• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my poor little daisy :( Staples help needed

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
I took Gizmo and Daisy to a bunny boarders in Bristol for a few days, while I went home to Bournemouth for my birthday. I dropped them off early wednesday morning, and advised the lady that they have been spending an hour or so together, but only supervised, as i wouldnt trust them on their own yet.
I went to pick them up this morning, and found out the lady had to do an emergency vets trip with daisy wednesday afternoon :( She'd put them in together, under her supervision, Gizmo had smelt other rabbits, and tried to herd daisy into the corner to protect her. Daisy is normally the boss and apparently didnt like this, and it all resulted in Gizmo biting her on the nose :cry: It tore her nose, so she was rushed to the vets, and she now has two staples in her nose :( So a £20 boarding session resulted in a £145 vets trip!:shock::shock: She had to be sedated to have the staples put in, and she had her post op appointment this morning before I picked her up to have a second antibiotic jab.
I'm a little bit cross she didnt phone me when it happened, but it was clear she felt terrible. Daisy has been eating fine,and both her nostrils seem to be working ok, and she still seems to love Giz very much! they had to come home together in the carrier because I didnt realise there had been any trouble.
What I'm not sure about is, what happens now? How long roughly do the staples need to be in for? and is she going to need to be sedated again to have them removed? Are they still ok to be bonded??

Last edited:
Oh dear :cry:

How odd to use staples on a nose injury :?

I would get your Vet to take a look at her tomorrow to make sure all is healing well and that there is no sign of infection. The staples should be able to come out in 7-10 days and I would think sedation would be necessary. Had the Vet used disolvable sutures it'd have been better I would have thought. Staples can be removed without sedation if used on other parts of the body, but I dobt a Bun would tolerate having them removed from the nose.

As for the bonding, I would wait until the wound is healed and start again from scratch in 100% neutral territory.

thank you Jane :) I did wonder why they used staples, the lady said apparently they let the wound heal more naturally? I'm not really sure. If I hadn't been so shocked and upset I'd have asked more questions. I have the vets number, so am going to ring them tomorrow and ask them a few questions, and make an appointment at my vets too. There doesn't seem to be any obvious sign of infection, which is a good thing, and she's still eating and pooing like normal. In fact, she just started stomping to remind me that they haven't had their dinner yet :lol:
It looks so awful, there's a tear right across one side of her nose :( She still seems desperate to get back to giz tho!

Just a thought, but she is going to be spayed soon, would/could a vet take the staples out at the same time if I plan the timing right? to save her having two lots of anesthetic?

Evies staples were in for just over a week so that sounds about right.

If I were you I would let her recover from this along with her spay and start again with the bonding then

thank you Jane :) I did wonder why they used staples, the lady said apparently they let the wound heal more naturally? I'm not really sure. If I hadn't been so shocked and upset I'd have asked more questions. I have the vets number, so am going to ring them tomorrow and ask them a few questions, and make an appointment at my vets too. There doesn't seem to be any obvious sign of infection, which is a good thing, and she's still eating and pooing like normal. In fact, she just started stomping to remind me that they haven't had their dinner yet :lol:
It looks so awful, there's a tear right across one side of her nose :( She still seems desperate to get back to giz tho!

Just a thought, but she is going to be spayed soon, would/could a vet take the staples out at the same time if I plan the timing right? to save her having two lots of anesthetic?

Yes :)

I wouldn't be cross that she didn't call you at the time it happened, you went off to enjoy your birthday, she did the best thing and took her straight to the vet, there was nothing you could have done except worry or cancel your plans, I think she did the best thing as you trusted her to look after your buns and in my opinion that is exactly what she did :)

Hope daisy feels better soon :)

Back