• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs U/D p13

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Can slugs harm rabbits, in the same way they can cause lungworms in dogs??

When it rains, slugs are in abundance in the back garden and there was one on the water bowl in the shed!!!

Last edited:
I hate slugs :(

There are tons of snails in my garden, but I have just dug up all the plants and and seeding grass everywhere. Hopefully they will go to another garden when they find there is no planting to eat.

Adopt a hedgehog!! It's obviously not a decision to be taken lightly lol, but wildlife rescues are after suitable homes to rehome disabled hedgehogs that can still live in the "wild" (your garden) but are safe, provided for and looked after from afar.

Hedgehogs eat slugs and snails. I don't think I've seen a single slug, and very few snails, this year, and there is a hedgehog roaming around our garden and a couple of the neighbours'.

xxx

Adopt a hedgehog!! It's obviously not a decision to be taken lightly lol, but wildlife rescues are after suitable homes to rehome disabled hedgehogs that can still live in the "wild" (your garden) but are safe, provided for and looked after from afar.

Hedgehogs eat slugs and snails. I don't think I've seen a single slug, and very few snails, this year, and there is a hedgehog roaming around our garden and a couple of the neighbours'.

xxx

I have tones of slugs and snails too! I would love to adopt a hedgie! I saw one on the front garden last year but I've not seen it since :( Can they harm rabbits - fleas, mites etc..

I have tones of slugs and snails too! I would love to adopt a hedgie! I saw one on the front garden last year but I've not seen it since :( Can they harm rabbits - fleas, mites etc..

Err.... my rabbits are fine!:roll: I never even thought about that! My rabbits are usually tucked up in their hutch by hedgehog time though.

xxx

:wave: Toads get rid of the slugs aswell I am sure, I had loads in at one point and I am sure the toad is getting them:D I thought slugs could pass VHD? not sure but, I would certainly avoid them getting into food / water bowls or slithering on any edible hay, my doe was thumping like mad one night and I came down looked all round couldn't see what was wrong - she carried on, by chance I shone a torch and spotted a mahoosive slimy slug - I am sure that's what she was thumping about, I got it out and she was fine.

eww i hate slugs too and i get loads in my back garden and they often get in the rabbit hutch along with snals and then eat all the rabbit pellets!

I have been told that copper deters slugs, they don't crawl (or slither??) over it apparently, i am yet to test it. if it works my rabbits will be living in a copper coated hutch and my plans in copper pots.

Hi beki :wave:
your right slugs hate copper dunno why tho you can buy copper strips that are supposed to go around your plant pots but im thinking that you could put them around the water bowl or around the entrance to the hutch? ;)

Spoke to my vets about this. The life cycle of the lungworm doesn't come to fruition in rabbits, so they can't be affected :)

Back