• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roof for the garden

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
Hi,

I need some suggestions and advice. My rabbits have a run which is permanently attached to their hutch which is extremely secure and I also let me out for supervised play in the garden (which despite their valiant efforts they haven't been able to get out of – our bunny proofing of the garden has been a success!).

What I would like to do is create something for when I'm at home but not actually in the garden with them. Having thought about it for sometime – I think the only risk is something jumping into the garden.

I've seen some netting that is designed to put on top of runs – is it any good? Does anyone have this? I was thinking I could attach this across a big portion of the garden by securing it to the fences.

If anyone else has any other ideas I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. I don't want any permanent roofing structure really – I'd prefer something I could easily put up and down.

Thank you!

Bunny Mum2b

I would be inclined to build something from aviary panels: these are likely to be stronger and more secure and predator proof than netting and you can make it as big as space and budget allows. Remember predators can dig under as well as climb over so you will need to make the floor secure as well as the roof xx

Ditto to the above really. Netting isn't at all predator-proof - a fox, a bird of prey, a dog or a cat could easily get through it to get to the buns' if they wanted to.

A safe run made of weld-mesh would be best. :) xx

I would be inclined to build something from aviary panels: these are likely to be stronger and more secure and predator proof than netting and you can make it as big as space and budget allows. Remember predators can dig under as well as climb over so you will need to make the floor secure as well as the roof xx

Ditto you are more likely to catch small birds or something if you net over the garden, I inadvertently trapped a magpie - its own fault really it pushed it's way into the large playpen that I had left assembled and it obviously didn't see the netting on the top so got trapped - I let it out within 5 mins as I was here but, i don't like to think what would have happened if I hadn't been here. I take it down religiously now even though it causes me a lot of effort.

Back