• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit dragging hind legs!

dawn44

New Kit
I just bought my 8 wk old bunny. I had him 2 weeks before I noticed he was startung to drag his hind legs. I went to vet immediately, within 1 hr. They ran x-rays to make sure he didn't break his back or his hind legs. It wasn't wither of those things. I asked if he caould have an ear infection- so they gave me meds for that. In about 2 weeks, he started to be able to walk/hop about 3-4 feet before falling back onto his side again, like he was losing his balance, but hten I noticed some bumps on his fur. I took him to the emergency vet hospital at 11pm and they discovered about 5 warbles, which they removed. The next day I took him to my regular rabbit vet and she discovered about 16 more, all between his hind legs and groin area. They had to put him under to remove them all - this was mid June. When I picked him up, he was back to not being able to use his hind legs again. I try to exercise his hind legs every day by holding him and pushing gently up on his legs and lettingthem come back down. He seems to have strength in them as he pushes with them, but he can;'t seem to balance himself even to sit in a normal bunny stance. I have to bathe his hind end every day to try to keep his fur clean. He "slides" around the house, but looks so pitiful. Does anyone know what can be causing his inability to balance or support himself?! My vet seems to be at a loss. Any help would be appreciated!:cry:

It sounds a little like a parasite called EC. This causes neurological problems and it usually treated with something called Panacur which is a paste they have once a day. Many rabbits have EC but only some show problems. It is something that normally pops up when the immune system is low.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

It does sound like it could be EC, and whether it is or not, it wont do any harm to the bun to be treated for that anyways.

I have had two buns with EC. One developed Head Tilt and one had Hind Leg weakness. Both responded well to panacur. Inca (who had hind leg weakness) also had a course of steroid injections and antibiotic injections.

Ask your vet to research EC. Or even find an alternative vet if possible with more Rabbit knowledge?

hind leg weakness

Don't be too scared-- hind leg weakness can improve dramatically with treatment time and exercise.

If it IS EC, the Panacur treats the parasite, and Metacam drops, (anti-inflammatory), help treat the effects on the nervous system. Our two only got better when we used both together. Both now hop and run about almost completely normally-- just sometimes a tiny wobble. And both were dragging hindquarters .
They are prone to redeveloping the EC if stressed, I understand. Often apparently they have EC from around the time they are born, and it only comes out if they are very stressed, or in older years.--That's what we've been told, anyway. Good luck, Shebunkin

i have has buns dragging back legs too. It could be a number of things.
I was recently sent to a referral vet called Molly Varga. she is only one of 4 people in the uk who hold her qualifications. She speaks at conferences and writes books and journals. she is really good.
have a look at www.cheshirepet.co.uk.
it would probably take you less than 2 hrs to get to her. she is 5 mins off jct 18 on the m6. You could ask your vet to make a referral.
she is not overly expensive eithe.
good luck with your little one

My Stew went to see Francis harcourt brown at harrogate - she was fantastic as my vet wanted to put to sleep :(
She has a spinal curve quite bad and said it was a miracle she had ever walked normally. She is a lot better now but still drags a little and needs a bum wash every couple of weeks as she likes to sit in her wee :roll:
My insurance covered it all for me :)

Thank you ALL who replied

:wave: Thank you all for your help! I am taking "George" to see her tomorrow to have this checked out. I hope it is EC, since it is curable! That would be so great to see my little bun being able to be normal again! I will post an update after the vet appointment! :love: Thanks again.
PS- Yes, I am an American-Lancaster, PA, USA

dragging hind legs

:?"George's " EC test was negative! The vet assumed it would be since he does not seem to have any neurolohical issues. He has strength in his back legs and does kick them and respond to stimuli. He just wont sit up and walk/hop as he should. He had x-rays to confirm there wasn't any back problems as well as pelvic issues. We are at a loss! He has a massive callous/scab on his left hind end from dragging his rear on that side. No ear infections either. No Patuerella. I can make him sit properly, but afer a but, his hind end flops back onto his side adn he kicks himself across the floor to propel himself. He is quite fast, but it looks sad. If anyone knows of any other possibility, I would appreciate any input. Thanks to all who have helped! :love:

Update: My rabbit dragging hind legs!

:? not sure why I can't find my last post. "George" has been tested for EC, it's which was negative. Also thought to have Pasturella, not htat either. Had x-rays, no brooken back or pelvic problems. He has no nerve or muscle issues in his hind end. Actually has very strong legs and feet, just won't sit upright to hop properly, just keeps hind end flopped over to one side and kicks with his feet to propel himself, but gets very sore areas on hind end and feet from "burns" from dragging . Any other suggestions would be appreciated!! My vet is dumbfounded and is seeking advise from other "exotic" vets. George is growing normally and eating & drinking fine. Also no ear infection either.
Thank you to all who have offered advise and ideas!:love:

If there is no obvious damage seen on xray, and EC has been ruled out,my only guess would be something neurological?

Do you know where his litter came from, and where his siblings are - wonder if its a hereditary problem?

Its so frustrating not being able to get a diagnosis:cry:

If it's not EC then it's very likely to either be soft tissue damage, or nerve damage.

My boy Eddie, had hind leg paralysis, and is only just getting over it. If it's soft tissue then he should get better, but if it's nerves then he probably won't. Unfortunately the only way to find out which it is is to have an MRI which is costly, and unnecessary.

Just keep him comfortable. Lots of towels, and vet bed are perfect. Keep him in a confined space a lot of the time to give his muscles time to heal. He should have oral metacam once a day, as this is a pain relief and an anti-inflammatory.

I'm afraid only time will tell. Eddie was lucky, only being paralysed for a few weeks, but there's a bun on here who had hind leg paralysis for 5 months before regaining movement.

Good luck!

Getting a bit better

I follwed some of your advise and kept him in a more confined area of the house for the last week now. He seems to at least try and sometimes succeeds at sitting normally, though when he tries to move, he winds up falling back over and kicks, with both hind legs. This is an improvement since he hadn't even tried to sit normally for weeks. The vet ruled out neurological issues as well. I am hoping it's just soft tissue damage from the warbles that were in his inner thighs. They are so nasty- do your buns get them over in the UK?
Thanks!
Dawn

Warbles are usually seen on large animals like cows and horses. It's a type of parasitic fly that lays it's eggs on an animal (usually on the front legs), and the animal ingests the eggs, which hatch out into maggots which live under the skin.

I dont like the sound of them.......:shock::shock::shock:

My Lily Shane drags her back legs, but she has kyphosis of the spine..ClaireB1 has mentioned this already.She has a bunny with the same.
I think its a suck it and see job with your bunny.Keeping fingers crossed for you this side of the water.xxxxxxxxxx

Rabbit dragging hind legs

Well, we finally found out why George is dragging his hind legs. Apparently my vet has never seen this in a rabbit, seen it in dogs. When she was trying to steady him in a sitting position, she felt some "clicks" in his pelvis . His legs joints are slipping out of the pelvic socket, so he cannot support his hind end. She is speaking with an orthopedic surgeon to see if they can fix him. I would assume that we would have to wait until he is finished growing before it can be done, but I am not sure- I still am waiting to see if the surgeon will even attempt this on a rabbit (The ortho surgeon has only done this surgery on dogs)
Any input or feedback on this issue-please let me know

Back