• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits hold in their poo?

Stator

Warren Veteran
Lovely subject, I know.

Whenever I have to lock my rabbits in their hutch overnight, they seem to hold in their poo (their litter tray is in the run). I had to lock lilly in the hutch overnight to monitor wally's output and there were only a few odd poos around the hutch and nothing in the hutch litter tray. I let her back in the run at 6am and a couple hours later there was a big pile which must have been hers due to the colour.

The vet said their pooing is involuntary but my experience indicates otherwise.

What are you experiences?

I know a lady that has a house rabbit, and it stands at the back door like a dog when it needs the toilet and it will only go out side. so maybe they can hold it in, but i`m no expert and couldn`t give you an acurate answer.:)

They can hold it...but it can be very dangerous.

With house bunnies you need to make sure that they go to their litter trays every few hours as some get lazy and will hold it all for 8 hours....then get a kidney infection.

Outdoor buns...if they want to do it in the run then make sure they always have access to the run.

I'm no expert, having had my bun only 3 months, but I've noticed that hardly ever poos if he is in his lower hutch. He waits until I put him in his pen or back to the upper hutch (poor fellow hasn't mastered the stairs). I have only ever found a couple of poos in the lower hutch, and he has never weed there. When I move him he usually goes straight to business, so my experience suggests holding in. :wave:

Yeah - i recon they have control - thats why they can be litter trained so easily.

Yep Presley does this all the time. He will never poo in his cage, he will only go in a carboard box full of hay in the corner of the room, if we move it or take it away he wont go at all :roll: . Ps he is a house rabbit

Pooping is not involuntary imo. Aflie my housebunny always goes to his tray when he needs to go and he never leaves them anywhere else. Even when he's in the garden he seems to come back in to poop.

Even adult wildies NEVER poo or wee underground.
I'm sure they have control. Having said that, I don't think they can help the odd single poo that happens when they are excited, & some buns with GI issues poo a few in their sleep.

My dirty grubby little man does the whole kit in his bedroom.......:roll:
So wish he wouldnt.
Mrs Bun and Roland are litter trained and have a tray.
Another little grubster I have,Lily Shane, does it anywhere she wants to.

mine use their trays. Even if they are out in the garden, they go back in, use the tray and come back out! why cant they go on the grass and save me all the cleaning :roll:

Biscuit has 2 litter trays, one in the living room by the sofa and one in his pen, he will move from wherever he is when he's free-ranging to the one by the sofa, if i forget to put it out :oops: he'll sit next to where it is and nudge my feet so i remember, as soon as its on the floor, he'll hop in and, well, you know what happens next :)

So from my experience (and its only 4 months) they can hold them:wave:

Back