• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry Keeps Escaping! Help!!

angel_night

Mama Doe
Okay RU, I need your brains!!

My rabbit Cherry has turned into an insane escape artist. She has chewed through her run and has now somehow figured out how to open her hutch door (how on earth when it has the open/close thing on the outside!?). My mum replaced the wood on the run today and she's already chewed throguh it and escaped. I;m really worried something bad will happen to her if she keeps doing this :(

I'm going to buy a bolt and put it on the hutch so that should solve that problem but I'm at a loss with what to do about the run :? Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

Can you post a picture? It might help us to visualise it better.

A lot of bought runs have the mesh attached to the inside of the wood, which means that if the mesh is solid and small holed, the bun can't actually get to the wood to chew it. Is the run made from panels that are screwed together? Can you take it apart and turn all the panels round so the mesh is on the inside?

Bolts on the hutch are a good idea anyway even if your bun isn't an escape artist - foxes, dogs, cats etc can all scrabble at those catches and open them if they try, whereas they would struggle to do the same thing with bolts. I would also make sure that you put the bolts on pointing sideways (in the middle, for best stability) or downwards - not upwards. I had a hutch once that came with bolts on the ground floor pointing up, and the bun in it learnt to rattle the hutch door and loosen the bolts :roll:

Can you post a picture? It might help us to visualise it better.

A lot of bought runs have the mesh attached to the inside of the wood, which means that if the mesh is solid and small holed, the bun can't actually get to the wood to chew it. Is the run made from panels that are screwed together? Can you take it apart and turn all the panels round so the mesh is on the inside?

Bolts on the hutch are a good idea anyway even if your bun isn't an escape artist - foxes, dogs, cats etc can all scrabble at those catches and open them if they try, whereas they would struggle to do the same thing with bolts. I would also make sure that you put the bolts on pointing sideways (in the middle, for best stability) or downwards - not upwards. I had a hutch once that came with bolts on the ground floor pointing up, and the bun in it learnt to rattle the hutch door and loosen the bolts :roll:

i'll try and get a photo tomorrow, but the run itself is basically recetangle so 2 pieves running above inline together (with like 2 foot space between them) and then 2 other pieces of wood running across the middle with pieces on the ends as well.

putting mesh on the inside is a good idea, though i swear she's managed to chew through some of that as well :? it was handmade by a friend years ago. its annpying that she got throguh it so fas though today. i htink im going to have to get my boyfriend on the job!

Yes, a bolt is a good idea.

Not sure about the run as Santa said a picture would be good because I can't see a bunny chewing out of my run because even if they chewed through the wood there would still be mesh in the way.:?

I hope that you find something to help and that Cherry stops escaping!!:wave:

i'll try and get a photo tomorrow, but the run itself is basically recetangle so 2 pieves running above inline together (with like 2 foot space between them) and then 2 other pieces of wood running across the middle with pieces on the ends as well.

putting mesh on the inside is a good idea, though i swear she's managed to chew through some of that as well :? it was handmade by a friend years ago. its annpying that she got throguh it so fas though today. i htink im going to have to get my boyfriend on the job!

If you get weld mesh (which you can find on ebay) a rabbit canit chew through that (as far as i'm aware), they can however chew through chicken wire. What type of mesh are you using at the moment on the run??

I agree that weld mesh is the best idea, and at least 2 secure bolts as well. How much binky time does she get? It sounds like she might be a bit bored. Maybe you could convert a shed for her, and get her a friend - that'll keep her too busy for escaping!

Back