• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance

Pie

Warren Veteran
I really want/need to get Pie insured as I will be living abroad for 6months from september.
Does anyone know any good companies that they can advise me on? And what policy would be best?
She is 1yr 4month old Mini Lop. Spayed. Vaccs up to date. Healthy, no problems. But want to get her covered just incase something happens while Im not int he UK.

Thanks! :wave:

I had a really good look for insurance earlier this week, and i found 3 policies ranging from £9.76 to £12.90 a month. I found a comparison on www.bunnycover.com. For the most part, the other companies that offer pet insurance seem to just provide cover for dogs and cats.

In the end, i took out the Petplan policy because it was the cheapest, they have a good reputation and they have the same payouts and terms & conditions as the slightly more expensive one. Terms & Conditions of the policy state that you have to everything in your power to prevent illness, such as vaccinations, and they have to have a yearly dental check. It seems like a fairly comprehensive plan as it covers illness, injury, complimentary medicine, advertising & rewards for lost/stolen bunnies and cover for someone to look after your bunny should yo be taken into hospital.

Thankyou for replying that was very helpful! I will look at petplan.
(I seem to have a tendacy to make threads no one replies to I think ;):lol: )

Insurance is one of the first things i looked at when i got my bunny, i've heard far too many horror stories about how much it costs if they get sick. I know i don't have the money if she suddenly gets sick. What with car, house redundancy and now rabbit insurance, i'm being to feel like my entire life is insured :lol:

Yes go with PetPlan. I think they give the best coverage, up to £2000 per year in vet fees but they will pay out next year as well as long as you renew. Make sure your buns have their vaccinations up to date, panacur and a yearly dental check, get them to note the dental check on the vet's computer system when they do it.

Exotics direct are a bit cheaper but they only pay a percentage of any costs for referals. Although referals aren't very common with rabbits anyway.

Yes go with PetPlan. I think they give the best coverage, up to £2000 per year in vet fees but they will pay out next year as well as long as you renew. Make sure your buns have their vaccinations up to date, panacur and a yearly dental check, get them to note the dental check on the vet's computer system when they do it.

Exotics direct are a bit cheaper but they only pay a percentage of any costs for referals. Although referals aren't very common with rabbits anyway.
When i was looking Exotics direct were the most expensive with the least covereage! I wonder if they've changed their pricing and policies recently.

I still haven't sorted out insurance and I've had my bunnies nearly two weeks now. The vet did say they were happy and healthy on Tuesday though. Although on Wednesday I nearly had a heart attack when I came home from work and there was white wee everywhere! That appears to be sorted now though. For me, the cheapest quote was Exotic Direct by a long way and PetPlan was £44 a month for both! I don't know why it's so much more than everyone else pays, perhaps because I live in London?

Maybe i just got lucky? Although my mum seems to think its pretty expensive since i'm paying more for my rabbit than she is for her cat, and half of what she pays for her dog, who weighs 4 and a half stone!

Using their online quote thing, which asks you no questions except how many buns you want to quote for, it's £8.92 per month for one or £25.90 per month for 4 which is £6.48 each.

I'm not sure if their cover is "For life" like Petplan though :?

I have just had a quote from Exotics Direct of £310 a year for four rabbits. Works out at just over £25 a month.

I am thinking of doing this - but I didnt read any of their terms or conditions so dont know what I would be paying for :oops:

I have my girls insured with pet plan - fingers crossed I've never had to claim but they have always been really helpful on the odd occasion I've rang them with questions/asking for new papers because I misplaced mine :oops:

It costs me just under £20 a month for my two - a Dutch aged 3.5years & a 2 year old lop :wave:

My lot used to be with petplan and they were very good. they paid up quickly with no quibble when Evie ripped her leg open

Here is the reply from ExoticDirect regarding whether their policies are "For life" like PetPlan.
Further to your enquiry, for which we thank you, we would advise that our policies are not "life" policies.

They are renewable and underwritten on an annual basis.

We cannot confirm in advance whether if an illness was claimed for in year one, whether this would be excluded at renewal, as various factors would be taken into consideration by underwriters, eg. The type of illness, the amount claimed etc.

We would advise that if your pet is age 4 at inception then as long as continuous cover is in place, then you can renew every year for the life of your pet.

We do not cancel cover when your pet reaches an upper age limit, and we do not rate our policies according to a pet's age.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards

What does that mean then :oops:

With PetPlan as long as you renew your policy every year they will continue to cover your pet for life.

For example:

• You take out a policy with pet plan. As always it lasts 1 year.
  • You make a claim for condition A
  • One year is up so you renew with pet plan for another year
  • Condition A comes back again, but pet plan will pay out again
  • Another year is up, now your bunny is over 5 years old and he can't get insurance elsewhere because he is too old. Pet plan will still let you renew your insurance though because you started insuring him with them before he was 5 years old.

Some other companies it might go like this:

• You take out a policy with X insurance. As always it lasts 1 year.
  • One year is up so you renew with X insurance BUT they put an exclusion on your policy for condition A because now they treat it as a pre-existing condition!
  • Condition A comes back again, you have to pay for everything
  • Another year is up, now your bunny is over 5 years old and he can't get insurance with X insurance because he is too old, even though you started insuring him with them before he was 5 years old.

The reason I used X insurance above was because ExoticDirect said they DO cover your rabbits when they get old, as long as you started the insurance before they reached the set age and continued to renew it.

My concern about ExoticDirect is that they might not pay out for condition A in a second year. They said it would "depend on the circumstances".

With PetPlan as long as you renew your policy every year they will continue to cover your pet for life.

For example:

• You take out a policy with pet plan. As always it lasts 1 year.
  • One year is up so you renew with pet plan for another year
  • Condition A comes back again, but pet plan will pay out again
  • Another year is up, now your bunny is over 5 years old and he can't get insurance elsewhere because he is too old. Pet plan will still let you renew your insurance though because you started insuring him with them before he was 5 years old.

Some other companies it might go like this:

• You take out a policy with X insurance. As always it lasts 1 year.
  • One year is up so you renew with X insurance BUT they put an exclusion on your policy for condition A because now they treat it as a pre-existing condition!
  • Condition A comes back again, you have to pay for everything
  • Another year is up, now your bunny is over 5 years old and he can't get insurance with X insurance because he is too old, even though you started insuring him with them before he was 5 years old.

The reason I used X insurance above was because ExoticDirect said they DO cover your rabbits when they get old, as long as you started the insurance before they reached the set age and continued to renew it.

My concern about ExoticDirect is that they might not pay out for condition A in a second year. They said it would "depend on the circumstances".

Hmm its all so confusing.. but that is where insurance companies make their money... making it so hard to understand that people are paying out and not having the cover they think they have.

I assume that is why Exotic Direct is so much cheaper than Petplan... cos you are only getting half the service Petplan offers?

Well it's not half the service, they will still provide the same coverage in most cases, it's just the recurring diseases that I would be worried about. They also only cover a percentage of the costs of referrals. If you want the best coverage and best peace of mind then I think PetPlan are clearly the best option.

Back