garden centre for sales might be in order!:D

ebonys mum
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
i work in a carehome and their organic sensory garden needed pruning so i bought all the cuttings home with me:lol: well they would only have gone in the rubbish bin:(

Blackberry & Co
07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
i work in a carehome and their organic sensory garden needed pruning so i bought all the cuttings home with me:lol: well they would only have gone in the rubbish bin:(

That's a good example of recycling :lol:

thumps_
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Oooo there's a post from a real expert on bunny herbs & nutrition "Galen" about dandelions on http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239333&page=2 # 15. Well worth a look & well worth checking out the web site.

prettylupin
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Sorry I don't know about corgette leaves either.

I do! They're safe :D:wave:

Read it somewhere - maybe in one of my books.

Poppy has spent the entire summer pruning back my huge courgette leaves - even the really big prickly ones - she holds them down over the fence by standing on her tiptoes and Nino comes along and joins in! In the end I picked a whole leaf for them and left it on the lawn... did they want it??? NO :roll::lol::lol: They much prefer them fresh on the plant where it involves being naughty and getting told off! :roll::D

Blackberry & Co
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I do! They're safe :D:wave:

Read it somewhere - maybe in one of my books.

Poppy has spent the entire summer pruning back my huge courgette leaves - even the really big prickly ones - she holds them down over the fence by standing on her tiptoes and Nino comes along and joins in! In the end I picked a whole leaf for them and left it on the lawn... did they want it??? NO :roll::lol::lol: They much prefer them fresh on the plant where it involves being naughty and getting told off! :roll::D

My boys are the same with herbs :lol: If I give them a whole pot they'll eat it grudgingly, but If I put a pot where they can pull the leaves through the wire netting they are so much happier :lol:

demelza
07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
really interesting post. a few questions for you all. how often is it ok to give them the dry brambles etc?
are they feed instead of veg like greens?

thumps_
08-08-2010, 12:22 AM
really interesting post. a few questions for you all. how often is it ok to give them the dry brambles etc?
are they feed instead of veg like greens?

Much depends on whether your bun has a healthy gut or is prone to stasis.

Tree/shrub leaves/rose petals are low in nutrients & high in fiber, so they fill the same niche as hay. You may like mix them in with the hay to make it more interesting.

If you are trying to prevent stasis, with no obvious underlying cause, a 3 kilo bun needs just over 1/2 a bowl full of bramble leaves /day, every day.
Fill to 3/4 with plantains other dried plants eg marigolds & herbs, to completely substitute for veg.

With a healthy bun it's best to go 50/50 at 1st. If you run out of wild plants, you have to re acclimitise your bun to shop veg again.

A completely dry diet can cause calcium in the urine if the bunny doesn't drink well.

My own bun has a totally wild diet because of GI illness & dental issues. It's hard to remember how much he ate before he got worse.

demelza
08-08-2010, 12:43 AM
thank you for such a good reply, really helpful.
as far as i can tell they both have healthy guts, only had they 2 weeks and they are both young.
plus until the last few weeks i'd never heard of most of these things, so i am on a big learning curve.
but i really want what is best for my girls.

yvette
08-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Hmmmmm.Told my neighbour all about this thread.Now I possess 2 carrier bags of dandylion leaves!! and tomorrow Im off foraging in my garden and up the field.I have a spare bedroom for drying off the goodies.....So much for paying 2.99 for a bag of Forage by Excel......:lol::lol::lol:......

chelle
08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Hmmmmm.Told my neighbour all about this thread.Now I possess 2 carrier bags of dandylion leaves!! and tomorrow Im off foraging in my garden and up the field.I have a spare bedroom for drying off the goodies.....So much for paying 2.99 for a bag of Forage by Excel......:lol::lol::lol:......

:lol::lol::lol: Can just imagine all the neighbours weeding for you!:D
Thats great!
Excel forage goes so fast - now we can make our own!
Marigolds grow so fast and are so easy to dry out too - way better than buying it! Hope Excel dont hear of this!:lol::lol::lol:

Blackberry & Co
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Lucky you!!!!!

Blackberry & Co
10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
There is a lovely patch of raspberry canes growing on the heath where I do my bramble rambes....a few of them are now potted up in my garden :oops:

(They are potted as last time I planted raspberry canes at the side of the greenhouse they spread like wildfire, even growing up inside the green house :shock: - I thought planting them in large pots might make them easier to control :lol:)

thumps_
10-08-2010, 01:43 PM
There is a lovely patch of raspberry canes growing on the heath where I do my bramble rambes....a few of them are now potted up in my garden :oops:

(They are potted as last time I planted raspberry canes at the side of the greenhouse they spread like wildfire, even growing up inside the green house :shock: - I thought planting them in large pots might make them easier to control :lol:)

Ah but will you need to control them with bunnies around? :lol:

Bungle bunny
10-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Its def. more fun & cheaper I reckon....Ive been slinking about the shops sussing out what they have in their natural forage goodie bags & then rushing off home to look in the garden!:roll::lol:
Recipe ideas should be fun! I may just bung it all together....but may be nice to have seperate bags....hee heee....like calming ones for those stressful bunny days! or comforting

:love::wave::mrgreen::mrgreen: :lol:

Grace65
10-08-2010, 03:09 PM
What does plantain look like?
im nervous of picking anything im not sure of, ive got bramble leaves drying (the garden is full of it if anyone wants any)
so you can dry dandelions? is that the leaves and flower?
i need some photos of what is safe to pick and dry but cant find much at the moment. xxxxxxx

demelza
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
i'm another one unsure on what is safe, so i've just been doind brambles and dandalions. but anyone have pics of any other stuff that is safe to pick it would be lovely

thumps_
10-08-2010, 03:38 PM
What does plantain look like?
im nervous of picking anything im not sure of, ive got bramble leaves drying (the garden is full of it if anyone wants any)
so you can dry dandelions? is that the leaves and flower?
i need some photos of what is safe to pick and dry but cant find much at the moment. xxxxxxx

If you know what you want to find, but don't know what it looks like, try selecting images & google for the plant. BUT some plants can look very similar to non-bunny friendly plants. You can always put a photo on here & we'll do our best for you. We AREN'T experts, but there's much to be said for a consensus of opinion.

ETA I tried to post some links but just got photos of small bananas called plantains. :lol::lol: Sorry my computer is playing up.:oops::oops:

Grace65
10-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks very much :)
Ive picked the bramble but i havent got a clue what the plantain was. xxx

Grace65
10-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Greater plantain looks lke this
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=plantain weed&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&t

Ribwort plantain looks like this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/assets/organicweeds

They have their seed heads on long stems at present so you can't mistake them for anything else at all.

If you know what you want to find, but don't know what it looks like, try selecting images & google for the plant. BUT some plants can look very similar to non-bunny friendly plants. You can always put a photo on here & we'll do our best for you. We AREN'T experts, but there's much to be said for a consensus of opinion.

ETA :oops::oops::oops: I made the classic mistake of showing images of small banana plantains!!!:lol::lol:

The first pic is of the plantain ive seen in the shops, the second link dosent work for me, i have a lot to learn about weeds. :) xx

thumps_
10-08-2010, 03:56 PM
:oops::oops::oops:
I can't copy the links.

Find google. Select images, & type in Greater plantain weed.
You should get lots of pictures.
Then go back to the beginning but type in Ribwort plantain weed.
You shouldget a set of different pictures

If you can post the links it would be nice for others reading this thread.

ETA the plantain weeds in UK are very safe especially when they've got the flowering & seed heads on long stems. There's nothing alse like them. It's a good time to get to know them.

Grace65
10-08-2010, 03:59 PM
:oops::oops::oops:
I can't copy the links.

