• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend...

Rose

Mama Doe
on Fruit and Veg for your rabbits and where do you buy it from?

I want to give mine a more varied range of V+F as Jack is fussy (a rabbit that doesnt like carrots much :roll::shock:)

And they are looking on the thin side although they get hay,pellets,apples carrots,

I want to work out a monthly budget.

thanks

I grow my own. I give them pak choi and celery a few times a week and then they get herbs daily. Doesn't work out much if you buy them. Probably £3 a week for a couple of rabbits :D

I suppose I spend about £10 per week on herbs/leaves/peashoots for Louie. I buy it from Sainsburys.

I have no idea what we spend on the rabbits as we tend to eat similar stuff to them!! We have also been growing some of our own and sometimes we give them stuff from the organic veg box we get delivered :oops: which is expensive but only if we are running low and dont want to have to pop to the shops!! :oops:

For 4 rabbits I spend approx 50p a week on carrots, and £2 - £3 on pots of herbs. The rest of the stuff I pick from the garden or I go out on bramble rambles.:)

For 4 rabbits I spend approx 50p a week on carrots, and £2 - £3 on pots of herbs. The rest of the stuff I pick from the garden or I go out on bramble rambles.:)

eeeek :shock: We get literally a massive carrier bag full of herbs for a pound from the greengrocers!

I spend about £5-10 for the two giants... they get bananas, apples, carrots, spring greens, cabbage, coriander, mint, basil, grapes, cauliflower leaves... loads of things! They do get a lot of kitchen veg waste too.. they are great compost bins :D

eta - its from a mixture of places, but usually Aldi, Tesco, asian Greengrocers and Waitrose

Last edited:
I spend about £10-£20 a week from aldi- super six on my 14 when i go shopping. I also get cawliflower leaves from the market for free when they are available, which is not as often as i would like. I have been feeding a high pellet diet, so i'm reintroducing more veg less pellets, with difficulty. They are now on a 10kg bag pellets per month. They were on 40kg+ of pellets monthly.

I suppose I spend between £2-£5 a week for 2. I usually buy reduced veg in the supermarket for my 2 buns, cheapskate I am :lol: but buns don't mind! I also grow herbs from seed for them (Basil, Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Oregano, Mint & Sweet Marjoram) and pick grass and dandelions from garden too.

About £3-£4. But we have herbs growing in the garden and I get them a lot of rabbit friendly weeds from next doors garden so that helps :D

If you are trying to work within a budget then I'd suggest growing herbs (eg parsley & mint are fairly bomb proof) & veg such as rocket, chard, spinach etc that you can just pick some leaves from but not actually have to pull the whole plant so it can continue to grow.
Feeding seasonally & locally helps - little point buying something thats been flown in from Kenya!
Green grocers are generally cheaper than the supermarkets. Often if you become a regular & the greengrocer knows its for buns then they will save you outer green leaves & the 'ugly' fruit & veg that no one else wants :lol: Handy seeing as buns only go by taste!
I also forage when I walk our dog - brambles, dandelions, willow leaves & branches, nasturshiams (sp?) are all pretty easy to find & identify.
Hope this helps. :)

eeeek :shock: We get literally a massive carrier bag full of herbs for a pound from the greengrocers!

I buy the pots cos I grow them on afterwards - my boys would get through a pot between each pair every day if I let them :lol:

After I've picked the best off I leave the pot to re-grow, so some weeks I don't have to buy any herbs. They like t pick the leaves off the plants themselves if I let them.

Only a couple of quid for our two I'd say. They never seem bothered about much variety, it's mainly cabbage / spring greens / curly kale / carrot. The odd grape / piece of apple thrown in.

I probably spend about £10 a week on my two.

They get a mix of stuff from Spring Greens, Carrots (with tops), savoy cabbage, broccoli, tenderstem broccoli, trimmed beans, mange tout, baby sweetcorn, fennel, pak choi, basil, flat parsley, curly parsley, dill, coriander and i maybe some more that i can't think of.

Maybe i spoil them just a wee bit, but they had a hard life before coming to me!

I probably only spend about £5 on apples, carrots and greens but alot of what Chanel eats I pick from the garden. I also give her any veggie leftovers and sometimes whats in the fridge for us to eat.

We get about 3 lots of spring greens, 50p a piece, about three pots of herbs, 50p each and then stuff from the garden/allotment and the odd different thing. So about a fiver between four per week. They also get the odds and ends of things we have - broccoli salks, cauli leaves mainly. I wish we had a greengrocer round here.

Probably £3/4. I try to get them the discounted stuff because the nearest supermarket to me is Sainsburys which can be quite dear at times!

Back