• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My buns are worrying me (long, sorry)

Sproggie14

Warren Scout
My buns are causing me worries at the mo and I wondered if anyone can offer any insight or advice?

Potted history - I adopted Kitkat (female, neutered) in December 2005 when she was thought to be about 18 months. So she is now 6, possibly a little more. She lived outside originally with her hubby Shadow until he got ill (still don't know what it was) and they moved indoors. When he died we adopted Ginger and they lived together indoors until he passed away in May this year (probably due to dental issues). Then Wynston joined us and he and Kitkat have been living happily indoors together since. Wyn is much younger (only about 2 himself) and this seemed to bring Kitkat out of herself a little.

When I've weighed Kitkat at the vets previously she was around 2kg. When Ginger was ill I invested in some larger scales so I could weigh the bunnies myself and found that she had gone down to about 1800g. I carried on monitoring this for a few weeks and she continued to lose little by little until, at the end of June, she was just over 1700g.

Now, I usually restrict the bunnies pellets to try and encourage them to eat their hay and grass so at this point I decided to try giving her the full recommended amount of pellets a day in two meals. In one week she went from 1710g to 1830g! I was pleased to have found a way to get her weight back up but still concerned about the impact on her teeth so I looked into the best pellet for teeth and decided on the Oxbow Bunny Basics. It took a bit of sourcing and then we had delivery issues so in the meantime I went for a middle ground amount of pellets. Two weeks later (15th July) she was back to 1770 :(

About this time I noticed some changes in the bunny room. The place was being trashed during the day, litter thrown around the room, wees in odd places that sort of thing. I began to worry that someone wasn't right as Ginger did the same thing when he was ill. They also stopped eating their hay and grass. I initially put this down to it being the bottom of the bag and a bit dusty.

Anyway, the Oxbow arrived and we started weaning them over from their old food to the new. They weren't impressed. To monitor what they ate we fed them exclusively from a bowl, whereas normally they have their pellets in a treat ball.

I weighed Kitkat again on the 25th July and she was down to 1640g :shock: and now felt noticeably thin. So we went to the vets the following day and they checked her teeth which seemed ok and felt her abdomen which felt a bit empty but no obvious issues and listened to her tummy which all sounded fine too.

So we agreed with the vet that we would put them back on purely the old food and see how her weight responded.

Since then Kitkat is eating her old food but she's not right. The hay and grass are still untouched by either of them despite being fresh batches. Kitkat seems to only really eat when encouraged to do so, eg by me handing food to her, rattling her bowl or topping it up with some dried herbs. She spends most of her time in the house area and is generally subdued and disinterested in everything. But there are no obvious signs of anything wrong, no apparent symptoms.

Wyn seems quieter too and less keen to be touched. He is also ignoring hay and grass. He is moulting terribly and has been for a few weeks so I don't know if this is linked in somehow. He lost weight along with Kitkat for a few weeks in June but has been gaining weight steadily since their pellet rations increased and is now a healthy 2300g.

One other thing to mention, we got a group of guineas at the end of May. Although the bunnies were used to fresh food before that, the volume and variety has increased considerably since they arrived. There hasn't been any diarrhoea or anything which would suggest to me that this is causing them any issues (indeed they go mad for it, even now) but I thought I should mention it in case it's relevant.

So, sorry it's so long and waffly but I'm a bit stumped. I don't know if I'm being an overly panicky Mum or if we have a problem. I don't understand why they've stopped eating their hay and grass and why someone is trashing the room. Why is Kit only really eating when encouraged? Perhaps the treat ball stimulated her to eat and she's bored with eating from a bowl? Is this whole thing just a strop caused by me trying to change their food or is there something else going on?

I weighed her again yesterday and she'd gained 10g which I guess is going in the right direction. If there's no major improvement then she'll be back to the vets on Monday but I'd be really grateful for any thoughts and ideas anyone might have in the meantime.

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice, you have already done everything I would do myself, however I couldn't read and run as KitKat looks just like my bridge bunny Flopsy :):love::love::love::love:

Hope someone comes along who is more help. Your bunnies are beautiful x

Oh dear you poor thing!

Personally to me it is screaming "teeth" even if there was nothing obvious when the vet looked last time. It is extremely hard for a vet to get a thorough look at all the teeth in a conscious rabbit. When Santa had her teeth done earlier this year there was a spike that had grown out sideways and embedded in her cheek. There is no way my vet could have seen that conscious, so you can never be 100% certain what is going on without a full examination under a GA.

I'm sure other people will suggest other things, but I would be thinking about a blood test to check organ function (partly to see if the weight loss can be attributed to anything else and partly because it's a good idea before a GA especially in an older bunny) followed by a GA to take a proper look at the teeth and do a dental if necessary, assuming that your vet doesn't find anything else suspicious in the meantime.

I do hope you are able to get to the bottom of the problems for your little one x

I hope someone can help you soon!

It's probably a good sign that they still go mad for veg, at least they're eating something!

Have you tried lots of different "flavour" hays? ReadiGrass goes down impossibly quickly here, although I don't think they're allowed loads. Burns Green Oat hay is also highly recommended, as are the Alfalfa King brands of hay - although I don't give feed their Alfalfa Hay as Alfalfa is quite high in calcium for adult buns.

The Hay Experts and Animal Magic Pet Supplies do small sample bags of different types of hay which you could get and try and tempt your buns into eating, but I'm afraid that's all I can suggest. Health issues are not my forte, especially not mystery ones!!

xxx

I suggest a full teeth examination under GA. Teeth are responsible for this kind of issues 90% of the times.

Thanks guys, yes I wondered about the possibility of hidden teeth issues too. A blood test for organ function was suggested as a next step if there's no major improvement. Hay wise they have readigrass, excel herbage, chamomile herbage and birch bark herbage and they're turning their twitchy little noses up at the lot, even though they usually love their readigrass :?

I have two vets, a local one who is very good, and a not so local who is excellent. The latter was away this week so I'm thinking I might take her to see him next week and see about bloods and/or an exam under GA/dental.

Thank you for reading my essay and taking the time to reply :D

Back