Find google. Select images, & type in Greater plantain weed.
You should get lots of pictures.
Then go back to the beginning but type in Ribwort plantain weed.
You shouldget a set of different pictures

If you can post the links it would be nice for others reading this thread.

Its ok sussed it :oops:
Im going to go down to the fields tommorrow to see what i can find :) xx

thumps_
10-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Its ok sussed it :oops:
Im going to go down to the fields tommorrow to see what i can find :) xx
Great. The greater plantain is a low flat plant. You'll see it growing by a path where the grass is short or there isn't any grass. Ribwort plantain is taller, again prefers shorter grass near paths. A graveyard is a good place for finding plantains. No dogs allowed too!

Grace65
10-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Great. The greater plantain is a low flat plant. You'll see it growing by a path where the grass is short or there isn't any grass. Ribwort plantain is taller, again prefers shorter grass near paths. A graveyard is a good place for finding plantains. No dogs allowed too!

Oohh thank you very much. xxx

weedug
10-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Are flowering plantain ok to use? There's loads near me, but they all have the flower stem now.

thumps_
10-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Are flowering plantain ok to use? There's loads near me, but they all have the flower stem now.

Yes, the leaves are fine throughout the year. I'm very cautious & don't give the flowering heads or seeds to my bun. They aren't poisonous, but I don't give any seeds to my bun in case they form a blockage.

There's another plant dock which is much bigger with totally different flowers/seeds. We can give the leaves of dock before flowering but not oncethe flowers have appeared. Were you thinking of that?

weedug
10-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Just remember reading that you shouldn't feed something or other when it has flowers. Thanks for clearing it up as to what it was. Will need to pay more attention next time I read something :roll:

thumps_
10-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Just remember reading that you shouldn't feed something or other when it has flowers. Thanks for clearing it up as to what it was. Will need to pay more attention next time I read something :roll:

:wave: Bless you. It's a new world when you start looking at wild plants, & there's a lot of them out there. It's a lot of information for anyone to take on board, but a life time to get the hang of it. :)

demelza
10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
someone is sayin on a post in diet that myxi can be passed from picking wild stuff for your rabbits.
true or false??

Grace65
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Oh no is this true? think i`ll stick to drying stuff out of the garden then. xx

thumps_
10-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh no is this true? think i`ll stick to drying stuff out of the garden then. xx

It's as rare as hen's teeth, but possible if a wildie bun with myxi has pierced itself on eg a sharp thistle. It's much more likely that a wildie flea in the grass will hitch a lift on you & hop off when you get home. I usually wear welly boots for foraging, but mainly cos we've a lot of roe deer round here & I could get a nasty disease from a deer tick.

I collect away from the wild foraging zones for a different reason. Some wildies have coccidiosis, which can stay viable for a long time in their poops.

If you don't actually see wildies, you can see their runs through the long grass, see where they've eaten the grass back, see territorial markers of poops, & they've almost certainly scoffed all the things you are looking for long ago.

donnamt
10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
someone is sayin on a post in diet that myxi can be passed from picking wild stuff for your rabbits.
true or false??

the bloke i work with was warned about this by his vet... i was still collecting stuff for stes moms buns tho knowing wild buns live there too, i will have to ask him how his vet thinks myxi can be passed on by weeds and stuff :?

donnamt
10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes, the leaves are fine throughout the year. I'm very cautious & don't give the flowering heads or seeds to my bun. They aren't poisonous, but I don't give any seeds to my bun in case they form a blockage.

There's another plant dock which is much bigger with totally different flowers/seeds. We can give the leaves of dock before flowering but not oncethe flowers have appeared. Were you thinking of that?

how do you know if dock has flowered? stes mom give docks to her buns all the time *worried*

thumps_
10-08-2010, 10:28 PM
how do you know if dock has flowered? stes mom give docks to her buns all the time *worried*

I'll try not to get images of bananas!
Dock in flower.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14230388@N03/3535750109/

or http://www.gojamtland.com/flowers/Rumexcrispus_page.htm

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is once they have flowered.
I'll try to find out for you.
Basically once you see docks start to flower in the area, I'd stop collecting it for the buns for that year, & change to something else. There's so much around.

I try to be ultra safe in my advice re. wild plants.
[Thumps only eats the youngest leaves it in desparation after the winter dried stuff, so we don't get as far as the flowering issue :roll:]

ETA I think that Jamtland is what we call Jutland in Denmark. Our docks look the same.

donnamt
10-08-2010, 10:37 PM
ive forwarded the pic to Stes mum by email :)

prettylupin
10-08-2010, 11:20 PM
I'll try not to get images of bananas!
Dock in flower.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14230388@N03/3535750109/

or http://www.gojamtland.com/flowers/Rumexcrispus_page.htm

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is once they have flowered.
I'll try to find out for you.
Basically once you see docks start to flower in the area, I'd stop collecting it for the buns for that year, & change to something else. There's so much around.

I try to be ultra safe in my advice re. wild plants.
[Thumps only eats the youngest leaves it in desparation after the winter dried stuff, so we don't get as far as the flowering issue :roll:]

ETA I think that Jamtland is what we call Jutland in Denmark. Our docks look the same.

According to my book broad-leaved, curled and sorrel dock are all safe to feed throughout the year, however the young leaves in Spring are best, after the dock has seeded the plant's nutritional value decreases. However, dock is also listed in the poisonous section because the seed stems when the seeds are ripe should be avoided this is because they contain a dangerous substance called binoxalate of potash, or salts of lemon and are very poisonous. The advice in the book is to err on the side of caution and avoid dock after the seed stems have appeared. :wave:

thumps_
10-08-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm having difficulty here getting a sound result.
http://www.thebrc.org/diet.htm
Under edible plants it makes no mention of flowering/seeding.

I've looked through several other sites which say they should not be given after seeding. I DO know that they contain tannins & oxalates which generally increase with the age of the plant.
Sorry folks I need to go to the big books in the library.

ETA thanks for comming to the rescue PL.
It's worth remembering that when we feed farmer's hay & remove dock stems.

prettylupin
10-08-2010, 11:31 PM

I've looked through several other sites which say they should not be given after seeding. I DO know that they contain tannins & oxalates which generally increase with the age of the plant.

It's worth remembering that when we feed farmer's hay & remove dock stems

Yep they are in my hay so we always have to remove them. I must admit I do get a bit nervous about the buns eating a seed but so far over the years I have used this hay they have been ok. :)

weedug
11-08-2010, 09:48 AM

It's worth remembering that when we feed farmer's hay & remove dock stems.

It says in the Rabbit Nutrition book (by Virginia Richardson), under poisonous plants, "Docks once the flowers appear as the woody leaves contain oxalic acid which causes renal failure".

thumps_
11-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you so much for your researches pretty lupin & Weedug.

Isn't it difficult to find out the truth sometimes? We have these lists, but I know that some plants are deemed poisonous to rabbits, when they aren't poisonous to rabbits at all, but to another species.

However on the forum I adhere closely to the good lists.

Obviously I like to know what plants contain because they may be fine for a healthy bun, but tip the balance either way in the case of a sick bun, if we feed them in large quantities.
Fortunately my bun has amazing natural instincts for what is good for his conditions. On the other hand he's always had "bunny food", with herbs & wild plants as treats, rather than commercial treats.

