• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need your advice peeps! If we were to adopt from further afield how would I..

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
be able to try the bun out with Widget and Sprocket?

We both work during the week and most of our leave is already used up so could only travel at weekends, plus this weekend we are busy with a friend's birtheday etc, next weekend Ian's on call, weekend after will be my birthday party and the weekend after that I'm away. :?

We have a spare hutch if things went badly but no spare run so bun would be cooped up which is not ideal..

Last edited:
You need to ask yourself if you are willing to keep the rabbit if the bonding didn't work out with yours and make suitable provisions for this before you contact a rescue, most rescues will ask you what you will do if they didn't bond. If you are not sure then you would probably be better getting intouch with a local rescue and asking them to help you with the bonding.

Yeah honestly I wouldn't want to keep the bun separately (and would then need to get a friend for it) and after what happend to my last two would want to make sure the bun had at least the same level of accommodation that Sprocket and Widget now have and I don't think I've got the resources to maintain that. Plus we are also on standby to put Kath's buns up if she can't find a new house and I need to consider that Ian needs to care for them when I'm away. So I really think three permanent ones in the one house would be the max. Plus I always have them indoors in the evening so would have to split the time between the two and the one if they didn't get on, which I don't think I'd be happy with.

Woud it be possible to send your pair to a rabbit rescue and let the rabbit rescue find a rabbit that bonds into a trio? That way you wouldn't be bringing home a rabbit that wouldn't bond with yours, although, give I know you're looking for a lionhead, that may restrict the options of bunnies they can try.

Woud it be possible to send your pair to a rabbit rescue and let the rabbit rescue find a rabbit that bonds into a trio? That way you wouldn't be bringing home a rabbit that wouldn't bond with yours, although, give I know you're looking for a lionhead, that may restrict the options of bunnies they can try.

This is what i have done twice in the past and its worked :D

Okay need your advice peeps!

Regarding Scarlett. The way they want to work it is for us to bring our two down to meet her and if they get on after about 45 mins or so we can take her home with us. Given the rescue is at least 2 ½ hour’s drive each way and possibly more we’d be limited in when we could get down to do this and, more pertinently, how soon we could take her back if things don’t work out. We both have some time off from the 14th of this month which is the earliest we’ve got free because Ian’s on call this weekend.

Sprocket and Widget are booked in for their VHD vacs on the 14th so I wouldn’t want to stress them by taking them down on the Saturday. Sunday to Wednesday we’re both free, but then I’m away from Thursday until the Sunday. So, ideally Sunday or Monday could work, but basically if things went pear shaped after the first couple of days I’m not confident that Ian would know what to do if they started fighting when I’m away and we only have Gasket and Tappet’s old hutch and no spare run if things went wrong- obviously not ideal.

The only other time we have free is the bank holiday weekend, but the following weekend, Ian’s on call again so we’d probably have difficulty again getting her back to Essex if things went wrong. Also that’s assuming any of those dates would be of any use to the fosterer.

There’s also the litter that Sky-O posted about which are much closer to us, but it ounds like they won't be ready for a few more weeks. I had already enquired about this little essex bun before Sky-O posted about these new ones, and would feel really bad if we had to turn her down, but I really want to be sure I’m doing the right thing for everyone concerned.

Another complication is that from the 2nd October I’m in South Africa for three weeks, (Ian will be looking after then buns) so unless we can get one settled in fairly soon, given how many weekends we’ve got between now and then I’m wondering if it would be better to wait until I get back and then take it from there.

What do you think I should do? :?:(

Back