• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My new rescue bunny had flystrike

Kittycat

Young Bun
My new doe was a stray found with flystrike a few weeks ago. She is a big bunny, and I'm concerned that she is at risk of it happening again.
I've only had her less than 12 hours home here - (she was away with my bun being bonded since last Sunday) , but I have already found 2 really mushy cecotropes in the litter tray. :(
I'm 99.99% sure its Lottie, not Blackberry because he's never done that ever in the 2 years I've had him, and I guess I'm on edge because I know she's already had flystrike once so am being super vigilant. I read the article on ISC that was mentioned in the other post about mushy poops, and that does seem to be the problem. Because of her size, I suspect she has been fed all kinds of junk in her previous "life" (don't think it was much of one, to be honest), and didn't move a lot. :(
Now however, she is wife to my very active bouncy buck, has loads of space and won't be getting any more junk food.

My question to you wise bunny folk is this:

Is she not eating the cecotropes because her gut is all messed up, or is it because she just can't get her head down there to eat them?

The lady who did the bonding says that she has seen far bigger, but because I'm used to my sleek bunny boy, she probably seems bigger to me. ( I need to buy scales and weigh her..)

Am I right in thinking that if she really couldn't get her head down there, there would be more than two cecotropes on the 12 hours or so? I dont know how many they normally do, since blackberry just eats his out of sight.

If it is that her gut is still suffering from her old "lifestyle" then will keeping her on timothy hay and the odd bit of grass she nibbles in the run (mostly eaten already by her new husband) fix her problem? And she should lose some weight too, which won't do her any harm.

In the meantime, I'm off to wash her bum and cuddle her.

Thanks for any advice,

Kit. :)

If it was me I would reduce her pellets or stop them as you are saying as either way it's the dry food causing it whether she's being (or has been) fed too much, they don't agree with her or that they are making her fat.

I'm sure with regular bum check she will be fine on the diet you have suggested. I wouldn't discount veggies though, just add them gradually to see what upsets her :wave:

It could well be that her tummy is a little unsettled still from the change. When Kanika came here, she did a few misformed and mushy poos, but has been perfect since she settled in.
Put her on a mainly hay diet for now so her tum settles down and that should help her to lose some weight too, but I would imagine she'll need some veg and pellets too.
She sounds like a lucky bunny to have landed on her paws with you.:love:

Back