• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is our 'lean to' a suitable bunny home?

Little Leo

Young Bun
Sorry if anyone's already read my post in the welfare section but I haven't had many replies and I'm a little anxious to find out if what I've done is ok.

I have recently taken in a spayed 3 year old female, despite having Leo, my 7 year old, unneutured male. I know they can't be homed together and am looking at my friend taking Fifi in as a house bunny but for the time being I have to look after her until this is decided.

I have transformed our lean to, which measures 4 1/2ft by 7ft, into her little home, complete with crate, littler tray, toys and room to hop about/sprawl out.

During the day I am out at work but in the evening my boyfriend has Leo in the back room, with his toys etc, and I let Fifi have full run of the kitchen, hallway and front room for a bit. She also gets some outdoors time, as she was previously kept outside.

Can anyone please advise if she has enough room in the day time and if there's anything to improve her current living situation (bar finding her a new, loving home already). I would hate to think she is miserable with us :cry:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

The usual space guidlines given on here for a pair of buns is a 6X2 hutch with attached 6X4 run. My maths adds this up to 36 square feet.

Your 4.5X7 lean-to is 31.5 square feet according to my dodgy adding up! Adding the free range time, I'd say your bunny has plenty of space. :D :)

Have you considered getting Leo neutered and bonding them together? I know seven seems pretty old to get a bunny done but I got my Cloud sapyed age 7+ and she was fine. It'd be less invasive surgery for a male bunny too. Then they can share all that space and have a companion too. :love:

Sorry if I'm missing something, but why can't an unneutered male live with a spayed female? I thought they could. I guess the male would annoy the female a lot, but I thought they could live together . . . :?

Thanks, Georgie, that's great advice. I am a little apprehensive about having Leo 'done' as I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him - he's my baby!

Emm-Jane, thank you, will also pop a picture of the gorgeous Fifi up to show her off :lol:

Hope this works!

themooch01

hover over the image and the IMG code appears at the bottom - paste that instead :)

Alternatively just put
themooch01

Edit - hmm, somethings not working!

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm missing something, but why can't an unneutered male live with a spayed female? I thought they could. I guess the male would annoy the female a lot, but I thought they could live together . . . :?

Hi Morgana, I'm not a rabbit expert, so don't quote me on this, but I think it's just the general behaviour of both the female & male rabbits which makes them living together not great. The male is going to be somewhat feisty & the female is going to feel pestered pretty much all the time. I'm guessing they could fight also, although I haven't experienced this with Leo and Fifi yet :?

Can anyone elaborate?

Hi Morgana, I'm not a rabbit expert, so don't quote me on this, but I think it's just the general behaviour of both the female & male rabbits which makes them living together not great. The male is going to be somewhat feisty & the female is going to feel pestered pretty much all the time. I'm guessing they could fight also, although I haven't experienced this with Leo and Fifi yet :?

Can anyone elaborate?

lol, if anything i have found it tends to be more the other way round:lol:
even then, most dont and are fine :)

Thanks, Vee-Jay. So do you think the chasing will die down and they will be a little more harmonious with each other? Or will they never be able to be left together unsupervised?

i would never recommend putting any bunnies together unless they are both done, if the male isnt he will just annoy the female all the time, and she will get fed up with it (dont blame them!:lol:). She is very pretty!:love:

Can anyone elaborate?

Do these lot look as though they don't like each other or feel pestered? :lol:

037.jpg

I've been showing this one a lot on here just because I love it but its also relevant to this thread :oops:

057.jpg

Both the whites are boys and uneutered. Their wifeys love then very much. I would obviously have them done if issues arise but as yet they are very happy.

Thanks, Vee-Jay. So do you think the chasing will die down and they will be a little more harmonious with each other? Or will they never be able to be left together unsupervised?

when bonding, is best to get both rabbits neauterd/spayed. Then you can bond them in a neutrual territory. there might be some chasing, but that is to establish dominance, they usually calm down eventually, but keep an eye on them.
If they start to proper fight they need seperated

Hi again everyone, ok, so I just got home and took the following picture (excuse the mess, I'm going to clean up before I have tea :lol: )

PrincessPen.jpg

What do you think? Is it ok or am I dellusional? Opinions please :)

Back