• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to buy from a show breeder?

DaydreamBunny

Alpha Buck
Sorry if I am just being ignorant, I would not buy from a pet shop or a back yard breeder, but is it acceptable to buy from a show breeder?

A show breeder does not mean a breeder is reputable.

If you are going to buy from a breeder then ideally s/he needs to be reputable. You need to see their premises, meet their bunnies (i.e. do they look healthy, bright, interested, etc), be given a care info pack if you want to buy from them, be given two weeks worth of food. You need to find out about any genetic problems and meet the relatives of the rabbit you want to buy.

Have you thought of maybe adopting from a rescue?

Yes she will only sell them from her home I did not mean that I was buying from a show, what I meant is buying from a person who breeds rabbits to show.

I think it depends on so many things: How often do they breed? What do they do with 'excess stock' or rabbits which don't come up to show standard? What is their rabbit housing and husbandry like? What is their attitude like? Are they trying hard to breed the 'perfect specimen', whatever that is? Is it a breed that is actually better off not being bred for exaggerated features which can cause health or welfare problems? Do they know the genetics of their rabbits for many generations and do they stop breeding from ones where genetic issues have been found (e.g. dental)? Do they vaccinate? etc...

Personally I wouldn't because I don't think that showing is in the best interests of the rabbits so I wouldn't want to encourage it. Also there are already too many rabbits in rescue without homes without breeding more for the purposes of what I view as self-gratification by showing.

If I were you, I would see if you can find a good rescue which can sort you out with a suitable companion or companions :) There are so many out there (check out the searchable database at www.rabbitrehome.org.uk)

Good luck x

It depends on your personal views on animal welfare.

I would not buy from anyone who has intentionally bred animals, because there are so many in rescue already that I don't want to encourage the breeding of more.

If you must buy from a breeder the criteria you should look for are the standards in which she keeps her animals, how the breeding is carried out, what advice she gives you on your new rabbit's care, etc etc.

I would still always go to a rescue myself ;) but as I said, it's a matter of personal opinion.

I feel bad now. Initially I wanted to rescue, I telephoned some local rescues who took my details but then never made any further contact with me, I have no idea why. I have 3 other pets and my vets would give me a reference, I have a hutch 6 feet x 2 feet x 2 feet, a massive run area, they have not even offered a home check???? So I carried out some research and have found a person who shows she has asked me lots of questions and is happy to let me have two rabbits as long as they are neutered, she has agreed to help with bonding and will provide aftercare advice. I have spent hours talking to this breeder, I am sure she would not mind if I managed to rescue however I have reserved rabbits from her, she never sells any rabbits to the pet trade industry. I love animals so do not want to do anything wrong. I do have problems speaking, especially on the phone so this may have put rescue off, I don't know what else it could have been?

Rescues are incredibly busy and get a lot of people showing interested but not following up. You didn't follow up or 'chase', which is probably where things went wrong.

Why not pop down to your local rescues and meet the bunnies and go from there? Or else look on Rabbit Rehome and see if there are any pairs on there who you might want to adopt?

If this lady never sells to the pet trade, why is she selling to you?

Don't feel bad - you are just starting out and are obviously trying to find the most responsible route into rabbit keeping, there's nothing wrong with that.

Rescues are very busy. Try phoning one again, and arranging a date to go and visit their bunnies, if you're still open to adopting some.

Whereabouts are you? There are lots of rescues on here that are bursting at the seams and would be only too happy to have you adopt a couple of their rabbits :)

Sky-O I got the impression that this breeder is unwilling to sell to pet shops, ie where she won't know what kind of homes the buns are going to, not that she's unwilling to sell them as pets at all. :)

The breeder sounds nice... but you sound like such a great home would be lovely if you could rescue a pair of buns :wave: there are rescues on here that rehome nationally, all four of mine are rescues, Dreamer had a bunnyrun to get to me, he was in Leicester at thoneybunnies and came to southampton... he had an overnight stay with a member here before i met them to pick him up to break up the journey. :D

depends what your prefrences are. If you dont see a problem with it then go for it, just make sure your getting some from a place you agree with.
I would say now though, if you have reserved teh rabbits that I know myself if someone decided to then not take them and instead get rescues after we had talk about it for a while i would be a little annoyed to say the least.
she sounds like a nice person and if you agree with her practises then i dont see no problem. I would go round and visit, make sure you like teh setup etc, meet the rabbits

Why not 'speak' to one of the rescues on here, you could then explain your set up etc by email or pm and explain to them that you dont talk well on the phone. You could arrange to go and meet them and the buns and take it from there.

Most rescues are full to bursting and would welcome the offer of a good home. Whereabouts in the country are you? So we can point you in the direction of someone local. As Nursecroft said some rescues do rehome nationally too so its worth looking around :D

I be too worried about buying young buns, they don't always do well under GA so getting them neutered would scare the poop out of me, better to go to a rescue and get a bonded pair that have already been neutered, and vet checked :)

Maybe contact a rescue on here and arrange a visit through PMing each other?

I think I need to go away and think this all through again - If I now go for rescue I have been a big time waster to a breeder who has been very helpful and if I go with the reserved bunnies from the breeder I am letting down a couple of rabbits who desparately need a home :oops:

I think I need to go away and think this all through again - If I now go for rescue I have been a big time waster to a breeder who has been very helpful and if I go with the reserved bunnies from the breeder I am letting down a couple of rabbits who desparately need a home :oops:

rescue or breeder, they both need homes.

rescue or breeder, they both need homes.

True but supporting breeders means that you free up space for more buns to be bred from and born - which increases the overpopulation problem and buns sitting in shelters either get euthanased or lose a potentially fabulous home. Much better to adopt.

You need to do whatever feels right for you. Trust your gut instinct and follow it.

True but supporting breeders means that you free up space for more buns to be bred from and born - which increases the overpopulation problem and buns sitting in shelters either get euthanased or lose a potentially fabulous home. Much better to adopt.

but as i said, if the OP does not mind suportting breeders

Back