• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on decorating plz. . .

Hucklebunny

Young Bun
Hi :wave:

I have a house bunny, Marley who lives under my stairs (that sounds awful

but it is opening into my hallway and he has all the space to himself) i would
post pics if i knew how . . :oops:

Anyway i'm having my house redecorated over the coming week and i am

just worrying about paint fumes etc. I will obviously keep the house very

well ventilated and Marley will never be incontact with any paint.

Does anybody have any experience with decorating 'around' their house

bunny?

Thank You x x

huckle_bunny

Last edited:
Hiya, I have never decorated around our house bunnies.. Myself and my OH did however decorate the whole of our old house while we had 9 fancy rats, 3 ferrets, 2 large dogs, and one very old budgie. All of whom were either free to roam about the house or had 'out time' at various points of the day..

A couple of our female rats were rescues and had respiratory problems that they were recieving treatment for at the time. We were also worried about the fumes and so talked with our vet about what we should do and how far away from the room being painted did the animals have to be, eg next room/up-stairs if we painted downstairs and vice versa/out of the house compleately we also asked how long they should be out of a room that had been painted was it just till it dried or did the fumes take longer than that to dissapate?

He told us that with regular paint (ie not gloss) the doors on the room you are painting should be closed no animals allowed into that room and the windows in the room being painted should be opened, he also said maybe to block up the gaps in doors with draught excluders. Also that if the room/hall way you are paining is next to the animals try not to walk in and out of the room letting the fumes out.
For gloss paint he suggested making sure the animals were secure while painting and that the room they were in was well ventillated too and the animal room doors kept shut while glossing on the same floor were shut as well as the above precautions ofc
With regards to the time frame with regular paint its safe for the animals to go back in when the paint is compleately dry and the room does not smell like paint.
For the gloss he said at least 2-3 days

Hope this helps at all
Jen

Back