• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wasp Nest Pics

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
following on from here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=238660

pics of nest
1st one you can see how well hidden it was..take iunto account the open bits are where hubby was cutting when he suddenly said
" there's a lot of wasps round here..." then ran when he spotted the nest with a " few more " coming out to see what the disturbance was:lol:

waspnesta.jpg

2nd one close up..they are amazing things

waspnest.jpg

and 3rd one showing a few of the lodgers on the outside!

waspnestb.jpg

Last edited:
Such interesting pics. What a work of art built by the wasps.

How much rent are you charging for the sub-let of your garden?:lol:

we still can't make up our minds whether to destroy it or leave them until winter when they will die off naturally:?

I find it frightening! (In a good way!) it really is a very alien shape... how interesting.

I used to do the PR for Rentokil and the technician who was in charge of all the infestations said that wasps definitely had a "revenge" characteristic. Ie, they have what we would call "negative tendencies" and in his opinion, that qualified them to be exterminated.

I don't agree, but it was interesting it hear his perspective on it.

oooh thats quite cool :) and frightning :shock:
i got stung 5 times on my neck and shoulder today by 2 wasps :cry::cry: :evil::evil::evil: its :censored:ing sore :evil:

Personally I would leave it, being aware should enable you to avoid it and soon enough as you say it will die off naturally. If it were indoors or they were accessing your home environment then yes without a doubt I would have it removed, not sure that would bother me though, they let you take the pics so they aren't too phased, if they were going to attack I think your hubby would have got it when trimming the hedge. I have a couple of bee's nests and one is right next to the patio, they buzz about sometimes but, don't bother me at all, wasps I know are a bit different in that they can sting and still live, if they are bothering you when eating outside etc or becoming a prob you might have to act but, if not I would leave them, they are struggling to find suitable sites for habitats as are the bee's.

Good pics. I had 3 nests last year and wanted to leave them, but (apparently) from August onwards they are no longer 'useful' in the garden and its more justified to have them destroyed. I was happy to leave mine but when one stung Georgie on the ear for no reason, I decide they had to go.... it cost £50or £55 per nest (a fair bit cheaper than what the council charge), a lot of Piriton and a lot of ice lollies! :wave:

great pics.probably an odd question but when its empty could you get an inside view of nest?id love see how its formed inside:)

great pics.probably an odd question but when its empty could you get an inside view of nest?id love see how its formed inside:)

So would I which is one reason I'm putting off destroying it..for now they are safe..but we may have to get rid soon:?

So would I which is one reason I'm putting off destroying it..for now they are safe..but we may have to get rid soon:?

If the nest isn't in the way or near to something you use often I would leave it. We had to destroy one last year which was above the front door. Wasps hate vibration so it had to go. Door slammed - wasps went on the attack :shock:

Ideally we would like ti gone as want to remove shrubs near it
my only real worry about leaving it for a couple of months until it is naturally empty is the dogs.
They both go through the shrubs regularly and I wonder of the wasps may attack them..especially as their nest has now been disturbed and left more open?:?i

Eeep. Those are fantastic pics and you can't help but admire their amazing handiwork! :D xx

But.... I have no idea what I'd do about it..... :? We had some weird 'tunnelling' wasps but there weren't many so we didn't do anything about them. I guess a lot depends on how big the garden is etc. and how likely the dogs are to go near it. I've actually thought about buying a 'waspinator' to keep them away as I don't like wasps.

I love bees and encourage them (though I found witnessing a whole swarm of them as I did not long ago rather daunting and I did dash indoors! :shock:) but wasps are different. They can just go on and on stinging.

Ooooo that is a baby one, be prepared for it to grow considerably over the next month. Biggest one we ever removed was nearly 3ft across from inside someones loft.

Back