I was diverted by a human forage site last night & it was said that humans can eat sow thistles, weed plantains, & fat hen, as well as dandelions. It said that the vitamin & mineral content was higher than shop veg because of no transport, & natural growth in ideal soil conditions for the plant. :shock:
It may account for some of the reason why despite a highly abnormal digestive system my bun looks in reasonable condition.

lildebs
12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
:shock: don't think I'd like dandilions with a coffee :lol:

I have just (finally) found very big bunches of celery with the leaves, my buns go mad for them, but they're so full of leaves, they probably won't get to eat all of them before they're no good.
Can I dry the leaves :wave:

thumps_
12-08-2010, 11:53 PM
:shock: don't think I'd like dandilions with a coffee :lol:

I have just (finally) found very big bunches of celery with the leaves, my buns go mad for them, but they're so full of leaves, they probably won't get to eat all of them before they're no good.
Can I dry the leaves :wave:

I don't know the answer to your question BUT there's a herb called Lovage. It's leaves are a celery flavour substitute in soup & stock. It's HUGE about 5' high. Maybe they'd like that?

lildebs
12-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Oooo I'll go have a google :D :D

lildebs
13-08-2010, 12:03 AM
My OH laughs...when we travel to Southport (every week) we go through the country, I'm looking at trees, and go past the fields with envy, 'wonder what's growing in there the buns can eat' can I just go pick one :lol: .....

at the moment I don't know what they are but they must be at least 3/4ft tall :shock: OH thinks corn.

Then I like to nosey in the farm houses gardens and at the barns to look for hay and bunny set ups :lol::lol:

I'm getting worse :roll::roll:

Dustyrabbit
13-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Fabulous thread!

Can I make a suggestion? I have never tried it but imagine that you could make a good drying area by using cake cooking racks thus allowing a flow of air under the items to be dried. For a larger drying area one could suspend, in some way, a net curtain or mosquito net, perhaps attatching it to a makeshift frame - pegging it to a lie flat garden chair frame perhaps or tieing the corners to tent pegs stuck in the lawn to create a low "hammock" - obviously not when buns are free-ranging :lol:

chelle
13-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Fabulous thread!

Can I make a suggestion? I have never tried it but imagine that you could make a good drying area by using cake cooking racks thus allowing a flow of air under the items to be dried. For a larger drying area one could suspend, in some way, a net curtain or mosquito net, perhaps attatching it to a makeshift frame - pegging it to a lie flat garden chair frame perhaps or tieing the corners to tent pegs stuck in the lawn to create a low "hammock" - obviously not when buns are free-ranging :lol:

yeah! C'mon - go make one up so we can all have a peek!:D
Maybe attach all the herbs to the washing line & put a net over it - then give it a whirl.....:D

VickiP
13-08-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm subscribing to this, can't believe how much stuff I have binned and could have dried out ! I am sure I have oodles of plantain but, I might have to post pics as still unsure whether it's dock or plantain? Brilliant tips, would greaseproof bags be OK for drying out stuff? I know I've seen them in Asda, i think they do paper aswell, will have a look, I know Lakeland would do them.:)

Dustyrabbit
13-08-2010, 12:44 AM
yeah! C'mon - go make one up so we can all have a peek!:D
Maybe attach all the herbs to the washing line & put a net over it - then give it a whirl.....:D

I shouldn't have shared my ideas really - you should have had to wait to see me on Dragons Den! :lol:

Elena
13-08-2010, 02:01 AM
I knew we could eat dandelions too - it was on The Edible Garden - she went foraging for herself. I didn't know about the other stuff though. I wish I knew more about what is edible for humans (and buns). SO much untapped food around!

thumps_
13-08-2010, 02:48 AM
Fabulous thread!

:wave:Dusty rabbit you are a genius. :D The larger method is just what country folk did, but we did it in the attic. Yes it was a simple frame, with about 4" legs, net curtains secured with drawing pins!
The only problem with the hammock is that the leaves all fall on top of each other in the middle & they're far better dried in a single layer.

It was used for pot pouree, herbs for us, even drying fruit after oven drying.

thumps_
13-08-2010, 03:12 AM
I knew we could eat dandelions too - it was on The Edible Garden - she went foraging for herself. I didn't know about the other stuff though. I wish I knew more about what is edible for humans (and buns). SO much untapped food around!

There's so much for humans that you'll recognise. It depends on where you live
Blackberries, cob/hazel nuts, we've got some wild plum trees, & bullace (ancestor of the morello cherry - yummy jam)
I don't recommend "mushrooms" unless you're very good at identification, & know the area, except for puff balls.
You can make apple jelly from crab apples, perhaps flavour with stem ginger, or add loads of chopped mint/rosemary. It makes a lovely mint sauce with vinegar added when it's needed.
Some areas have sweet chestnuts - totally different cases to horse chestnuts. Round here they don't swell properly.
In the town almond trees drop almonds on the pavement. "Rock hard gren plums." there's the stone underneath & the almond inside.
If you go in for home wine making, the sky's the limit with what you can use!

Elena
13-08-2010, 05:27 AM
One of my favourite memories as a child was going mushroom hunting with a friend who was an expert on the subject.

Another one of my favourite memories was going sweet chestnut hunting with my parents!

Blackberry & Co
13-08-2010, 06:45 AM
For drying large amounts I suspend the pop up mesh laundry bags from the top of the greenhouse, or use the mesh toy tidies (they have 3 or 4 layers). The air can circulate, and it's easy to give them a shake to make sure they all dry evenly.

Bungle bunny
13-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Oh No!!! I have got to the end of the thread, I dont think I have ever read one this long from start to finish. Its amazing and I have been waiting to wear my new pick wellies, so I shall be off foraging for England this weekend.

Another question....Can buns eat nuts?

Fluffers
13-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh No!!! I have got to the end of the thread, I dont think I have ever read one this long from start to finish. Its amazing and I have been waiting to wear my new pick wellies, so I shall be off foraging for England this weekend.

They can, will and do but they're not recommended or good for them so I guess in a word, no :lol:

Dustyrabbit
13-08-2010, 12:39 PM
:wave:Dusty rabbit you are a genius. :D The larger method is just what country folk did, but we did it in the attic. Yes it was a simple frame, with about 4" legs, net curtains secured with drawing pins!
The only problem with the hammock is that the leaves all fall on top of each other in the middle & they're far better dried in a single layer.

It was used for pot pouree, herbs for us, even drying fruit after oven drying.

Thanks Thumps! Its nice to be recognised!!:lol: I have a mental picture of the net frame so perhaps I've seen it on TV or perhaps I've been here before ;).

This thread is combining my 2 favorite passtimes RU and www.cottagesmallholder.com

Scheutte - You may find a little book like this useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Free-Collins-Natural-History/dp/0007247680/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281699198&sr=1-2 although it doesn't have pics of every entry it does have a discription. Or this one maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140880185X/ref=pe_41821_21247661_pe_abandon_t1

Bungle bunny
13-08-2010, 12:39 PM
They can, will and do but they're not recommended or good for them so I guess in a word, no :lol:

Thanks, im glad I checked then :wave:

Elena
13-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks Thumps! Its nice to be recognised!!:lol: I have a mental picture of the net frame so perhaps I've seen it on TV or perhaps I've been here before ;).

This thread is combining my 2 favorite passtimes RU and www.cottagesmallholder.com

Scheutte - You may find a little book like this useful http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Free-Collins-Natural-History/dp/0007247680/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281699198&sr=1-2 although it doesn't have pics of every entry it does have a discription. Or this one maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140880185X/ref=pe_41821_21247661_pe_abandon_t1

They look interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the energy to go searching round the countryside anymore, but it is useful to know what I can pick off the allotment for the rabbits.

thumps_
13-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree with NO. There's too many oils in them for a bun to begin to digest, & they upset their gut micro organisms. I think that they can also cause blockages. That was a digression into what's out there for humans that's really nice.

Well done for reading a VERY long thread. We're having fun on here, & fun foraging, feel free to join us!

Dustyrabbit
13-08-2010, 12:46 PM
They look interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the energy to go searching round the countryside anymore, but it is useful to know what I can pick off the allotment for the rabbits.

Ah yes, an allotment is idea - captive nature!

thumps_
13-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Ah yes, an allotment is idea - captive nature!

