• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed about rabbits.

ErnieG!

New Kit
Hello! Thanks for showing interest in my thread.
I haven't got any rabbits at the moment, and would like to get some background information on some of the illnesses that I would come across if I was to get some rabbits, also how much it would be to treat the illness.

Any advice would be great.

Hi,

I would suggest using the search function to be honest because there are far too many to try and explain. There are also some excellent sites on google that have a lot of info. On my site (link in my sig) there is a list of symptoms that indicate a problem, which may or may not be of interest to you (its under 'Rabbit Info Articles'.

You're looking at things like Myxomatosis, Stasis, VHD, E. Cuniculi, Head tilt, Mites, Fleas, dental issues (malocclusion and molar spurs), abscesses, sore hocks, the list goes on and on.

Hello and welcome, well done for doing some research before getting a rabbit. I can't really help much as I am quite new to having Rabbits myself. Look through all the forums/threads is the best I can say.

Yes I agree with the others here, there are a lot of things potentially that can happen or not, diet and general care are crucial in preventing illness in rabbits but, sadly as with humans some things are genetic or hereditary. It is worth saying that you do need a contigency fund for veterinary treatment of rabbits, it is not cheap if things go wrong, at the very least you need to pay roughly £150.00 to get vacs and neutering done, which is why is also a better idea to adopt/rescue if at all possible.

I would also recommend looking in to Insurance, I use Petplan.
Paying around £25 per month for two buns.
However they will not cover for any prexisting problems, Jimby has so many exclusions on his policy due to us not taking the insurance out straight away, but Cookie has none.

This is a useful website with details about rabbit conditions and vaccinations.

The price of treatment varies from £50.00 to £200.00 or more depending on the condition. I would suggest getting rabbit insurance or having a separate account for emergenices.

www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk

My advice: keep some money aside, about £100. Watch for any change in behaviour like not eating or cleaning or becoming withdrawn. Most common problems are to do with teeth, due to bad breeders or bad diet... mostly.

I agree with going to rescue. :)

Back