• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur

karen354

Warren Veteran
I've been told to give cookie 28 day treatment of panacur. It's a 5g tube, will that really do for 28 days? He is only little and very light. My other buns are double cookies weight so I know I'm being a bit dumb but I'll need two tubes for all the others ?

I dont use the paste but it's 1 graduation for each 2.5kg isn't it ? How many graduations are there in the tube?

I use the 10% liquid, cheaper, easier to calculate an accurate dose and easier to administer.

Assuming he is less than 2.5kg you will need two tubes for a 28 day course.
For a bun 2.5kg - 5kg you would need four tubes for a 28 day course

Assuming he is less than 2.5kg you will need two tubes for a 28 day course.
For a bun 2.5kg - 5kg you would need four tubes for a 28 day course

I thought one tube wouldn't be enough.. I've paid for an 15ml Metacam and got a 3ml bottle and paid for a 28 days treatment of pancuar when it's not near enough in one tube.. I'll have to go back tomorrow and have a word..
Thank you. :)

Panacur paste tube gradations

There are 18 gradations in one tube of paste. The dosing mechanism is not precise-- I was told it doesn't have to be qbsolutely exact, which is good because the counter wheel is so clumsy. For our little bun. 1.6 kg, he gets a gradation (from top mark to bottom) per day. the bigger bun is 2.75 kg, and gets a bit more than one gradation-- I just hold the counter wheel between gradations with my finger while pushing in the plunger. Ours are happy to take it on a little sliver of toasted bread. Good luck, Shebunkin

There are 18 gradations in one tube of paste. The dosing mechanism is not precise-- I was told it doesn't have to be qbsolutely exact, which is good because the counter wheel is so clumsy. For our little bun. 1.6 kg, he gets a gradation (from top mark to bottom) per day. the bigger bun is 2.75 kg, and gets a bit more than one gradation-- I just hold the counter wheel between gradations with my finger while pushing in the plunger. Ours are happy to take it on a little sliver of toasted bread. Good luck, Shebunkin

Yup this. Interestingly the first couple of tubes I got when Misha had head tilt the wheel was great and would move easily but would stay in place when administering. Now the wheel moves far TOO freely and it's difficult to gauge.

I would worry with the liquid that I'd give too much. Plus Mischa and Mini love the taste so take it freely from the tube.

Just realised I'm to give Cookie 1/2 graduation per day so it says on the box. Do you think this is enough ?

Back