• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ears, Is this normal?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Woke up this morning to Rhias ears being lopped :shock: Thought they'd go back themselves throughout the day but they haven't. Do I take her to the vets? Only thing I can think of is an ear infection/ear mites? Any ideas? :?

How old is Rhia? How is she acting in herself?

An ear infection or mites could cause an ear to lop if there is no genetic involvement. So if she is an adult and fully grown then its worth a vet trip.

Daisy has started doing this over last 6 months she is 6 now took her to the vets and they can't find anything wrong she looks so silly as well as her ears are not long enough to lop :roll::lol::lol::lol:

Daisy has started doing this over last 6 months she is 6 now took her to the vets and they can't find anything wrong she looks so silly as well as her ears are not long enough to lop :roll::lol::lol::lol:

I know, It looks horrible! :lol: Sky-O, Shes 3 & a half, and absolutely fine - acting normal & just being Rhia, Shes the first to tell me if somethings wrong :roll: Might pop her down to the vets if they dont 'go right' soon X

My vet nearly laughed me out of the surgery when i asked why one of shadows ears has lopped and could it be something wrong with him healthwise? He seemed to think there was no health reasons a rabbits ears should flop. I still don't know what to do about it. Good luck with this. I'd just try some stuff for ear mites. I guess an ear infection would be treated with baytril which shadow is on- so i'll let you know if his goes back to normal and it may give you some indiction of if health can be involved in ear lopping :)

Mrs Nora's uppy ear lops when she's hot or really tired.

It went all loppy a few weeks ago when I gave them a few sticks to chew and she must've got tired of chewing, but didn't want to give up until they were all gone :lol:

One of Skye's ears lopped suddenly a while ago. I had a peer down it with the otoscope and couldn't see anything wrong but wasn't entirely satisfied...I took her to the vet "just in case" and it turned out she did have a very slight infection.

They gave her some eardrops (Canaural) and her symptoms were gone within 30 mins of the first dose! (Obvisouly I carried out the full course aswell.)

I'm so glad we nipped it in the bud rather than allowing it to get more serious, because a bad ear infection can be difficult to completely eradicate and cause all sorts of issues. Hope Rhia is ok x

Becki it could be the heat, Dominos ear has been lopped for nearly two weeks now. every now and then one is upright but 99% of the time they are both lopped, and this happens every single summer.

It has been very hot and if the ears are "prone" to lop, i.e if you have a helicopter eared bun etc, then the other one could lop in the hot weather.

Back