• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the carpet is ruined!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
the whole carpet is a mess, and it smells! should i try and clean it thoroughly (any ideas how??) or just replace it?? it's only a small lounge so i'm thinking maybe the cost of cleaning it would be near enough the same as replacing it anyway?? and i could sweet talk my dad or brothers to put it down for me! :lol: just worried all the wee bisc did all over the place when he was ill might have soaked right through and into the underlay aswell.. :roll:

any ideas for a good cleaner??

You can get 1001 in a can that has a scrub brush on the end of it for spot stains, or rent a rug doctor - I've used one in the past and it was brill :D

Have you got a hire centre nearby? they do some fantastic industrial ones i borrowed one when we moved here until we could get laminate done :) xxx

I know that morrisons used to hire out the rug doctor, was really good.
Could check if they still do?

Pull up the carpet....take a look at what you have under it.Clean or even sand,depending on what, and get a gorgous rug!! Or laminate and get a gorgous rug!!

we don't have much money spare so going to try the 1001 no vac pet first, buy a new hoover, a pet one, and see what it's like after.

the landlady wants carpet (she doesn't know about the pets :oops:) so when we leave we are replacing it anyway, so can't really afford to keep replacing it alot... i was ok with it being a mess but now it really smells and it's making me heave a bit :oops:

will see how this goes... we have the house inspection in less than two months and i think it's going to be really obv the pet smell this time.. :oops: can't wait to move somewhere that knows about the pets and allows them.. it's a nightmare having to take all the cages down and move the pets to my parents for a bit.. :roll:

How about replace the carpet...and get some of that plastic covering stuff?? keep the pets at bay a bit.The animal smell will be obvious at inspection.Wouldnt want you to be given notice to get out the premises.:oops:

I tried the rug doctor from Morrisons and wasn't impressed with it. Got a carpet man to come in, did my whole flat for £80 and it was as good as new, amazing. Got all the stains out that had been there for months - it's a white carpet too! Took him 3 hours and dried pretty much instantly.

I use a carpet spot on cleaner for odd bits though, it's in a bright pink bottle at ASDA. :)

As you said, it's more than likely gone through the underlay as well so any cleaning isn't go to get rid of the smell completely.

You would have thought that the Landlord would have preferred wooden floor/laminate for ease of cleaning rather than carpet! Would make more sense!

Oh I know the feeling!! Kenco has completely ruined our carpet in our back bedroom....his wee coupled with Fay ripping and digging it to shreds!!!

Unfortunately ours has gone through to the underlay in places and I dont think even an industrial cleaner would get rid of the smell and stains.... We will be replacing ours with a new (but cheap!) carpet. Luckily it was only cheap in the first place.

Nice conversation!! :oops::lol::lol:

My carpet stunk. I notice now it's gone just how much it did stink. Thankfully it was an old one and needed replacing anyway. Now I have lino. :thumb:

If the room is not that big, could you try and get an offcut of carpet to replace it. You may be able to pick up some underlay on ebay or even freecycle.

we are going to look for a cheap carpet from somewhere, and just change it... because i think it is beyond repair now!! i think we will be staying here for a couple of years yet, so we will have to just replace it again when we leave..

luckily the lounge is really small so hopefully it won't cost too much...

For my new flat the landlord is fine with buns, but he said he wants his carpets intact when we leave. We've bought tarpauline which we are layering under vetbed and the child rubber based rugs from ikea. Then if we have any bunnies missing the toilet it won't ruin the carpet! :lol:

Other than that I have a Vax carpet shampooer/cleaner and it's excellent! I'd say if you ever have the opportunity get one, it will always have a use! :wave:

Back