• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue setups/ multiple rabbit setups

Hi
I am very interested in seeing rabbit housing on a larger scale, in like rescues/ sactuarys or just people who have many rabbits living seperatly. I always wonder how people do it while also being able to conform with the RSPCA hutch sizes, so if people could please post some pictures of such setups, just to help me understand.
thanks very much :)

I haven't got pics to hand at the moment, but at Hopper our groups of buns (i.e 2 buns or more) have an enclosure normally around 8ft x 12ft with either a 6 x 4 shed with shelves, or a 6x2x2 hutch

Hi
I am very interested in seeing rabbit housing on a larger scale, in like rescues/ sactuarys or just people who have many rabbits living seperatly. I always wonder how people do it while also being able to conform with the RSPCA hutch sizes, so if people could please post some pictures of such setups, just to help me understand.
thanks very much :)

Why do ask ? Are you a breeder? I think it depends on how many rabbits are bonded aswell, a lot of the time they are in pairs or more and allowed a separate exercise area I would imagine, also a lot of sanctuaries / rescues won't being conforming to the RSPCA standards as such, in fact the RSPCA house rabbits themselves in accomodation that is smaller than their own recommendations, the point is though that this is supposedly 'temporary' accomodation - the recommendations in place are there for a rabbit who is likely to spend a lifetime in the accomodation it has with it's permanent owner. Also when you consider what is acceptable for breeders - any rabbits housed in a rescue will be far better off.:wave:

I don't think there is one Liz, the latest I've seen from the RSPCA central is that a rabbit must be able to take three hops and stand up without touching the ceiling. Local branches have their own guidelines for rehoming etc, but these seem to vary too.

RWA recommend 6*2*2 hutch and 6*4 run as a minimum.

At least I have an excuse for not knowing :lol:

Do the RWA guidelines mean a permanently attached run or access to a run generally.

A lot of our rabbits have attached runs or aviaries but a few live in the shed in 6 by 2 hutches and have access to garden runs. We have just completed our largest run which is 10 by 8, taken 7 months :oops:

All our house rabbits except a couple who live in large pens have free range time in the house or go out in runs in nice weather :D

I'm not a rescue or sanctuary, but I have got lots of rabbits (24 to be precise). Here are a few of the enclosure my rabbits live in (both indoors and outdoors):

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF1875.jpg

I don't have pics of all the enclosures, but I do have quite a few 6ft x 2ft hutches with 6ft x 4ft runs attached

I'm not a rescue or sanctuary, but I have got lots of rabbits (24 to be precise). Here are a few of the enclosure my rabbits live in (both indoors and outdoors):

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF1875.jpg

I don't have pics of all the enclosures, but I do have quite a few 6ft x 2ft hutches with 6ft x 4ft runs attached

Fabulous set ups :D

Our local branch of RSPCA (west hatch) has really good rabbit enclosures. It's a building with indoor areas and outside runs, all with a proper roof on. I'm fairly sure it meets their minimum requirements but I can't quite remember.

VT12b.jpg

VT12a.jpg

another rescue I went to had 6ft hutches over 6ft runs for each pair of rabbits.

edit: my local RSPCA spec if that you must have a 6x2 hutch and permanent access to a 6x6 run, but they do have some leniancy. For instance if you have a 5x2 hutch but a 10x8 run they would likely accept that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and abbymarysmokey your setup is amazing!

but now im even more confused:lol:
I have heard so many times (especially on this forum) that rabbits need a minimum of 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run preferably attached...so i assumend all (well mojority, esp on here) rescues would conform to this seeing as that is what they require and believe is the minimum size that they rehome to...

oh and im not a breeder, but to say

Also when you consider what is acceptable for breeders - any rabbits housed in a rescue will be far better off

I mean i have seen some dodgy rescues and some breeders with accomidation better than them, so to say any rabbit in a rescue is better of think is a bit
of an unfair generilastion.

I have heard so many times (especially on this forum) that rabbits need a minimum of 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run preferably attached...so i assumend all (well mojority, esp on here) rescues would conform to this seeing as that is what they require and believe is the minimum size that they rehome to...

I mean i have seen some dodgy rescues and some breeders with accomidation better than them, so to say ALL i think is a bit

I completely agree with this in terms of accommodation, I have seen some absolutely horrendous "rescue" housing :(

Our local branch of RSPCA (west hatch) has really good rabbit enclosures. It's a building with indoor areas and outside runs, all with a proper roof on. I'm fairly sure it meets their minimum requirements but I can't quite remember.

VT12b.jpg

VT12a.jpg

another rescue I went to had 6ft hutches over 6ft runs for each pair of rabbits.

they look good, I'm not sure what my local RSPCA has I went a long time ago and they appeared to be ordinary 5ft hutches all round the walls with all varieties of small animals in this one enclosed shed/garage type area, rats in cages in the middle of the room - all clean but, I have to say the rabbits could have been better looked after and I was shocked at how few there were, they only had about 10 if that :shock: hopefully things have been upgraded there by now and they are able to accomodate more:? Perhaps i will have a look one day.

VT12b.jpg

VT12a.jpg

edit: my local RSPCA spec if that you must have a 6x2 hutch and permanent access to a 6x6 run, but they do have some leniancy. For instance if you have a 5x2 hutch but a 10x8 run they would likely accept that.

wow that is great!

I mean i have seen some dodgy rescues and some breeders with accomidation better than them, so to say any rabbit in a rescue is better of think is a bit

I didn't say all - I suppose we all speak from our own personal experiences, no generalising intended, it goes without saying some rescues are going to fall short but, the intent is still to 'rescue and provide sanctuary' rather than breed for financial gain or to eat them, so one would hope that the rabbits are actually looked after better but, sadly yes some are going to get in over their head probably and can't manage which is a shame because they are well meaning I would think :wave:

Edited to add there are only recommendations in place - as yet no laws as such which is the problem, there needs to be legislation in place that is setting a minimum size for rabbits, Defra have it in place for farmed animals and it is IMO cruel, out of date - it needs to increase the current minimum by at least 3 for it to be anywhere near humane in this day and age, if it can't be done then people shouldn't be farming them - simples.

Last edited:
Back