I don't have an allotment now, but by gaining permission from the individual holders I struck great arrangement with most of them. I could have their sowthistles, (& fat hen for a neighbour with 2 chuckies) & I'd pull up a couple of handfulls of weed neither of us wanted. It's progressed to the leaves from their fruiting shrubs when they're pruned, & there's loads of dandelions, plantains & brambles on the few unused plots.

There are no dogs, & I can quietly check whether they're organic gardeners as I get to know them. It's been lovely to have the smiles, the waves, a chin wag, & enquiries about how my bun is.

chelle
14-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I shouldn't have shared my ideas really - you should have had to wait to see me on Dragons Den! :lol:

:mrgreen::lol::lol::lol:

chelle
14-08-2010, 01:03 AM
I don't have an allotment now, but by gaining permission from the individual holders I struck great arrangement with most of them. I could have their sowthistles, (& fat hen for a neighbour with 2 chuckies) & I'd pull up a couple of handfulls of weed neither of us wanted. It's progressed to the leaves from their fruiting shrubs when they're pruned, & there's loads of dandelions, plantains & brambles on the few unused plots.

There are no dogs, & I can quietly check whether they're organic gardeners as I get to know them. It's been lovely to have the smiles, the waves, a chin wag, & enquiries about how my bun is.

Thats really great! you will get to meet so many more people....and spread your knowledge too!:D

Im getting alot of raised eye-brows & slightly smirky grins as mention what Im doing for my buns.....I had to ask my OH why everyone thinks Im being OTT when if it were another animal - all the attention would be normal? He said its cause you know more than they do & are into it...!:oops::D

BUT I will take that as a compliment I think!:lol::D

(Im gonna tell the vets what im doing with foraging when i see them - :lol: - the receptionist said if she comes back as an animal she want to be my rabbit!:lol:....)

hurricanhoney
14-08-2010, 08:48 AM
You've inspired me to add to my drying plantain. Will hopefully go and raid my garden later and take some piccies. I have loads of chamomile and strawberry leaf. Hope it stops raining.

hurricanhoney
14-08-2010, 10:23 AM
This is what I picked. Some on my walk and some in my garden. The chamomile was grown from seed and if anyone wants to try it, it is really easy to grow and goes mad once started.

Does anyone dry apple rings, what sort of apples would I use and how would you do it?

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z48/hurricanhoney/forage.jpg

Plantain, strawberry leaf, brambles, chamomile. I did find a lovely big blackberry bush on my walk but it backed onto an allotment so couldn't really steal the overhang. :(

Elena
14-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Alys dried apple rings on The Edible Garden. She de-cored them and sliced them and hung them on a stick and hung the stick somewhere dry and warm. Think she did some outside in the sun and some indoors.

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Alys dried apple rings on The Edible Garden. She de-cored them and sliced them and hung them on a stick and hung the stick somewhere dry and warm. Think she did some outside in the sun and some indoors.

Sounds good, but I hate all the wasps that would inevitably be attracted the them......

Elena
14-08-2010, 11:06 AM
That's a point.

thumps_
14-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I wish I could do this sooooo much.
The method my Gran use involved soaking the prepared fruit in water with saltpeter & cooking salt for a short time, to stop them going deep brown & rotting, & oven drying. I've never been able to find the recipe.

I suspect that it isn't reliably hot enough in UK to do it outdoors.
You really do need a home made drying rack with netting over, for this one.
Not only apples, but pears, apricots & peaches too. NOT suitable for rabbits really.

Amy.
14-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I keep meaning to go bramble hunting again as all my others are dry so I have room now for more :D I'm going to force myself to go soon, but I'm feeling lazy atm :lol: I need to take pics of my store soon too.

Anyone know if Yarrow will dry okay? We have some in the garden and there's lots down at the stables. I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread.
Ooh and Milk/ Sow Thistle. Can the buns eat the purple heads on Milk Thistle? I'm assuming I could dry some of the leaves, but maybe not the whole plant?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :D I think this thread has turned me into a devout plant hunter :lol:

prettylupin
14-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I keep meaning to go bramble hunting again as all my others are dry so I have room now for more :D I'm going to force myself to go soon, but I'm feeling lazy atm :lol: I need to take pics of my store soon too.

Anyone know if Yarrow will dry okay? We have some in the garden and there's lots down at the stables. I don't think it's been mentioned on this thread.
Ooh and Milk/ Sow Thistle. Can the buns eat the purple heads on Milk Thistle? I'm assuming I could dry some of the leaves, but maybe not the whole plant?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :D I think this thread has turned me into a devout plant hunter :lol:

Yarrow is safe and as quite tough - just try and snap the stem! :shock: it should dry well - no idea as never tried though!

Sow and milk thistle are pretty much the same things, they are quite full of sap though so drying without going too limp and rotten will be an experimentation - again not tried to dry these.

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Just come back from todays bramble ramble - got brambles, hawthorn and vetch!!!! Plus some blackberries for us humans :lol:

Elena
14-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I think thumps has tried to dry sow thistle as it keeps Thumper going but hasn't had any success. If the rain holds off I might try and get some brambles from the allotment.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I have just picked a huge amount of brambles today.. but nowhere to dry any... any recommendations?

Grace65
14-08-2010, 03:32 PM
I really wish i knew my weeds :roll: im not knowledegable enough so darent collect any, all i have managed to dry is bramble out of my garden but i do have my eye on some rose petals next door one has got falling.

all i need now is to pluck up the courage to knock the door and ask if i can have them :oops: xxx

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I have just picked a huge amount of brambles today.. but nowhere to dry any... any recommendations?

How about those mesh nets that you can hang up to put kids toys in? I use those for drying when I've run out of other surfaces.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 04:02 PM
How about those mesh nets that you can hang up to put kids toys in? I use those for drying when I've run out of other surfaces.

How long do they take to dry? I have three trays on my kitchen side, but can see they will become a problem when I need to be cooking :lol: I have some garden netting.. but nowhere to put it!

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 04:06 PM
How long do they take to dry? I have three trays on my kitchen side, but can see they will become a problem when I need to be cooking :lol: I have some garden netting.. but nowhere to put it!

On a hot sunny day brambles can dry in a few hours. Takes longer if it's not sunny, tho, maybe a few days.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 04:08 PM
On a hot sunny day brambles can dry in a few hours. Takes longer if it's not sunny, tho, maybe a few days.

Sorry about the questions - bit of a novice.. have been picking brambles but just feeding all the fresh ones to the bunnies till they are gone...

As I assume we have no more sunny days :roll: will they dry in the house.. just on trays.. a few leaves deep? If I hang in netting can they just be a ball of leaves in the netting or do I need to keep the netting flat? Would a shed be better than the house?

Elena
14-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I was thinking last night... I wonder if leaves sandwiched between pieces of kitchen roll and then a book on top and put in the airing cupboard would dry them out. We're a bit short on space in the airing cupboard so I can't just lay them out.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 04:13 PM
I was thinking last night... I wonder if leaves sandwiched between pieces of kitchen roll and then a book on top and put in the airing cupboard would dry them out. We're a bit short on space in the airing cupboard so I can't just lay them out.

Or in newspaper?

ETA: I dont even have an airing cupboard :roll::lol:

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Sorry about the questions - bit of a novice.. have been picking brambles but just feeding all the fresh ones to the bunnies till they are gone...

As I assume we have no more sunny days :roll: will they dry in the house.. just on trays.. a few leaves deep? If I hang in netting can they just be a ball of leaves in the netting or do I need to keep the netting flat? Would a shed be better than the house?

I give the netting a shake every so often to rotate the leaves. I'm sure they would dry inside the house on trays.

You can dry things in the oven, but I've never tried it. I think it's just a very low heat for a few hours :?

Elena
14-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Or in newspaper?

ETA: I dont even have an airing cupboard :roll::lol:

Oh dear! @ no airing cupboard.

