• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with hayfever...

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Do you find the better your hay the worse your hayfever? Every time I handle the hay at the moment my nose runs and my throat and neck itch.

I'm going to have to go back to one a day anti-histamine I think. *itch* *itch* *itch*

I've not had bunnies (and therefore hay in the flat!) very long, but I'm beginning to think I'm allergic to timothy hay. It doesn't seem to make me sneeze any more than usual but I'm getting quite localised eczema on my right hand and arm - the one that takes the hay out the bag!

I've been using it less for a few days because it's been running low (ran out this morning, my buns now hate me for forcing meadow hay on them!) and the eczema is getting better! I can put up with it though as it's the only hay they'll eat properly.

I find that I'm OK on the day to day use of hay (litter trays and topping it up etc). However, when I clean them out properly once a week (and replace all the hay), I sneeze and itch for hours afterwards.

I'm the same but it's with the large bale of hay I get them. The Timothy hay seems ok. Mostly when they get cleaned out though or when I fluff up their hay stack for them!!:roll:

Guineapigs are worse though because not only am I allergic to their hay but even more allergic to them!! Have to take my inhaler after working with the piggies!!:shock:

I've not had bunnies (and therefore hay in the flat!) very long, but I'm beginning to think I'm allergic to timothy hay. It doesn't seem to make me sneeze any more than usual but I'm getting quite localised eczema on my right hand and arm - the one that takes the hay out the bag!

I've been using it less for a few days because it's been running low (ran out this morning, my buns now hate me for forcing meadow hay on them!) and the eczema is getting better! I can put up with it though as it's the only hay they'll eat properly.

Could you use gloves? I used to use gloves with an old bale cos it had some thistles in but recently it's been better quality. I don't get eczema (well not anywhere on my hands) but I did get these white raised bumps for a while the other day after I moved the bale from car to garage.

I find that I'm OK on the day to day use of hay (litter trays and topping it up etc). However, when I clean them out properly once a week (and replace all the hay), I sneeze and itch for hours afterwards.

I filled up the tub from the bale today and then put some in their box and itch, itch, itch. I'm not too bad when just taking it from tub to tray as long as I don't fiddle around trying to get it even too much.

This years fresh cut of hay is done awful things to my nose, face and eyes. I can't even get away from it given bunnies live in my bedroom :lol:

This years fresh cut of hay is done awful things to my nose, face and eyes. I can't even get away from it given bunnies live in my bedroom :lol:

Mine do too!

Oh shoot I know I forgot to get something in the town. Anti-histamines! Gah!

Oh dear. I am in the middle of a breathing issue. I'm all wheezy and coughing a lot and finding it tough to breath properly. Surely if this was to do with the hay I would've been this bad the day I bought the bale home and lugged it down the drive and into the garage and then into the box? I've taken an anti-histamine about half an hour ago and normally they kick in by now but I'm still struggling.

Back