• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molting problems... advice needed!

janeyS

New Kit
Hello!
I have a six year old, male, (quite large) french lop... Since he was a baby, hes always had problems molting. He constantly molts all year round. Is this normal?
He had a brother that died afew years ago and I dont remember him ever having the same problem.
I'm aware that I need to keep on top of grooming him but it just seems impossible. It seems before the new hair has a chance to grow through properly theres another layer of hair waiting to grow through!! He always looks patchy and like hes been pulled through a bush backwards! After I've picked him up to brush him (he hates being picked up) he wont come near me for days / weeks! Its obviously very stressful for him too, so I dont like to destress him too much but its something that has to be done.
Does anybody else have this problem? I just dont know how to get on top of the problem... thanks :)

Hello!
I have a six year old, male, (quite large) french lop... Since he was a baby, hes always had problems molting. He constantly molts all year round. Is this normal?
He had a brother that died afew years ago and I dont remember him ever having the same problem.
I'm aware that I need to keep on top of grooming him but it just seems impossible. It seems before the new hair has a chance to grow through properly theres another layer of hair waiting to grow through!! He always looks patchy and like hes been pulled through a bush backwards! After I've picked him up to brush him (he hates being picked up) he wont come near me for days / weeks! Its obviously very stressful for him too, so I dont like to destress him too much but its something that has to be done.
Does anybody else have this problem? I just dont know how to get on top of the problem... thanks :)

Yes for some rabbits it is i'm afraid. Our Nino is the same. It occurs most commonly in rabbits that live as houserabbits with constant temperature, as this is the main trigger for moults to begin. If the temperature remains pretty constant all year around then the moult doesn't quite happen quickly enough before the next one appears. Nino always has about 3-4 moult lines on his back all year around! :roll::lol:

The best way to get on top of the problem is to brush bunny daily, particularly during heavy moulting periods. We've recently (few days ago) acquired the cat version of the 'furminator' brush which so far seems to be removing more than we normally do, in the hopes we can cut down to every other day. However, it has sharp prongs and great care should be taken, we do not use it around the chest and face just in case bunny flinches, instead for this area we continue to use the rubber zoom groom - this is an excellent brush as well.
If you brush your bun daily, and at the same time every day, bun will learn to adapt to it as part of their routine and will become hopefully more relaxed with the whole thing. Feeding some nice leaves/veggies whilst you brush or giving a nice reward of food afterwards can help to reinforce that it is a positive thing. :)

I try and distract with food when trying to help with the moult.. three of my bunnies tolerate it... one is a nightmare and is always just out of my reach.... he is the shyest of my bunnies.

Yes for some rabbits it is i'm afraid. Our Nino is the same. It occurs most commonly in rabbits that live as houserabbits with constant temperature, as this is the main trigger for moults to begin. If the temperature remains pretty constant all year around then the moult doesn't quite happen quickly enough before the next one appears. Nino always has about 3-4 moult lines on his back all year around! :roll::lol:

The best way to get on top of the problem is to brush bunny daily, particularly during heavy moulting periods. We've recently (few days ago) acquired the cat version of the 'furminator' brush which so far seems to be removing more than we normally do, in the hopes we can cut down to every other day. However, it has sharp prongs and great care should be taken, we do not use it around the chest and face just in case bunny flinches, instead for this area we continue to use the rubber zoom groom - this is an excellent brush as well.
If you brush your bun daily, and at the same time every day, bun will learn to adapt to it as part of their routine and will become hopefully more relaxed with the whole thing. Feeding some nice leaves/veggies whilst you brush or giving a nice reward of food afterwards can help to reinforce that it is a positive thing. :)

Thank you both for replying...

I'm glad I'm not the only person to have a rabbit suffering this, I thought it was something I was doing! I had thought about the constant temperature thing but Lionel (my rabbit!) lives in the garden all year round, come rain or shine (he will happily sit in the middle of the garden when it snowing, silly rabbit!!) so in theory he should feel / be aware of the diffferent seasons... I dont know... I will, as you say, have to make sure he is brushed everyday, even if he doesnt like it!! Unfortunately I'm waiting for a back operation so running around after a rabbit isnt the best thing but needs must and all that!!

I have purchased so may different brushes over the years(!), Im pretty sure I have one that will do the job! I know the brush you are talking about, I think we have the cat version and I have to be very careful when brushing around his hind as he hates it! Because the whole experience is so stressful anyway, I try to steer clear of it and just use the comb and metal pronged brush.
He refuses to eat when hes being brushed so trying to entice him with food probably wont help... he'll just have to lump it!!! :)

Back