Newspaper is an idea! We never get free newspapers any more :? and we don't buy them. I might ask the neighbours.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh dear! @ no airing cupboard.

Newspaper is an idea! We never get free newspapers any more :? and we don't buy them. I might ask the neighbours.

Bonus of working in an Estate Agents.. we get all the property papers in... and I nab them all for the bunnies :lol::lol::lol:

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Well I have just decided to try the oven method!

Put them on trays - electric fan oven on 60... is that ok? How long shall I "cook" them for :lol:

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:08 PM
They'll dry out fine between a couple of layers of kitchen/toilet roll stacked up as long as they aren't juicy like dandelions. They also dry out fine between sheets of newspaper stacked up as long as there is no "glossy surface". You've plenty of time for brambles yet.

They'll dry out fast in a tumble dryer on low/ several goes at 5-10 mins. so they don't overheat. Final dry to crisp on rack overnight.

The kitchen may be too humid for them to dry. The air needs to be dry, with slight air movement.

My wooden shed was fine after a couple of weeks of hot dry weather because the wood had dried out on both sides, but when it's rained a fair bit the wood gets moist again, it's not only too humid for drying but the moisture encourages mildew. I've put ventilation in the shed to encourage warm moist air out. It's just 2 right angled plastic pipes at the apex, turned down to keep rain out.
A metal shed would need similar venting for wet weather.

But we're coming into weather conditions of temp drop at night causing moist air. I'm doing my drying indoors after several days of a lot of rain.

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Well I have just decided to try the oven method!

Put them on trays - electric fan oven on 60... is that ok? How long shall I "cook" them for :lol:

I'd get the oven up to 60 put them in fast & then turn it off. See what they're like in 3/4 hour.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 06:13 PM
They'll dry out fine between a couple of layers of kitchen/toilet roll stacked up as long as they aren't juicy like dandelions. They also dry out fine between sheets of newspaper stacked up as long as there is no "glossy surface". You've plenty of time for brambles yet.

They'll dry out fast in a tumble dryer on low/ several goes at 5-10 mins. so they don't overheat. Final dry to crisp on rack overnight.

The kitchen may be too humid for them to dry. The air needs to be dry, with slight air movement.

My wooden shed was fine after a couple of weeks of hot dry weather because the wood had dried out on both sides, but when it's rained a fair bit the wood gets moist again, it's not only too humid for drying but the moisture encourages mildew. I've put ventilation in the shed to encourage warm moist air out. It's just 2 right angled plastic pipes at the apex, turned down to keep rain out.
A metal shed would need similar venting for wet weather.

But we're coming into weather conditions of temp drop at night causing moist air. I'm doing my drying indoors after several days of a lot of rain.

How long have we got to grab all the brambles?? :lol::lol: When do they die ?

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 06:15 PM
How long have we got to grab all the brambles?? :lol::lol: When do they die ?

The ones round our way are not so nice now, but we've had very little rain. Guess it depends on your area/weather.

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 06:16 PM
How many leaves to you give your buns? Every day? I dont think I have enough to last me a week into winter yet!

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I really wish i knew my weeds :roll: im not knowledegable enough so darent collect any, all i have managed to dry is bramble out of my garden but i do have my eye on some rose petals next door one has got falling.

all i need now is to pluck up the courage to knock the door and ask if i can have them :oops: xxx

Why don't you start with greater lantain & ribwort plantain? they've got their seed heads on now, & you honestly can't mistake them for anything else. If you post a photo we'll make extra sure for you. I'd try a small amount 1st, & make sure your buns like it!!!

Grace65
14-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Why don't you start with greater lantain & ribwort plantain? they've got their seed heads on now, & you honestly can't mistake them for anything else. If you post a photo we'll make extra sure for you. I'd try a small amount 1st, & make sure your buns like it!!!

I went across the fields then backed out, scared of myxi or worse still giving them poisonous plants, i really do need to read and understand weeds. xxx

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:25 PM
How many leaves to you give your buns? Every day? I dont think I have enough to last me a week into winter yet!

If your bunnies have normal tummies, & don't have stasis - don't worry - it's a bit of fun to give them a treat!

The drought has brought Autumn about 6 weeks earlier this year. Last year there were still green leaves on brambles growing near a stream in late Nov.
To my amazement those growing in a copse (shelter) near a stream kept their leaves throughout winter. They keep their leaves better if they are NORTH facing with shelter behind too, but don't give many blackberries.

How many, depends on why you are giving them. Just a few for a treat. My bun has serious slow gut issues (dwindling nerve supply) He'll eat 1/2 bowl full. :shock: but it keeps him out of stasis. :D

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 06:27 PM
If your bunnies have normal tummies, & don't have stasis - don't worry - it's a bit of fun to give them a treat!

The drought has brought Autumn about 6 weeks earlier this year. Last year there were still green leaves on brambles growing near a stream in late Nov.
To my amazement those growing in a copse (shelter) near a stream kept their leaves throughout winter. They keep their leaves better if they are NORTH facing with shelter behind too, but don't give many blackberries.

You know too much!!

I will just get as many as I can and use as a treat.. I really believe the brambles turned Twinkle's stasis recovery around.... it was the day after I gave her brambles for the first time that I started to see a big improvement in her...

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:33 PM
You know too much!!

I will just get as many as I can and use as a treat.. I really believe the brambles turned Twinkle's stasis recovery around.... it was the day after I gave her brambles for the first time that I started to see a big improvement in her...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: No I don't. I've been desperate to keep my bun alive.
I'm an oldie, no fridges or vet care for pets when I was a child. Brambles were the old fashioned treatment- all we had, to help gut slow down in buns. I've plenty to learn from you guys, & even learned loads from my rabbit!!:lol::lol::lol:

thumps_
14-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I went across the fields then backed out, scared of myxi or worse still giving them poisonous plants, i really do need to read and understand weeds. xxx

I can't understand how they get myxi for the simple reason that where there are wildies, you don't get the plants you want cos they scoff the lot before they can grow to any size!!
Guess I'll have to take photos of where the wildies eat in a lane near here to show the changes!
Not now though. I got caught in a cloud burst getting food for my bun. A river flowed down the lane above my shoes & even my undies were soaked!:lol::lol:

Grace65
14-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I can't understand how they get myxi for the simple reason that where there are wildies, you don't get the plants you want cos they scoff the lot before they can grow to any size!!
Guess I'll have to take photos of where the wildies eat in a lane near here to show the changes!
Not now though. I got caught in a cloud burst getting food for my bun. A river flowed down the lane above my shoes & even my undies were soaked!:lol::lol:

Oh no theres nothing worse than wet knickers :oops:
How we love our buns to do all of this, i may try again next week in the meantime im going to try and print off some photos so i can try and identify whats food and what isnt.

Im really enjoying this thread its really interesting :) xx

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Pics of what I've foraged yesterday and today....

Lots of rose petals and leaves
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010011.jpg

Apple leaves
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010009.jpg

Raspberry canes and leaves
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010014.jpg

More rose petals and leaves
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010013.jpg

Apple twigs
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010016.jpg

Vetch & Dandelions (not for drying as they're tonights supper for the buns and pigs)
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010003.jpg

Blackberries for the humans (it's funny how so many look red in a photo when they are nearly all black...)
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010005.jpg

And my little stock of bagged up dried stuff....
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010018.jpg

Grace65
14-08-2010, 07:08 PM

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010011.jpg

Apple leaves
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010009.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010014.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010013.jpg

Apple twigs
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010016.jpg

Vetch & Dandelions (not for drying as they're tonights supper for the buns and pigs)
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010003.jpg

Blackberries for the humans (it's funny how so many look red in a photo when they are nearly all black...)
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010005.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy6/BlackberryBunny/Forage%20Photos/foragepicsaugust2010018.jpg

Wow that is very impressive.
where do you get raspberry canes from? xx

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Apple leaves

Apple twigs

Oh you annoy me being so organised :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow that is very impressive.
where do you get raspberry canes from? xx

There's a patch of them growing in amongst the brambles on the heathland behind us, although a few have now re-homed themselves in the back garden :oops::oops::oops:

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh you annoy me being so organised :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not that organised - I've run out of brown bags :lol::lol::lol:

fluffiebunnie
14-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Not that organised - I've run out of brown bags :lol::lol::lol:

I was thinking of getting a newspaper sheet and stapling it to make bags....

