• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hattie's poorly - incontinence? UD - blood results and low calcium diet

x-vic-x

Mama Doe
I posted a few weeks ago about splitting my trio as my other 2 bunnies had been picking on Hattie.

Since then I have put Hattie in a temporary indoor cage and brought her inside to monitor her. Her only symptom is that she appears to be incontinent, which makes her bottom always wet, which in turn makes her soar and smelly. I have been wiping her with a damp flannel twice a day, drying her and then putting a little sudocrem on the areas that appear to be getting sore. Is this the best thing to do?

She has been on a high dose of antibiotics for just over a week now and there has been no change in her at all, so she is booked in for blood tests and a scan on Monday. I'm so scared, she is my first bunny as an adult and the reason I started fostering rabbits.

She is happy and bright in herself, she is still eating, and drinking fine. So my main question is what are the causes of incontinence in bunnies?

Last edited:
Kidney and bladder problems (failure, stones, sludge, infection that doesn't respond to those antibiotics), spinal damage, tail damage. Those things came off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other things though.

I do hope you manage to find out what's wrong with her. Its horrible in that unknown phase.

Poor little Hattie :cry:

There are several reasons for incontinence including UTI, Bladder sludge/stones, EC. Although I have never seen it in a Bun in my care I wonder if Does spayed at an older age run the risk of incontinence :?

Without diagnostics it is impossible to say what Hattie's problem(s) may be.
I hope the Vet can help her.

Keeping her as clean and dry as possible and using a barrier cream is a good idea. Also bedding her on towels/Vetbed which can be changed several timesa day.

Hattie went for a scan this morning and blood tests.

Her scan has come back clear, there are no abnormalities at all. They have checked her urine and that is fine, so we are just waiting for the blood test results to come back. They are checking her kidney function I think.

Hopefully they will tell us what is wrong.

The only things I can think of that wont show up in the usual tests is nerve damage to the bladder and neurological reasons. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to fix these either, all you can do is manage the symptoms.

I hope the bloods show something that is easily fixable. Sending vibes for Hattie

I had a major panic this morning when the vets phoned to say Amanda needed to see me this morning and could I bring Hattie along.

Her blood results are back and she has raised wbc and reduced rbc she said the rbc wasn't really an issue.

The main thing they picked up was that her calcium levels are really high, they think it may be due to a problem with her kidneys. So they have upped her baytril dose and put her on metacam.

We also need to put her on as a lower calcium diet as possible Any suggestions on how to do this? she is currently on meadow hay, a small handful of excel and veg. In theory the vet wants her on a hay and selective veg only diet but obviously that needs to be down very gradually and we need to keep an eye on her weight.

Back