• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet dirty mouth - teeth? UD: dental op tomorrow.

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Hello.

You may remember my post from the other day - I was worried about Peters constant dirty bottom that I had to keep washing.

Well that situation hasn't really changed. Last night he seemed perfectly well and happily took his babna treat from me. This morning he seemed fine and he nibbled a bit of cauliflower. I went out to the rabbits this afternnon and there was still cauliflower left - Peter loves cauli and never leaves it. When I looked at him closer I noticed that hos mouth area looks dirty and really wet.

I have picked him up a couple of times to inspect his mouth - he is not impressed by this! Anyway, I have noticed that he appears to have a mini tooth that has grown behind one of his big munching teeth at the top front of his mouth. It looks quite red around the gum area.

He is now refusing food but I managedto get him to drink some water from a bottle.

What is wrong? My vet is shut today but I have searched all vets near to me and have found one that is open in the morning. I plan on getting him there at 9am when surgery opens.

Is there anything I can do for him in the meantime?

Thanks

Tanya

Last edited:
If he is refusing food and won't eat he needs to see an emergency vet tonight.

All his symptoms make sense and do add up to some sort of dental problem (inlduing the messy bum).

Been to the vet with Peter. He has been given an injection for today (to ease some pain) and is going back to the vets tomorrow. The vet said his tongue has got little cuts on it, so he is going to have his teeth filed tomorrow morning. He is my baby. I hope he is going to be ok.

Poor bunny :cry: Sounds like Peter has molar spurs - if left these can lacerate the tongue and cause a great deal of pain leading to bunny not eating and GI stasis.

I'm glad your vet has given pain relief but if Peter is not eating at all then you will need to syringe feed him food and fluids throughout the day and night in order to keep his tummy moving. He needs to have his tummy and droppings moving normally before he goes under a GA to have his dental. See if you can keep tempting him with whatever he will eat, wet leaves will help his hydration levels. If he refuses all food and you are unable to syringe him then he will need to be admitted so he can be syringed until his dental Op. Good luck x

Back