• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why is it that people want to get rid of their rabbits but/ Not sure what to do

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
When you offer to help, the minute they find out you run a rescue/sanctuary they suddenly don't need any help??

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I suspect it makes it more 'real' and that they are giving up their animal. It feels better of the conscience to send an animal to a new home as opposed to a rescue or a sanctuary. I guess its easier to imagine they are having a wonderful time. Its hard to do that if you know they don't have a forever home, or admit they are ill enough to be in a sanctuary.

That's pure speculation of course.

its because they think that they will be investigated I think, the girl I helped rehome those nethies was really worried because she thought that Kate was the RSPCA, she had nothing to worry about they were all kept clean and safe.

Yeah its amazing how many people suddenly don't want a rescue rabbit when they hear there is a homecheck involved as well :?

I am talking really about the free ads I get sent on here. I was sent one yesterday that I did have concerns about. I rang them this morning and asked if they were still looking for a home. They said yes, I mentioned that we were a sanctuary during the conversation and all of a sudden they had other people coming to view them this morning :?

This has happenend so many times in the past with free ads, you would think people would be pleased that someone with some knowledge wants to help them and get their rabbits the best possible home :?

Yeah its amazing how many people suddenly don't want a rescue rabbit when they hear there is a homecheck involved as well :?

Yes, a lot of people are not comfortable.

That said, when I had to have mine before I started volunteering I was in a right state and terrified I would have my bunnies taken away (not for any logical reason, just because its a deep seated fear). Obviously all was completely fine as everyone but me knew it would be, so I can understand that fear.

It is hard to understand except some people may be worried the pets would end up being PTS as know some rescues do this if no space:(

We have the problem with people not wanting to give a donation for incoming animals..which could be another reason?

What annoys me is on the phone they will agree to giving you something..then when I go to collect the buns they suddenly "don't have any money"..how can you then walk away and leave rabbits in a place with a tiny hutch, no handling, never been given hay or veg and are not wanted..:cry:

Or in the case of free ads, they may be hoping to get some money for them even if advertised as free:?
and agree the reporting them to higher authorities may be on some minds

Its so sad, the amount of people that I try and talk out of going to PAH or selling their buns to petshops, as soon as I mention rescues they seem to back away a bit. :cry:

I think it's a combination of things. If they care about them at all, they will probably want to give them to another home, rather than to a rescue, in case the rescue can't find a home for them. In reality, we know that the rescue will probably care for them much better than many pet homes, plus will usually find a better one anyway.

Also, they might be worried of disapproval for the living conditions etc of the animal, that they hope they won't get from elsewhere.

I never thought about them being reported. I haven't ever reported anyone so it never entered my head. i guess that was a reason. I had't even discussed money with them. I was just explaining that the babies would get really good homes as they would be homechecked etc, and then she said someone else was comign to look at them :?

This was supose to be urgent as the owner was unexpectedly taken to hospital :?

Thanks for trying though. I hope the lady comes around or that she gives them to someone who is at least knowledgeable about caring for them, given the circumstances. :(

Me too, I am just worried that they are going to become some schoolkids holiday project, until they get bored with them :(

Steve is such a hero :lol: He rang the lady this morning and is collecting the bunnies on Sunday, so watch this space :D:D:D

I am so relieved they are going to be safe :)

Hmmmmmmmmm not sure what to do now. I think she has told us a pack of lies. I said to Steve I thought she was a breeder trying to off load and had made up a sob story. But after speaking to her he thought she sounded genuine. Now we have had a text offering us a lot more rabbits as she is cutting down her stock :roll: So don't really want to take these bunnies any more....

Hmmmmmmmmm not sure what to do now. I think she has told us a pack of lies. I said to Steve I thought she was a breeder trying to off load and had made up a sob story. But after speaking to her he thought she sounded genuine. Now we have had a text offering us a lot more rabbits as she is cutting down her stock :roll: So don't really want to take these bunnies any more....

:shock::shock: Thats outrageous

That's a really difficult situation. :(

I personally would take them only if you could take them all, and the hutches. Leave her with nothing so she can't breed. I'm sure other rescues would help to close down a breeder. But exactly how many rabbits are we talking? :(

That's a really difficult situation. :(

I personally would take them only if you could take them all, and the hutches. Leave her with nothing so she can't breed. I'm sure other rescues would help to close down a breeder. But exactly how many rabbits are we talking? :(

she didn't say she was closing down, just reducing numbers. The two we were going to take ( who belong to a sick friend :roll:) would not have been able to stay here permanently so we would have been looking for rescues to help in the future when I know they are already really full. So I can't ask rescues to take even more. There are no hutches available plus we couldn't fit them in the car.

But a little part of me says, those poor rabbits didn't ask to be born and live there and need a good home as much as any other rabbit. But there are also 1000's more in the same situation :?

But a little part of me says, those poor rabbits didn't ask to be born and live there and need a good home as much as any other rabbit. But there are also 1000's more in the same situation :?

But taking them frees up space for her to breed more. Although it is hard, I would be very much inclined to take back your offer. :(

Back