Grace65
14-08-2010, 07:21 PM
There's a patch of them growing in amongst the brambles on the heathland behind us, although a few have now re-homed themselves in the back garden :oops::oops::oops:

Ok will now try and find photos of raspberry canes :) xx

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I was thinking of getting a newspaper sheet and stapling it to make bags....

The guinea pigs have all our newspapers in the bottom of their house, but what a great idea! I also recycle pharmacy bags when I pick up my sisters prescriptions!

TeflonsShadow
14-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Its not fair!! Ive stolen all the dandilions from my mums garden and dried those, and some grass.... a bit of lavender and thats all I have access too.... there isnt much greenery around here! I am deperate for some bramble leaves! :( Anyone willing to sell me some??

Blackberry & Co
14-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Its not fair!! Ive stolen all the dandilions from my mums garden and dried those, and some grass.... a bit of lavender and thats all I have access too.... there isnt much greenery around here! I am deperate for some bramble leaves! :( Anyone willing to sell me some??

PM me your address, and when I'm next out picking I'll get you some (but you'll have to de-prickle them yourself ;))

thumps_
14-08-2010, 08:01 PM

If you want to come over here for an afternoon, There's brambles coming out of our ears, I'll show you where the common things grow, & some of the poisonous things etc. I've a fair few apple leaves + twigs on the stump of my tree. Thumps won't eat them. With 2 of us collecting we'll make a good start. Brambles, pineapple mayweed, unscented mayweed, both types of plantains. I'll have to check the downs for wild Thyme.

TeflonsShadow
14-08-2010, 08:03 PM
If you want to come over here for an afternoon, There's brambles coming out of our ears, I'll show you where the common things grow, & some of the poisonous things etc. I've a fair few apple leaves + twigs on the stump of my tree. Thumps won't eat them. With 2 of us collecting we'll make a good start. Brambles, pineapple mayweed, unscented mayweed, both types of plantains. I'll have to check the downs for wild Thyme.

Oooh, that sounds like fun!

thumps_
14-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Oooh, that sounds like fun!

I'll give you a warning that I'm nearly 60, & a scarecrow is better dressed!!:lol: but it'll get you going with the buns food.

TeflonsShadow
14-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I'll give you a warning that I'm nearly 60, & a scarecrow is better dressed!!:lol: but it'll get you going with the buns food.

You dont kill them and put them in pies do you? :(

thumps_
14-08-2010, 09:24 PM
You dont kill them and put them in pies do you? :(

As if I could. I meant food FOR the buns.
I watch the wildies like bird watching - it's a lot easier!!! I don't think I've ever eaten rabbit & don't want to. I think I'd be physically sick.

I don't eat much meat of any kind - & the small amount I do, is from farms where they keep the domestic animals naturally - eg pigs live in huts in fields, & hens scratch around the farm yard & hedge rows!

HoppingBinky
14-08-2010, 09:33 PM

If it helps at all i have access to bramble leaves, raspberry leaves, strawberry leaves and herbs. If you want any just pm me also.;)

lildebs
14-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Been to my mother in laws tonight, noticed a large sow - thistle growing amongst the rosebush....so I've helped myself :lol::lol: :lol:can buns eat the wood part of the rose branches? :lol:
Bella was iffy with the petals but Oscar will eat anything in front of him :roll:

TeflonsShadow
14-08-2010, 10:04 PM
When I said 'them' .... I meant hoomans! Lol! I am not scared of people (what am I saying.... yes I am!!) unless you are going to eats me!! Lol

hurricanhoney
15-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm so excited I have just been out with the dog and found a very large wild blackberry bush, pink flowers with smaller leaves and small blackberries. I've run out of paper bags, where does every one else get theirs from. I have recycled my last lot from stuff being sent through to me.

Blackberry & Co
15-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm so excited I have just been out with the dog and found a very large wild blackberry bush, pink flowers with smaller leaves and small blackberries. I've run out of paper bags, where does every one else get theirs from. I have recycled my last lot from stuff being sent through to me.

I bough some great ones off ebay (search 'large brown paper bag') - they have the wide bottoms that open out so's you can stand them up neatly :D

thumps_
15-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I bough some great ones off ebay (search 'large brown paper bag') - they have the wide bottoms that open out so's you can stand them up neatly :D

Those bags look ideal Blackberry&Co - the best storage solution I've seen.

If there should be an accident & a bag full go mouldy, you only lose a small amount not days worth of work.

Yes I've made bags with gussets at the bottom from newspapers in the past, but this is the simpler solution.

chelle
16-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Does all the dried herbs have to be introduced as slowly as if they were fresh?:?

So no mixed handfuls until they have all been introduced one by one?

I know it should be obvious - just wanna check!

Ive picked osme more parsley thats drying in the airing cupboard!
Wow - lool at you guys & all thats forgeing!

im waiting to set a date with my sistyer to do the blackberrys - cant wait!:D

Bit confused too - we can pick the ribwort plantain when its flowers? Just the leaves?

Also -whats that plant thats looks abit purpley? Ive keep finding bits in my hay?
Will try take apic if no one get what Im saying....:shock::)

And Lavender...can we dry the leaves & flowers?
Should this be fed a little now & then? i read somewhere its not good in large quantities for some reason?

thank you all you clever peoples!:love:

Blackberry & Co
16-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't know all the answers, but personally I introduce new foods one at a time, just in case one causes belly ache - that way you can identify the culprit and avoid it in future :)

Haven't tried lavander myself - again it's quite strong, so I haven't wanted to tempt fate with it.....

prettylupin
16-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Does all the dried herbs have to be introduced as slowly as if they were fresh?:?

To be on the safe side yes, although I personally have never had any problems wild wild plants/weeds as most tend to be astringent in property

As above.

Bit confused too - we can pick the ribwort plantain when its flowers? Just the leaves?
The entire plant of ribwort or greater leaved plantain is safe to feed, seed heads and all, it's just that the seed heads contain higher levels of protein so if your bun receives a pellet mix ration then you may want to restrict the plantain feeding to just the leaves. Mine love the seed heads and I feed the whole plant.

Also -whats that plant thats looks abit purpley? Ive keep finding bits in my hay?
Will try take apic if no one get what Im saying....:shock::)

I think a picture would be helpful so as not to advise you incorrectly! ;)

Should this be fed a little now & then? i read somewhere its not good in large quantities for some reason?
Yes you can dry the whole of the lavender plant. I'm not aware of any restrictions on the amounts fed.

Hope that helps :)

chelle
16-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Thank you so much ! Wow - so informative! :DIm so excited baout adding more ot my collection - ive also strated to run out of brown bags - they were my sister too-! :shock:

Ill try take a pic of this purple plant i keep seeing - I drive about & see them in fields and on the roadside..so will have to stop!....can tfind any in the hay now I need to !:roll::lol:

Dustyrabbit
16-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Also -whats that plant thats looks abit purpley? Ive keep finding bits in my hay?Will try take apic if no one get what Im saying....:shock::)

I had lots of small, dried, pea pod type things in my hay recently, I took it back and they changed it for me but the lady said she thought it was Lucerne (Alfalfa) which has a purple flower. I don't know if this is what was or not so I changed it to be on the safe side, I was worried it had fallen from a tree.

