• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling indoor bunny mummeh's .......

Bitzy

Mama Doe
........how did you convince your OH's that having indoor buns was the way forward??

I'd love for Dizzi n Rascal to come indoors in winter but so far all I've had from OH is - there's no room!

He loves them bunnies and I think that maybe with a bit of persuasion there's half a chance he'll cave in and say yes!

So, what tactics did you use and do you have any top convincement tips!?!? lol

Jo x

i took him with me to pick mylo up and promised i will do all the cleaning, etc.

It didnt take much persuation really, once he saw how happy i was cuddlin mylo there was no way he wasnt gona let me have him!!! :lol:

O/h had no choice,Ozzie just refuses to eat if I put him outside.I've tried and tried so the threat of big vet bills did the trick.:D

It was my house at the time so I just bought Pierre :lol: and after the 1st day they were buddies straight away :)

I went along the route of the good old "if you love me..." guilt trip! That and promises that they're really easy to litter train and I'll do all the cleaning. Turns out mine aren't so keen on the litter training though!

When we brought Louie home I set up the metal puppy pen in the conservatory for Louie to sleep in at night.

Hubby said "Oh is he living in the house?" :lol::lol:

When we got Blue it was Novemeber...and he was 8 weeks old. So it was too cold for him to live outside on his own.
He was supposed to move outside that spring......2 1/2 years later and my baby is still living inside :D At the moment he's spread out on the sofa dreaming :love:

So do most of you have just the one indoor bun?

Oh also, do you just let them free range say in the living room or do they have a 'pen' that they stay in during the day and just free range when you're home?

I have this vision in my head of them just free ranging in the living room all the time, sleeping on the sofa or the rug, having their litter tray, hay manger and food/water bowls in the corner and just generally doing what they want ......... or is that sooo far from the reality of indoor buns its untrue!?!

Oh also, do you just let them free range say in the living room or do they have a 'pen' that they stay in during the day and just free range when you're home?

I have this vision in my head of them just free ranging in the living room all the time, sleeping on the sofa or the rug, having their litter tray, hay manger and food/water bowls in the corner and just generally doing what they want ......... or is that sooo far from the reality of indoor buns its untrue!?!

I've only got Louie and that is exactly how he lives, as you have described! He has no pen or cage :D

It really does vary.
I have Blue and Marnie who are a bonded pair.
When there is someone home then they have free range of the house. Marnie spends a lot of her time at the top of the stairs and Blue on the sofa in front of the telly :roll: They have a poo box in the living room.
When we go out then they get shut in the kitchen, which is attached to the utility room. In the utility room they have their hutch (approx 6x3 ft) which has their other trays and water bottle in.
There is a baby gate inbettween the utility room and the kitchen, and when I'm cooking/sweeping/washing the kitchen floor then they can be shut in 'thier' room.
When we had Bea (foster) she lived in the spare bedroom. She had a dog crate with her tray and blankies in it, amd then there was a double height puppy pen kind of around the bed. she then used to come downstairs a coupe of times a week for a run around. We only had Blue then and he would be shut in the kitchen when she cane downstairs.
Hope that all makes sence :wave:

We have no garden so there really was no choice. But if I had known the sheer amount of work needed to isolate cables, etc. I would have thought more carefully. Luckily I didn't. ;-)
Before you bring your rabbit indoors make sure you can easily keep him out of harm's way and keep the stuff you don't want to be chewed out of his way! I found out that a thin rabbit wire net, albeit metal, is no match for an angry bunny!

I have two indoors! Plus 5 guinea pigs. It all started when the guinea pigs kept getting sick outdoors..they really were just not suited to the hot conditions in summer and cold conditions in winter. The vet advised that guinea pigs were better off indoors so this was my ammunition. The guinea pigs came indoors and we haven't had a problem since. Saved bucket loads in vet bills (which also helped when it came to trying to convince the not so enthusiastic :lol:).

When I decided that I had fallen in love with buns, after months of research we brang Charlee home. With the guinea pigs indoors, it just followed suit that Charlee would stay indoors (plus there are many reasons against outdoors). Noah came along and nothing has changed.

Unfortunately they don't have free range of the house - I wish they could, I can just imagine them sprawled out on the sofa or by the heater. With two dogs, also indoors, it just isn't possible. So I have a huge NIC condo in one of the rooms - the guinea pigs have the top two levels and Charlee and Noah have the bottom level. They (buns) then get free range of my room. I do spend quite a lot of time with them so they are not left out, but I do wish they could have more free range space throughout the house.

Louie likes sleeping in the middle of a doorway! We seem to spend all of our time stepping over him :roll:

Yeah that's the other thing I'm worrying about .... bunny proofing!

We don't have a lot of furniture in the living room but what we do have I'd like to preserve! lol

We have 2 x leather sofas, a small occasional table (with lamp on) then in one alcove we have a set of drawers and in the other the tv stand .... with LOTS of wires behind! Its a glass stand and has the Blu Ray box, Surround Sound box and V+ box on as well as the tv, hence so many wires! Oh and there's a rug in the middle of the room and a bowl with pretty lights in in the fireplace!

I would imagine the wires would be the biggest problem!!

Mind, I need to get him to agree first!!

They're currently in a 5½ ft x 2½ft double decker run with 24 hour access to a 12 ft x 5½ ft run so I wouldn't want to have to shut them up during the day after they've been used to having space to run around in whenever they want.

They're separated at the moment (double layer mesh down the middle of the hutch and run) but hopefully in about 6 weeks they can go back together (Rascal's already had his neuter and Dizzi's is booked in for a couple of week's time so hopefully around a month after that I can start rebonding) and then come inside in time for winter!!

All these plans have yet to be revealed to OH!!

x

Louie likes sleeping in the middle of a doorway! We seem to spend all of our time stepping over him :roll:

hehe - Biscuit likes doing draft excluder impressions! :lol:

When i picked up Biscuit, we'd always planned for him to be indoors, as we can interact with him so much more and he's such a happy bun.

My ammunition was that the fiancee would fall in love with him and see his personality more if he was indoors... our garden is too small to do anything in and as its rented, can't make any massive changes. Our landlady said she's happy for me to have any pets i like aslong as the house is as it was when i moved in :)

Guess i should paint over the chew marks on the corner of one wall :shock::lol:

Mylo is in his cage all day and i let him out morning for a bit of attention and hes let out at night when i get home from work. I feel guilty hes left in his cage all day but when we r there at weekends he normally just sleeps. I would love to let him free range all day but i dont trust him and our house isnt big enough to put up puppy pens or anythin, unless anyone has any suggestions?

It was actually my OH's idea to buy the rabbits and he wanted to get the two :D
We had talked about it but he said to just go for it.
Our two free range all the time they have an indoor hutch that they like to go in and out of door is always open though.

Mylo is in his cage all day and i let him out morning for a bit of attention and hes let out at night when i get home from work. I feel guilty hes left in his cage all day but when we r there at weekends he normally just sleeps. I would love to let him free range all day but i dont trust him and our house isnt big enough to put up puppy pens or anythin, unless anyone has any suggestions?

Could you attach a pen to his cage so he can get a bit of extra space? Or have you got a hallway that he could be confined to? They are usually much easier to bunnyproof than other rooms :D

I live alone so I have no-one to convince!

I have two indoor bunnies but at the moment they're restricted to their cage/pen until they're a bit more litter trained!

Back