• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have some questions about hay & hay racks- sizes, fittings, daily amounts?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can anyone please post me some pictures of hay racks that they find adequete in size to dispense the daily amount worth of hay for one bun ?

Mine are tiny. I have one big one from zooplus that is a veg rack really, but my buns love throwing the hay racks around.

I want something secure and big enough to give the required daily quantity of hay for an medium sized bun.

Do they even do hay racks big enough to fit the daily amount worth of hay in ?

If you have the smaller racks- how many times per day do you fill them?

Thanks
Ambience x

I use the half moon flower baskets too. And I refill whenever there isn't a bunny in it! :roll:

DSCF2460.jpg

Same as the above 2 posters! Loads of room for hay in those!

ETA : I refill it twice aday even though it would hold enough for all day as mine eat more when its fresh.

Last edited:
I have a couple of small ones I got off ebay but at least half of it ends up on the floor and then they won't eat it cos they're fussy!

I used to use a string shopping bag for Sooty, held loads of hay and she had fun with it too as it used to swing round when she was eating :D

I use the half moon flowers baskets as well and refill whever needed. The only problem is although its cute, the bunnies sit in the basket and go to the toilet in it, typical:roll:

I bought three hay racks from PAH and mine completely ignored them and ate from the floor and litter trays - not toileted on end the other end - so I now buy baskets for hay they love em, they eat from them and they throw them around when empty sometimes they empty them just to get fresh I think:lol: I am a bit OCD about them being full of hay - this is a good one I ordered for Ness yesterday as she has now chewed her old willow one to smitherines
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Bow...et.139.html?osCsid=abiu8nu2uht5ml9dkba725scq2

I use the baskets too, fill it a.m and p.m....yes Bella enjoys sitting in it too.
I fasten them on with the plastic 'ties' snip the excess plastic off.
I also have hay in their trays too :D

I use the baskets too, fill it a.m and p.m....yes Bella enjoys sitting in it too.
I fasten them on with the plastic 'ties' snip the excess plastic off.
I also have hay in their trays too :D

Yes I still have it in their trays, they only use one end - I'm actually thinking of just putting megazorb up one end as when i clean everyday the top end where they eat from is bone dry and clean :roll: no wonder I go through so much :lol:

I tried the willow baskets on the floor but they just tipped them up, I have to be careful where I put their hay or their hygiene is out the window!..:roll:

The pair in the shed have a full round hanging basket hanging with their hay in, plus a litter tray full and it all over the floor :lol:

One of the enclosures has a round one mounted on the wire and another uses a half moon one

Thanks everyone for all the replys- I love the bunny sat in the basket photo- sooo cute!

The half moon baskets look nice. I also like the hay expert ones. I think though i want something long lasting for them.

so how many times daily would a rack this size need filling per rabbit?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hay-...=hay+rack&msg=MSG_SEARCH_ONE_MATCHING_PRODUCT

ive got two of those and dont like them as they are too small and dont open very wide, i prefer these ones
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/accessories/hay_racks which ive got in my other hutch

ive got two of those and dont like them as they are too small and dont open very wide, i prefer these ones
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/accessories/hay_racks which ive got in my other hutch

Thanks how many times a day do you fill that? The other ones i have are these. I just end up putting loads of hay on the floor, but i think a hay rack with the daily allowance of hay would be better so i can regulate what they are eating etc and also so that i can keep it off the floor- although that is there favourite place for eating and this rack they throw on the floor and pick the hay out.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/accessories/hay_racks/13403

I think the hay rack is nice, but i'm wanting hay racks to go out in the runs rather than on the hutch interior. so i want them to be able to fit on these metal runs.

I agree, way too small and expensive for what they hold. I guess you'd be refilling it a lot in a day! I think the twisters are better than them but even them are quite small.

All you can do is keep refilling when it's getting low, depends how much hay your bunneh/s eat really.

I agree, way too small and expensive for what they hold. I guess you'd be refilling it a lot in a day! I think the twisters are better than them but even them are quite small.

Plus nothing seems to get eaten out of the green racks they don't seem to like it from them for some reason. I'd just love to find a place other than the floor where they prefer to eat from :)

Yes i'm finding it strange how commercial pet store stuff is so inappropriate for many aspects of rabbit care.

Back