Dustyrabbit
16-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Whilst out with some friends we saw a field of blue/lavender we puzzled over what it was then later one of the friends sent me this

ps the lilac crop we saw in the field was blue linseed flowers,which blooms once a day and closes in the evening,which will eventually produce linseed oil and as well as helping preserve cricket bats is rich in omega -3.the fatty acid is believed to benefit skin and also helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels,blood pressure and boost the immune system.

We don't have much in our lives :lol:

thumps_
16-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I had lots of small, dried, pea pod type things in my hay recently, I took it back and they changed it for me but the lady said she thought it was Lucerne (Alfalfa) which has a purple flower. I don't know if this is what was or not so I changed it to be on the safe side, I was worried it had fallen from a tree.

I suspect it's more likely to be one of the vetches. Alfalfa has rounded seeds. Vetch is common in UK & was once used as a fodder plant.

Yes I've been fooled by a flax field. It started to be grown again about 15 years ago round here. From a distance I thought a massive lake had suddenly appeared - on chalk :shock::shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dustyrabbit
16-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I suspect it's more likely to be one of the vetches. Alfalfa has rounded seeds. Vetch is common in UK & was once used as a fodder plant.

Yes I've been fooled by a flax field. It started to be grown again about 15 years ago round here. From a distance I thought a massive lake had suddenly appeared - on chalk :shock::shock: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah maybe Vetch then - I wasn't convinced the woman was right, she did keep some of my samples to check. The two old chaps who do the "carry to the car service" (they are both old country chaps) had a good look, the glasses went on and there was much mulling over but they couldn't identify it. The stems must have been pretty fine as I couldn't find them among the hay only the "pods".

Is that what Flax is then, Blue Linseed?

Blackberry & Co
16-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Our buns and piggies like vetch. It's like a small sweet pea-ish flower, and the pods are like mini pea pods, about 1" long. We've just gathered a load of pods to sow for growing our own vetch.:)

Dustyrabbit
16-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Our buns and piggies like vetch. It's like a small sweet pea-ish flower, and the pods are like mini pea pods, about 1" long. We've just gathered a load of pods to sow for growing our own vetch.:)

That sounds like the stuff - I was worried it may have dropped from a tree, as I couldn't find stems, like a Vibernum or is it Laburnum with the yellow flower then pea type pods.

Blackberry & Co
16-08-2010, 04:49 PM
That sounds like the stuff - I was worried it may have dropped from a tree, as I couldn't find stems, like a Vibernum or is it Laburnum with the yellow flower then pea type pods.

Laburnum's much bigger - vetch is very small, and grows up from the ground, tangling itself into anything that gets in its way :lol:

lilbun
16-08-2010, 10:32 PM
I've been picking the vetch seeds out of my baled hay and scattering them in the garden in the hope that they'll sprout- they are so pretty :love:

thumps_
16-08-2010, 10:51 PM
I've been picking the vetch seeds out of my baled hay and scattering them in the garden in the hope that they'll sprout- they are so pretty :love:

Good for you. I agree. I can't remember all the different ones off the top of my head but there's one with lots of flowers on the spike. I think it's as pretty as any cultivated plant. Then we've the meadow cranesbill which buns can eat. It's got a dusky blue flower, & is a hardy perennial (the garden centers sell pink ones). Thank you Lilbun, at last I know what to do with my impossible garden.:D:D:D

Blackberry & Co
18-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, my boys have had a few hawthorn leaves over the past few days, and Clo & Blackie's poops have improved greatly! They were already having bramble leaves, but I plucked up the courage to try them on hawthorn, which they all love, thanks to this thread :D.

thumps_
18-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Well, my boys have had a few hawthorn leaves over the past few days, and Clo & Blackie's poops have improved greatly! They were already having bramble leaves, but I plucked up the courage to try them on hawthorn, which they all love, thanks to this thread :D.

Thank you so much for this post.
I went down this wild diet path because my bun has serious gut issues & he showed me what was good for his gut/sludge issues.
Hawthorn leaves are his preferred fiber in spring/summer. I'm fascinated to hear of your experience.
In fact, Thumper isn't too keen on brambles unless there's no alternative although brambles & raspberry are recommended to improve poops. However country folk used to use young hawthorn leaves like lettuce in cheese sandwiches many years ago. I checked they were OK for buns, but this is the 1st. I've heard of other buns having improved GI function with them.

Fluffers
18-08-2010, 09:28 PM
How the bloomin eck do you get leaves off Hawthorn? :shock::shock:

Have you fingers like a colander?! :lol:

Blackberry & Co
18-08-2010, 09:37 PM
How the bloomin eck do you get leaves off Hawthorn? :shock::shock:

Have you fingers like a colander?! :lol:

Have to admit the thorns scared me when I saw the size of them :shock:

But I only drew blood once :lol:

Blackberry & Co
18-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Thank you so much for this post.
I went down this wild diet path because my bun has serious gut issues & he showed me what was good for his gut/sludge issues.
Hawthorn leaves are his preferred fiber in spring/summer. I'm fascinated to hear of your experience.
In fact, Thumper isn't too keen on brambles unless there's no alternative although brambles & raspberry are recommended to improve poops. However country folk used to use young hawthorn leaves like lettuce in cheese sandwiches many years ago. I checked they were OK for buns, but this is the 1st. I've heard of other buns having improved GI function with them.

I couldn't believe how much bigger Clo's poops were today - almost the same size as Dan's! And that's the only thing that's changed in his diet :)

ETA: I used to pick hawthorn leaves off the trees when I was little and eat them :oops:

thumps_
18-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I couldn't believe how much bigger Clo's poops were today - almost the same size as Dan's! And that's the only thing that's changed in his diet :)

ETA: I used to pick hawthorn leaves off the trees when I was little and eat them :oops:

:oops::oops: I still do eat them :oops::oops:.
I'm also known to shin up a tree for some leaves for Thumps aged 58 :oops: but I'm not the oldest tree climber by far - my Dad shinned up his apricot tree in his late 70's!:lol::lol::lol:

Fluffers, If you look around a bit, you'll find that some hawthorn bushes are thornier than others. There are quite a few round here with very few thorns at all.;)

Fluffers
18-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Fluffers, If you look around a bit, you'll find that some hawthorn bushes are thornier than others. There are quite a few round here with very few thorns at all.;)

Right'o' - I'm on the case ;)

HoppingBinky
18-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Hawthorn are they the big bushes with little red berrys on that the birds eat in winter?:oops:. Not sure wich ones they are thats all.:D

Fluffers
18-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Hawthorn are they the big bushes with little red berrys on that the birds eat in winter?:oops:. Not sure wich ones they are thats all.:D

Yes :D

HoppingBinky
18-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks Fluffers i just wanted to double check.;)

clutterydrawer
18-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Umm....there are a LOT of different red berried bushes that birds eat from! Look up some pics of hawthorn leaves on google or in a book to be sure :)

thumps_
19-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Umm....there are a LOT of different red berried bushes that birds eat from! Look up some pics of hawthorn leaves on google or in a book to be sure :)

I agree with clutterydrawer. you could also take a good pic & post it on here. Nice to have the bush as a whole, & close up of twig with leaves + berries.

happybunny22000
19-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I have raped my mums garden of the rose petals :oops: I figure with her not living here at the mo, she wouldnt notice.

I'm going nettle picking tonight and bramble picking.

Do I just put them in a wicker basket like that to dry out?

I'm also resricted, what else can they eat so I can make little mixtures?

hurricanhoney
19-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I have raped my mums garden of the rose petals :oops: I figure with her not living here at the mo, she wouldnt notice.

