• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shavings!

JLG

Mama Doe
Oh dear, having returned to buns after a long long time, i have been using top quality wood shavings on top of newspaper, with straw on top. :oops:
Apparently this is BAD!
please can someone explain why? I have a horse so i can easily get alternative bedding for the little ones, but I'm curious as to why shavings are bad for buns.

thanks

thankyou so much - I will take the shavings back to the stable for my big boy and the little ones will get some megazorb or something similar.
:D

I just use hay on top of newspaper, Megazorb isn't necessary unless you have a particular preference for using it :wave:

I use megazorb with hay on top. I get mine from farmways at hexham. With you having a horse, if you come across a supplier nearer to Newcastle, could you let me Know? Cheers x

Mine get a few handfuls of hay in their litter tray, nothing else.

In you post you've said you are using straw, do the buns have hay aswell?

o_O i tought shavings only caused the liver damage in ratties. I was under the impression that there's no medical evidence to suggest it caused it in bunnies :shock:

I use it in their littertray coz it's cheap, easy to get and very absorbant. Would it do them harm if its just in their litter tray?

I now use towels for the hutch floor and for the litter tray i'm using megazorb with hay over it. I also use wood cat pellets on there own for trays and i use newspaper with megazorb ontop and hay ontop of that sometimes. Variation depending on how i feel. I also have a large bag of shavings that i use where-ever when i run out of stuff and i'm waiting for a redelivery of megazorb etc.

Ambience x

o_O i tought shavings only caused the liver damage in ratties. I was under the impression that there's no medical evidence to suggest it caused it in bunnies :shock:

I use it in their littertray coz it's cheap, easy to get and very absorbant. Would it do them harm if its just in their litter tray?

I'd say so. Hay on its own is cheap in the litter trays, and as long as they are empited often it doesn't really matter is the hay absorbs the wee, the buns don't tend to spend too much time in them.

Thanks all, I cleared the hutch yesterday and put newspaper down with megazorb on top, plus straw. They get hay to eat, not really to sit on (I'm a horsy person so to me, hay is for eating and straw is for pooping on!)
This morning they had totally trashed everything again, ripped up newspaper everywhere etc etc so I assume that's how they like things.
:roll:

Linda B, have pm'd you.

I use shavings :? but only in their living quater upstairs never in their litter trays, for that I use the wood pellets, they never wee on the sawdust or soil it for that matter, they use their trays, only the lower level/kennel is not sawdust which they do poo on as their hay racks are in there but don't wee.
I've never had a prob with the shavings?

I'm new and was unaware shavings were an issue until recently. I've cut them back to a handful in the corners of his bedroom. He doesn't sleep there, but uses it as a toilet.

I'm new and was unaware shavings were an issue until recently. I've cut them back to a handful in the corners of his bedroom. He doesn't sleep there, but uses it as a toilet. :roll: At least it keeps the rest of the hutch clean. I did buy a litter tray, but he thinks it's a digging box! :roll::lol:

Gulp!:shock: I'm already being regarded as 'knowing too much about rabbits' by friends and family....I might try to phase out shavings gradually. When I first got my bunny I had them all over the hutch, thinking I was being kind. He just swept them out of the way, which is why I now just put them in his toilet spots. Clever boy knows better than his mummy. :oops:

Back