• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can i hear some happy ending rescue stories? :D

CrazyGal330

Warren Scout
I am trying to create a little animation about a rabbit or rabbits, for a sort of RSPCA thing, and I was hoping to get some inspirational stories of rabbits in bad/terrible conditions being rescued and that are now doing really well ^_^ plus i figured it would be quite a heartwarming thread especially if pics of happy cute bunnies could be incorperated :D

ooh ok.
Well. My girly wasnt from a rescue at such, but. She wasnt being looked after at all. :( She was stuck in a tiny hutch, fed when she was rembered and had no hay. She was never handled and hated people, would lunge and scratch and bite at any given chance. It took me 6months to even be able to pick her up without me being bitten.

My friend was offered her, but couldnt hav eher so i did. It took her 'owner' a week to notoce she was gone. :cry: Her mother gave her to me.

This is the hutch she came in.
ChilledoutbunnyonBONFIRENIGHT.jpg

Where she lives now... with her husbun.
S7303516.jpg

Taken about half hr ago.
DSC05863.jpg

Her husbun.
S7303534.jpg

Not exactly a spectacular story (or even a true rescue story) but my Eli came from a breeder where there were dozens of rabbits in tiny hutches, inch deep in filth with food just chucked in on top of all the poo. The water bottles were so green I couldn't tell if there was water in them. There were mothers with their new litters on concrete with no bedding or shelter.
Eli is a french lop who I saw in a small indoor cage with another frenchie who it looked like had been bullying him. He had crusty eyes and a runny nose and was clearly unwell. Every time she lifted him out she scruffed him and dragged him kicking through the small hole in the top.

I phoned the rspca when I got home and they couldn't do anything as it wasn't a home address (it was a barn in a field), the council responsible for the area couldn't do anything either for the same reasons. So (and here's why it's not really even a rescue story) I went back and bought eli from her. :oops:

I took him to the vet when we got home and he went on a course of antibiotics, which did nothing at all, had his tear ducts flushed which helped a little, had some decongestant and antihisthamines and we've come to the conclusion he has allergies!

He's now a super happy, very affectionate rabbit who is bonded with my two girls and living in an 8x6 shed with a 6x7 run. They do a fantastic job of keeping his eyes clean for him and he loves to squish his way in to the middle of them!

My new girly Miss Money Penny is only a year old and has already had 3 litters. She was living in a 3rd floor flat in London with her two brothers, one of whom fell of the balcony and died. It took the rescuer ages to get the owner to surrender any of her buns. Poor Miss Money Penny was all skin and bone, and her tummy and nipples were all sore from all the babies. But now she's a healthy weight, happy, and has a handsome (though I say so myself) new buck in her life! :love: I have her full story from the rescue, and piccies of her now (but no befores, sorry) if you are interested?

I have two rescue bunnies. Herbie & Inca.

Herbie came from BARC, he had been taken into the rescue as his owners abandoned him in the garden and his teeth were sooooo overgrown. Here is his first thread.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=186783&highlight=herbie

Inca came from Bunnyhops, she was a RSPCA case and she was thought to have chemical burns on her back......here is her first thread.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187659

Well i seen them both on the site not long after my Kermit passed to the bridge. I just felt that i would like to help them both. So it was arranged for Herbie to travel up to bunnyhops and meet Inca. They stayed at bunnyhops for a bit, then i drove half way (2.5hours) to get them, Kay drove up to meet me.

Now they both live happily together in their own bedroom. Here they are here.
P1010537-1.jpg

I have two rescue bunnies. Herbie & Inca.

Herbie came from BARC, he had been taken into the rescue as his owners abandoned him in the garden and his teeth were sooooo overgrown. Here is his first thread.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=186783&highlight=herbie

Inca came from Bunnyhops, she was a RSPCA case and she was thought to have chemical burns on her back......here is her first thread.... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=187659

Well i seen them both on the site not long after my Kermit passed to the bridge. I just felt that i would like to help them both. So it was arranged for Herbie to travel up to bunnyhops and meet Inca. They stayed at bunnyhops for a bit, then i drove half way (2.5hours) to get them, Kay drove up to meet me.

Now they both live happily together in their own bedroom. Here they are here.
P1010537-1.jpg

Oh crikey!, I remember Inca, I saw her when I went to Kay's, she was such a mess, but just look at her now, has her back all healed?, she is so lucky to have found her way to you, well done for adopting her

Oh crikey!, I remember Inca, I saw her when I went to Kay's, she was such a mess, but just look at her now, has her back all healed?, she is so lucky to have found her way to you, well done for adopting her

Now i actually don't think she was burned with chemicals. She has deformed 'woman bits' and no tail. Basically i think it was severe urine scauld, so either just total neglect or with someone that just didnt know how to manage the issue.

I have to clean her underneath twice a day, and put fusciderm cream on, but she is so much better than she was. She is definately a happy bunny!

Her story does remind me of Lily-Hope a bit!!

These stories are just so sweet.....we are not a bad bunch, taking in these waifs and strays :):)

Fay was adopted from the RSPCA. She was found as a stray dumped in a field in a box with some other rabbits, some were believed to be her babies. She was the best mother in the world, because, although she was starving, she looked after those babies until they were found. She was found with mastitis and was skinny and had lost a lot of her fur. She was also carrying another litter. She was almost certainly dumped with the other bunnies by a breeder. She had to have the unborn litter terminated.

Over several months she gained weight and the mastitis was treated. Her fur has also grown back too.

We adopted her in October 09 to be bonded with Starbuck, who was also a stray that was handed in to the vets. He is a deaf bunny with dental problems and tear duct problems. Unfortunately the bond didnt work out but they have both been living happily as single bunnies.

Fay jumps on our bed at the weekends and is very independent and inquisitive. She wolfs her dinner down like there is no tomorrow - partly we think because she had spent so much time worrying where food was going to come from. This spring she began to lose some fur again - we think perhaps she was remembering the stress of this time last year.

When the RSPCA lady came after she had been with us four months, she couldnt believe the change in her. She is so healthy and happy.

Three weeks ago we took Fay to be bonded at our local rescue, and she is now totally loved up with an older man, Kenco, who looks after her. They are very happy and you would never know what she had experienced.

Except we do. Which is why we whisper in her ears how much she is loved and how she will never come to any harm ever again, and that she will always live safely with us.

Here she is:

c1d60f11.jpg

51501ef8.jpg

And with Kenco:

f5272925.jpg

Any my fave pic of her:

5d8b4462.jpg

It's great to read that there is hope out there for bunnies who've been mistreated. It sort of restores my faith in humanity. :love:

Back