I put mine in paper bags and dry them hanging outside the airing cupboard but there are loads of different methods. I've been drying strawberry leaf, chamomile and plantain. Will be going out at the weekend for some brambles. Have fun. :wave:

chelle
19-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Theres a few ways to dry things out- i tie mine in bunches & hang them off a hanger in the airing cupboard, i also have a cardboard box which i put in there too & just toss the bits everyday!:D

This is soo exciting! I also have no rose petals on my roses!:lol: BUT I have prunted them all and more are on their way!
Ive tried rose petals & rose leaves with my buns - they adored them & were scrambling for more!

Ive so far dried:

Dried quite quick:
Lemon balm
Rosemary
Strawberry leaves
Rose petals (dry naturally or place on a paper towel & pop into the microwave for 1 minute!)
Rose leaves

Takes abit longer to dry:
Flat leaf parsley
Basil
Carrot tops

Trying to dry Lavender at the moment....

have yet to go get brambles & nettles!:shock:
Get that cream ready for stings & gloved up!:D

I need a bigger airing cupboard!:lol:

happybunny22000
20-08-2010, 07:48 AM
I Have:
Rose Petals
Brambles
Nettles
Mint

Going to try:
Rose Leaves
Lavender
Rosemary

Can you dry fruit? Like blackberrys?

Blackberry & Co
20-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I Have:
Rose Petals
Brambles
Nettles
Mint

Going to try:
Rose Leaves
Lavender
Rosemary

Can you dry fruit? Like blackberrys?

Personally I'm not drying fruit because of the high sugars, my buns don't get any fruit as it turns their poops to squish. You can dry strawberries and other small fruits, so in theory you can dry blackberries too.

thumps_
20-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Yes I agree with Blackberry& Co here. The sugars in fruit always give my bun stinking unformed caecs & then he gets stasis. They mess up the miroorganisms in his bowel.
Dried fruit would have a very high sugar content indeed. I wouldn't recommend it for buns, only humans.

happybunny22000
20-08-2010, 11:21 AM
but fresh in small quantities is ok?
i could freeze them...

Elena
20-08-2010, 11:55 AM
It does the same to my Mini. She only gets a tiny piece of banana or apple very infrequently. I'd rather give them fresh weeds as a treat.

lildebs
20-08-2010, 12:47 PM
How is everybun drying nettles, something I haven't yet tried but there's loads on the field behind me. But I don't have an airing cupboard thats warm.

Mazda
20-08-2010, 12:49 PM
How is everybun drying nettles, something I haven't yet tried but there's loads on the field behind me. But I don't have an airing cupboard thats warm.

ive got stuff drying in the shed... it gets pretty warm.x

thumps_
20-08-2010, 12:59 PM
ive got stuff drying in the shed... it gets pretty warm.x

I use shed & attic as well as every surface in the house.:oops:
Don't want to tread on nettles though They still sting!!!
It's very humid here which delays drying. Also the temp drops a lot at night so enclosed spaces tend to get condensation & white mildew on plants. I open up the shed every evening to stop condensation.

happybunny22000
20-08-2010, 01:03 PM
mine are in small cardboard boxes on the windowsill

Shellypops
20-08-2010, 01:28 PM
are thes the right Hawthorn leaves
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/142/318151659_fe13d5c5de.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2509239674_1d5f58b1d2.jpg?v=0

because when I googled the above came up too, and that looks different, I am confused

thumps_
20-08-2010, 01:47 PM
:wave:The top one is definitely Hawthorn.:):)

The bottom one doesn't show a whole leaf cluster, it could be a few things & pure guess work on my part. It's definitely NOT hawthorn. Perhaps Google plants has got brain failure with everyone googling brambles?:?

Shellypops
20-08-2010, 01:49 PM
:wave:The top one is definitely Hawthorn.:):)

The bottom one doesn't show a whole leaf cluster, it could be a few things & pure guess work on my part. It's definitely NOT hawthorn. Perhaps Google plants has got brain failure with everyone googling brambles?:?

Cool yes it looks a little brambleish doesn't it? It did say young Hawthorn though so :?

thumps_
20-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Cool yes it looks a little brambleish doesn't it? It did say young Hawthorn though so :?

No way is it hawthorn at any stage. Possibly hazel, elm, bramble leaves come in pairs apart from the one at the top. That pic has got the wrong label. Don't worry about it.

Shellypops
20-08-2010, 02:35 PM
No way is it hawthorn at any stage. Possibly hazel, elm, bramble leaves come in pairs apart from the one at the top. That pic has got the wrong label. Don't worry about it.

Is Hazel safe? It looks nice :D

clutterydrawer
20-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Is Hazel safe? It looks nice :D

Hazel is fine, the twigs are good for gnawing. The second pic you posted does look like hazel but get some more pics for ID aswell....the wood is pale brown and sort of speckly.

weedug
20-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Is cork screw hazel OK? I've got a cork screw hazel in my garden that we need to take out soon, so there would be lots of nice branches for the buns.

hurricanhoney
21-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Went on a bramble ramble today with mum and the dog. Got loads will go again next weekend. Saw what I thought was hawthorn but wasn't sure so will get a guide book for next time. There was plenty of milk thistle as well which I will get next time too.

Blackberry & Co
21-08-2010, 02:50 PM
It was raining here, so I thought I would have a nice peaceful bramble ramble - but everybody was out! I was the only one picking bramble leaves tho :lol:, the rest were all dog walking.

thumps_
21-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Is cork screw hazel OK? I've got a cork screw hazel in my garden that we need to take out soon, so there would be lots of nice branches for the buns.

I was hoping that clutterydrawer would reply to this, because she's an expert on trees.
As far as I know corkscrew/twisted hazel is just a variant of ordinary hazel, with twisted branch growth, & they can cross pollinate. For all intents & purposes the same tree.

!!!Please come to the rescue Cluttery drawer. Consultant opinion needed!!!

clutterydrawer
21-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I was hoping that clutterydrawer would reply to this, because she's an expert on trees.
As far as I know corkscrew/twisted hazel is just a variant of ordinary hazel, with twisted branch growth, & they can cross pollinate. For all intents & purposes the same tree.

!!!Please come to the rescue Cluttery drawer. Consultant opinion needed!!!

Hiya :lol:

I wouldn't say I'm a tree expert but I do have some experience from working in horticulture :)

I can't see any reason why corkscrew hazel wouldn't be ok for buns.

Ordinary hazel is Corylus avellana, corkscrew hazel is Corylus avellana 'Contorta' - so it's just a sport of the same species. I would happily feed it to my own rabbits :)

leong
21-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Not read the whole thread yet so if it's mentioned earlier please accept my apologies.

Try these,

Fennel stick munchies.

If your fennel is flowering (it should be now), cut the top 2 or 3 sections of stem from each plant, give the flowers to your bun. Dry the stems in the oven, low heat for a couple of hours or blast in the microwave for between 1:30-2 mins (based on a 900w oven). Store in a paper bag in a cool dry place and these will keep over winter.

I'll stick a post up shortly showing what we do with our Stockli dehydrator once i've got some pics.

lildebs
21-08-2010, 10:09 PM
:http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/lildebs_2009/101_0110.jpg

Bella and Oscar literally ravished the Hawthorn!!

lilbun
21-08-2010, 10:49 PM
Not read the whole thread yet so if it's mentioned earlier please accept my apologies.

Try these,

Fennel stick munchies.

If your fennel is flowering (it should be now), cut the top 2 or 3 sections of stem from each plant, give the flowers to your bun. Dry the stems in the oven, low heat for a couple of hours or blast in the microwave for between 1:30-2 mins (based on a 900w oven). Store in a paper bag in a cool dry place and these will keep over winter.

I'll stick a post up shortly showing what we do with our Stockli dehydrator once i've got some pics.

My rabbits adore fennel- unfortunately I don't think the clump I have found growing locally will last them longer- I am definitely going to plant some next year though xx