• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tomorrow I start work on the aviary for the bunnies P12 progress report pics.

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:D:D:D

It's quite fitting as it's 6 years ago tomorrow since I became a bunny mummy for the first time when Bungee Bun came to live with me (in her three foot 'massive' double hutch :oops::oops:). She did get an upgrade fairly soon after though.

I'm embarrassed to say I started the aviary project about 4 years ago, Bungee and Scrabble have passed 2 years ago so never got to see it finished:cry::cry: but... I have a week and a half holiday and I am determined, hell or high water that I'm going to finish this project properly (when I have knocked down the half-hearted shanty town that I built way back).

I have in my possession:
* A 50 foot x 1m roll of 19g weld mesh
* 6 of 2m x 3m sheets of twin wall polycarbonate for the roof (don't know how the hell I'm going to fix them on but I'm sure inspiration will strike :lol::lol:
* 3 of 2m x 3m 1mm think bendy polycarbonate sheets.
* Guttering and a down pipe to take the excess water to the drain.
* Not enough wood but I'll be going to the builder's merchants with a list tomorrow.
* Loads of wood stain in various pretty colours :roll:
*Various screws, nails, hinges etc.
Various 'lectric screwdrivers, drills etc.

I'd better check the weather forecast then ... I've not had a decent holiday in years so I really want to make this one count.

I've an area about 17 ft x 7 ft to work on.

:oops::oops:Sorry if you've nodded off :oops::oops: but please bear with me because I'm very excited about undertaking this mission. :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Better late than never! Good luck with your project, sound like you've a busy week "off" ahead. Daily update with pics would be great.:)

Thanks. I'll try to remember the camera. I'm having to get mental pictures of it finished to get me through the pain barrier of putting it together :lol::lol:

Good luck! :wave:
Is Miss mini lop with you yet? (Sorry for being nosey.:oops:)

"Little Dot"is still with her Auntie Denise and Uncle Mark as I had a bit of a meltdown last Saturday with Rudy having to go to the emergency vet. Hopefully she's joining us on Saturday, emergencies permitting.

"Little Dot"is still with her Auntie Denise and Uncle Mark as I had a bit of a meltdown last Saturday with Rudy having to go to the emergency vet. Hopefully she's joining us on Saturday, emergencies permitting.

I hope that Rudy is feeling better!
(I also hope that autie Denise and uncle Mark will let you have little Dot!:lol:)

Good luck with it, I know a little how you feel because my husband has just built one from scratch for Fay & Kenco (now feeling a little inadequate because you are doing yours yourself and I havent really helped him at all :oops::oops::oops:).

If you want to see ours its in the housing section, its not a proper aviary as it isnt full height but is a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.

Good luck with it and remember to post lots of pics as you go along!!

Lucky bunnies!! :D

Good luck with it, I know a little how you feel because my husband has just built one from scratch for Fay & Kenco (now feeling a little inadequate because you are doing yours yourself and I havent really helped him at all :oops::oops::oops:).

If you want to see ours its in the housing section, its not a proper aviary as it isnt full height but is a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.

Good luck with it and remember to post lots of pics as you go along!!

Lucky bunnies!! :D

I've just been looking at your thread and wishing I hadn't posted this as your creation looks so good, mine could be a dog's breakfast by comparison :oops::oops: Still, the shanty town I built 4 years ago hasn't blown down in even the strongest wind so there is some hope :lol::lol:

Sooo, it's been tiddling it down since about midday and the forecast for the next week is showers for most of the day all of the days :roll:

Because of that I need to work under shelter as much as possible so won't be demolishing the 'shanty town' until I have to. I've cleared some space to work by collapsing the Happy Hutch (I had to dismantle the run anyway as I'll be standing the hutch on legs inside the aviary so there will be more room. I can't believe how hacky the floor was (I'll be replacing it with a new piece of plywood, and fitting vinyl this time). Some of the screws in the floor were rusted because of the weewee :lol::lol:

I've bought loads of bits today including 1.26kg of nails at about £2.50 per kg, there's loads of them. Fencing staples were about £2 a kg theres hundreds of them for £1.60 :D I'm so glad we have a proper builder's merchant - they will also cut my bits of wood to size which will save loads of time and you only pay for what you need :D

The "annex" of the "shanty town" is staying as I made that later when I'd got the hang of joining bits of wood together :lol: and I'm now fastening good mesh to the inside of it as the old stuff is poor quality.

Hopefully I'll do some pictures when I've made some progress (or a picture of a bag of nails etc as I spent £40 on the metal bits alone :shock:)

Well, it's been a lot of hard work and I've only 3 days left. I've got the roof to do (major job), all the meshing and making some doors, I doubt I can finish it all so I'm going to concentate on getting one part finished for Elijah and Dot to move into.

It's a tip, I know, I demolished a make shift greenhouse that was on the site so all the 'stuff' still needs storing until I get a proper greenhouse and shed at some point in the future.

PICT3562.jpg

PICT3559.jpg

It's made up of three separate chambers, the one partially roofed is just short of 6ft x 6ft and the other two are 5 ft by 7.5 ft, they can be divided or used all as one run.

It looks good,I love the colour. Cant wait to see how it develops.

It takes ages doesnt it? My OH did ours and it took a lot of time and effort but v pleased with the results.

Thanks everyone

It takes ages doesnt it?

It flipping does! I knew it wouldn't be easy but it's just been exhausting. At least I've discovered electric screwdrivers - when I made the original effort I did it all without electricity - that did hurt my muscles.

The colour is Cuprinol Garden Shades - Lavender.

Sounds like it might be raining most if not all of tomorrow :roll:

Back