• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dislocating knees

weedug

Mama Doe
Just back from the vet with Floppy, and she says that on his bad leg the knee is dislocating really, really easily. And it's dislocating on the other knee too, just not so easily. There is also a problem with his hips.

She also said he has next to no muscle mass on the bottom of his legs, but further up is a bit better.

He's off for x-rays on Friday, and getting neutered at the same time since he is under, and then they'll see how bad things are and what to do.

Has anyone else had a bun with this, and how did they do?

Poor Bunny :cry:

I guess that's why his hocks are sore.

It sounds as though he may have hip dysplasia and luxating patella. Is he a Giant Breed by any chance ?

No he's just a little guy. About 5 months old just now, but I fostered another rabbit that was probably related to him and she was about Dutch size.

Any idea what will be in store for him? Can they operate to stop the joint popping in and out, or is it too risky?

Poor Floppy :cry: it was very good of the vet to spot the problems and book him in for an Xray, hopefully you'll get some more answers after that. I'm sorry I have no experience of this sort of joint problem in rabbits but would assume due to his age it is congenital in origin.

In answer to your hocks question on the other thread - because the site is so small, just a tiny sore tip on his heel at this point and it hasn't bled again today, then I agree that no medication is really necessary at this point in time, just keep a close eye on it, as I'm sure you will do anyway.
Good luck with everything next week - neuter, Xrays etc... will be thinking of you both then x

Poor Floppy :cry: it was very good of the vet to spot the problems and book him in for an Xray, hopefully you'll get some more answers after that. I'm sorry I have no experience of this sort of joint problem in rabbits but would assume due to his age it is congenital in origin.

In answer to your hocks question on the other thread - because the site is so small, just a tiny sore tip on his heel at this point and it hasn't bled again today, then I agree that no medication is really necessary at this point in time, just keep a close eye on it, as I'm sure you will do anyway.
Good luck with everything next week - neuter, Xrays etc... will be thinking of you both then x

Thanks. I'm really worried about it all as he seems so little, and he is such a lovely little boy. I am really annoyed that the other vet didn''t pick up on what was wrong with his legs.

I did feel daft getting her to look at his hock :oops:. It wasn't bleeding or anything by then, but he was due a myxo jag that he was too poorly for last time he went. I'm so glad he did go now, and that the usual vet was on holiday.

She said that I should maybe restrict his mobility a bit, but I don't know how restricted he should be just now. I'm not keen on keeping him in a cage all the time, unless it would be to his benefit.

Hi hun just read this as not been on much yesterday as hubbys in hossy

Sorry to here about the wee man ..I myself have only came across this with a dog and we couldn't walk her as much as the others but she lived till she was 10 and really had a happy life.

Hope your vet can help this wee chap as he is so so lovely

Hi hun just read this as not been on much yesterday as hubbys in hossy

Sorry to here about the wee man ..I myself have only came across this with a dog and we couldn't walk her as much as the others but she lived till she was 10 and really had a happy life.

Hope your vet can help this wee chap as he is so so lovely

Hope hubby's OK?

The vet said she had only seen this in dogs too, and never in a rabbit. She's getting in touch with 'D'ick Vet School to get advice on what to do for him.

I'm dreading this Friday :(

Back