• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!

smoo

Mama Doe
I have always been purely a guinea pig sort of person, but I thought i'd try my hand with a bunny. I have no idea what sex it is or what breed but it is beautiful.
So far .. no name..

We got it today and so far the bunny has hopped around a little and then just sat in the hay, I was told it's around 6 weeks old.

Is it best to have more than 1 rabbit at a time (we have plenty of room) and if so what are best 2 males or 2 females.

Thanks guys !! x

Hiya,

Welcome to the forum smoo,

A neutered male and female would be best. Congrads on your new bunny. Bunnies are fab. Perhaps you could get a rescue bun to complement your existing bun. I'm sure there will be some of similar age in rescues. I've seen some adorable ones posted lately.

Hope you get another nice new bun to go with.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of advice on the forum to help you with them both,

Ambience x

p.s Post some photo's if you have any of your new bun i'm sure everyone will be happy to give you name ideas.

I love the name hope, storm, butterfly for a rabbit- don't know why - these are just the current name i've got sailing around in my head- butterfly is an odd one i know, but i like it :)

Last edited:
Hi :)

Congrats on the new bunny - best to get a good vet to sex it so you can be 100% sure. If you post your rough location people can recommend a good vet in your area (not all vets are particularly knowledgeable about rabbits, which have very difference physiology to cats and dogs.)

If you have a look through past threads on the forum there will be a welath of advice on all sorts of topics. You might want to have a look for tips on looking after very young rabbits because 6 weeks is a little too young for it to be away from its mother really :? I've not cared for baby rabbits myself so don't know if they have any particular requirements but someone will probably be along soon who has more experience.

Thanks for the replys guys. I too thought that 6 weeks was too young but the conditions it was in I couldn't leave it. Dont want to take photo's etc yet in case he/she dies.
Little bunny has lots of fresh veggies and hay and pellets available but doesn't appear to have eaten anything. I'll keep an eye on it though :cry:

Hi

6 weeks is too young to have been moved
What was it fed on before?..it would probably have been a rabbit mix so buy some mix for it for now

I would advise you to take the veg away..try mashing pellets with some water.
Leave bun to settle in a quiet place and don't handle much..they do not like being handled and it will be a bit bewildered at present
Put a soft toy..no ribbons or bits it can chew off easily and not bean filled..in with it..make sure it is warm.
If it hasn't eaten or poo'd on next few hours it really needs a vet to be given fluid therapy..please don't try syringing water to such a young bun as they choke very easily
Hope it is ok

Last edited:
Aw, poor baby- taken away far too early, but I understand why you did if conditions were horrific. Just some hay and a small amount of pellets with rolled oats (not quick, or instant or flavoured) should be fine. However, what it has been fed on previously would be ideal. Also a water bowl as opposed to bottle would be better.

On my website (link in my sig) there are a huge variety of articles under 'Rabbit Info Articles' that should tell you the majority of what you have asked, and more too.

Thanks for the replys guys. I too thought that 6 weeks was too young but the conditions it was in I couldn't leave it. Dont want to take photo's etc yet in case he/she dies.
Little bunny has lots of fresh veggies and hay and pellets available but doesn't appear to have eaten anything. I'll keep an eye on it though :cry:

Oh my, I see :cry: Well done you for trying to help it. honeybunny has given you some good advice there, wishing you the best of luck. x

Folk,

Bunny 1 is now eating!! So happy I even did a little cry . Today I went and rescued Bunny 2 which is from the same litter. And gave the owners some advice which they won't be taking.
No hay, no food and wet bottom cages. Makes me so angry.

Will be taking the bunnys to the vets on wednesday for a quick check over!

That's awesome :D

Sounds like even after a poor start these bunnies have landed on their feet :)

Do you know their sexes?

I don't know the sexes yet. I've checked on one of the posts on here to give myself an idea but they are still really young and as they have only been with me for 1 day i didn't want to be pulling them around to much. I'll get the vet to try and tell me.
Thanks for all the help though. : )

I know this is possibly a bit contentious, but if there are other buns there and you know they are not being cared for, could you report them, or will it cause too much trouble?
I couldn't sleep knowing I hadn't got all of them out of the awful conditions even if I couldn't take them all myself.
Sorry this isn't meant to offend anyone but I just detest animal cruelty/ignorance so much. :censored: The human race never ceases to disappoint me , which is why I need to be on a forum like this to remind me that the entire world isn't all the same.
sorry, rant over.

The thing is they are my mums neighbours, they do get let out for running about and do get fed eventually and the stupid thing is they claim to love these bunnys.
It doesn't take 5 minutes to join a forum like this and ask a few questions if you aren't sure. I've given them a brochure i got from pets at home with outlines the very basics. If they don't sort it i'll have to do something
Rant over for me too :evil:

That's fine :) They are so young right now that gender doesn't matter. I'm guessing they live together?

In a couple of weeks they may need to be separated if they are different sexes, that's all I was thinking. For now though, just making sure they are both ok is super important.

Yeah they are living together, spent a few hours laying next to the hutch - indoors just talking to them with the door open and the little one hopped over too me and onto my hands so I let it have a little run around and the put it away.
Rabbits are definitley more fun that guinea pigs! - just don't tell the boyfriend:oops:

:love: Aw. I think we need some pictures.

ETA- I just remembered you didn't want to 'just in case' sorry.

Back